Subject: Coding system issues (1)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 08:24:22 +0300 (IDT)

It seems that (setq-default enable-multibyte-characters nil) also
disables part of the DOS EOL conversions.  Specifically, if you create
a new buffer, type text there, then save the buffer, you get
Unix-style linefeeds at EOL, although the modeline quite deceptively
says "\".  E.g., try this:

	   emacs -q
	   M-: (setq-default enable-multibyte-characters nil) RET
	   C-x b my-own-buffer RET

Now type a few lines of text, then press C-x C-s foobar RET.  Exit or
suspend Emacs and look at the file foobar; you will see a Unix-style
file.

Is this so by design?

Disabling EOL conversion when multibyte characters aren't supported
might make sense on Unix (since it returns to the pre-20 behavior),
but not on DOS_NT, I think.

If you agree, then when multibyte characters support is disabled,
Emacs on DOS_NT needs either to bind coding-system-for-read/write or
call find-operation-coding-system (and then the latter should test the
value of enable-multibyte-characters to return emacs-mule-dos/unix
when it's nil).  I prefer the latter solution.

---

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 18:01:49 -0400

emacs -q

This is definitely a bug.  Saving this buffer should peform EOL conversion
even though enable-multibyte-characters is nil.

Handa can you please work on this with highest priority?

It is wrong on Unix too.  EOL conversion should work for all formats
on all systems, regardless of enable-multibyte-characters.

---

From: Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 10:01:51 +0900

> Handa can you please work on this with highest priority?

Ok, I'm now working on that.

> on all systems, regardless of enable-multibyte-characters.

I agree.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
[email-masked]