Subject: RE: oobrowser

From: "Patrick R. Berny, F-SDC" <[email-masked]> (Tel +41 \(1\) 9286361)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 10:17:36 +0200

Hi Gerald:

I've already given the ftp address in my mail to the ntemacs users list. but
her it is again: ftp://ftp.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/xemacs/infodock . Enjoy!

Btw, all kind of languages are supported (see below, extract from features of
oobrowser)

Kind regards,

Patrick

OO-Browser Features
*******************

The OO-Browser is a multi-windowed, interactive object-oriented class browser
similar in use to the well-known Smalltalk browsers.  It is unique in a
number of respects foremost of which is that it works well with a
multiplicity of object-oriented languages.  It provides both textual
views within an editor and graphical views under the X window system.

* Support for all popular OO Languages on UNIX
----------------------------------------------

  ** Contains support for Eiffel, C++, Objective-C, Common Lisp and its
     Object System (CLOS), Java, Python, and Smalltalk class browsing.  
     Additionally, support for browsing large amounts of material in Info 
     format by node name (a popular online documentation format with cross 
     references and hierarchical structure) is included.

  ** Method browsing is supported for C++, Objective-C, Eiffel, Java, 
     Python and CLOS.  CLOS supports browsing all elements defined with 
     (def* constructs.  In-source feature browsing is also supported for 
     all of these languages.  One simply selects a feature name to jump to 
     its corresponding source.  Method name overloading in C++ and inherited
     feature renaming in Eiffel are fully supported.

  ** C code browsing is supported for C++, Objective-C and C source code.

  ** Objective-C category and formal protocol browsing are supported.

  ** C++ parameterized template classes and methods are supported.

  ** Immediate switching among languages is allowed.  One can switch
     from Eiffel browsing to C++ browsing in an instant, if so desired.
     Or simply run two OO-Browsers side by side.

  ** Multiple inheritance support is built-in, where applicable.

  ** Statistics on classes and Environments may be displayed.

  ** Language-specific class information may be shown.  Presently this
     feature is supported only for Eiffel and Python.  For Eiffel, a 
     listing of class parents, attributes, routines and best guess 
     (highly accurate) list of routine calls may be displayed.  Outputs 
     from the Eiffel 'short' and 'flat' commands may also be shown.  
     For Python this feature is used to browse documentation strings in 
     classes and methods.

> NEXTSTEP?  Really?  Can you give a pointer to it for FTP... also does it
> support browsing of Objective C classes or just C++ classes (given that
> the latter isn't used a huge amount under NS and that prior to 3.3 the
> compiler's support for it was pure toilet).