Subject: Re: [oo-browser] Re: OO-Browser

From: Harri Pasanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 19:13:19 +0200

Brian Tibbetts writes:
> > From: Mats Lidell <[email-masked]>
> > Date: 12 Dec 1996 23:10:07 +0100
> > >>>>> "Dan" == Dan Schmidt <[email-masked]> writes:
> > 
> >     Dan> I have it working fine under Windows 95.  I had to do a few
> >     Dan> things:
> > 
> > [ things delete ]
> > 
> > I removed some calls to sort(1) in the e-lisp code. I think that was
> > it. Of course I don't get things sorted. (But I haven't installed the
> > Unix-tools yet.
> > 
> > (Bug-report: It would be nice if OO-Browser could use the sort built
> > into emacs if using exec isn't promissing.)
> > 
> 
> What about Jeff Paquette's ([email-masked]) porting effort; I
> believe that he has a real sort.  He's his site info if useful:
> 
> http://www.ici.net/customers/paquette/WinProgramming.html
> or
> http://www.tiac.net/users/paquette/WinProgramming.html
> 

I think I missed the beginning of this thread... anyway...

I've run OO-Browser with the Cygnus supports GNU utilities, which including
Unix compatible sort. See:

ftp://ftp.cs.washington.edu/pub/ntemacs/latest/i386/

There was a shell script that OO-browser uses that I had to turn into
a .bat script, and which used sed. The sed scripts broke the versions
of sed I had. (Perhaps a later version of Cygnus tools has a better
sed?)

Anyway after various hacks and experiments I finally got together a
.bat script that uses two! different sed executables, but does work.
The end result is that I can browse both C++ and Python on NT, using
patched OO-Browser + GNU Emacs 19.33.

I don't have time to make this into a shape for distribution, but if
there is interest I could mail these files for further hacking/(well,
cleanup and documentation mostly).

Harri

---

From: Mats Lidell <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Dec 1996 23:10:07 +0100

[ things delete ]

    Dan> Is anyone still maintaining oo-browser?  I tried joining the
    Dan> mailing list by mailing <[email-masked]> as
    Dan> specified in the readme, but was told the account no longer
    Dan> exists.

Yes! Bob Weiner has returned from wherever he was. You can find more
information here: "http://www.infodock.com/"

There are active mailinglists too: [email-masked],
[email-masked].

%% Mats

---

From: Dan Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Dec 1996 14:16:53 -0500

"Paul B. Poh" <[email-masked]| writes:
| 
| I was wondering if anyone has gotten the OO-Browser 
| package to work with NT Emacs. I installed it but
| when I try to build the OOBR file, I get the error
| "Spawning child process: exec format error"
| 
| Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have it working fine under Windows 95.  I had to do a few things:

0. I use 4NT as my command shell under Emacs; I don't know if that's
   relevant.

1. Get the cygnus gnu-win32 distribution from
   http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/.  The Beta 16 build works
   fine for me; the current release is Beta 17.

2. Get GNU find for win95 at
   http://www.tiac.net/users/paquette/WinProgramming.html.

3. Make sure that your emacs can see the following executables: bash,
   find, etags, egrep, tr, sed, sort.

4. Edit br-c-tags and take out the -h argument to egrep.

5. Edit br-c-ft.el so that the apply invocation looks like this
   (sorry, I don't have the original source for a diff):

    (apply 'call-process "bash"
           nil nil nil
           ;; If no etags program in exec-directory, use one in user's $PATH.
           (expand-file-name "br-c-tags" br-directory)
           (let ((etags (expand-file-name "etags" exec-directory)))
             (if (file-executable-p etags) etags "etags"))
           br-tags-file
           (mapcar 'expand-file-name
                   (delq nil (append br-sys-search-dirs br-lib-search-dirs))))

I think that was enough to get it working.

Is anyone still maintaining oo-browser?  I tried joining the mailing
list by mailing <[email-masked]> as specified in the
readme, but was told the account no longer exists.

Dan