Subject: Re: oobrowser on Win95/NT?

From: "Dewey M. Sasser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 96 09:45:46 -0600

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

>>>>> "Patrick" == Patrick R Berny, F-SDC <<[email-masked]> (Tel +41 \(1\) 9286361)> writes:

    Patrick> Hi there: I'm pretty novice to emacs. I know there is the
    Patrick> oobrowser package available in order to have a nice class
    Patrick> hierarchy view etc. I just skimmed over the documentation
    Patrick> and wondered if it really works just under Unix-Motif
    Patrick> windowing machines. If anybody has some experience using
    Patrick> oobrowser (under Win95/NT), please let me know what all
    Patrick> has to be put in the .emacs file to be able to use it for
    Patrick> C++ classes.  A second question: does anybody have
    Patrick> experience using the infodock environment for emacs?

If you're talking about the C++ browser by Gerd Mollmann, no it works
under NT, OS/2 and unix.  I have been using it quite successfully
under all of those OS's (with emacs, of course).

It requires hilit19.

Here's the .emacs code required:

	  (require 'browse "br-brows")
	  (require 'br-utils)

To use it, I got the OS/2 distribution from
hobbes.nmsu.edu:/os2/unix/?????? (I just looked, and couldn't find it.
It's probably available elsewhere, though), unpacked that and compiled
the source under Visual C++ 2.2 (It has an external C++ parser sort of
like "TAGS" does).  I had to comment out the file globing code (I
think I know what library it uses, but I was saving minutes) and
probably make a few other small changes.  The result is that you
cannot use "ebrowse *.cpp" to generate tags for all your c++ files
unless your shell expands wild cards.  I use it like this:

find . -name "*.cpp" -o -name "*.h" -print > /tmp/filelist
ebrowse -i filelist

This generates a file called BROWSE in the current directory,
containing browser information for all .cpp and .h files.

It's a really, really nice browser.  I use it regularly for navigating
C++ code, even code I know.

If you would like, I'll give you the NT binary I made.

Dewey 

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dewey M. Sasser 			voice: (617) 494-6000 
[email-masked]                     PGP mail preferred.
					PGP Key from public servers  

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Advertising may be described as the science of arresting human          |
|  intelligence long enough to get money from it.                         |
|                                                                         |
|                                 -Stephen Leacock                        |
|                                                                         |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|