Subject: Re: Terminal coding systems on DOS_NT

From: Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:49:29 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> mule-cmds.el disables terminal and input coding systems in the Mule menus 
> when window-system is non-nil.  I think this should be enabled for 
> MS-DOS.  I'm not sure about NT, but it probably should be enabled there 
> also.  Geoff?

> Btw, why are these coding systems irrelevant for X-Windows?

Terminal coding system is used only when Emacs is running on some
terminal.  Keyboard coding system is for accepting multibyte
characters sent from terminal (perhaps via some input method embeded
in the terminal).  For instance, kterm (Japanized xterm) can have Umm
input method which sends iso-2022-jp or euc-japan to a program running
under kterm, cxterm (Chinese xterm) sends big5 or euc-china, hanterm
sends euc-korea.

So both of them has no meaning when (at least) X window system is
being used.  But, I don't know about DOS and NT.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
[email-masked]