Subject: EOL conversion on MSDOS and MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 19:31:42 +0300 (IDT)

Geoff, there's something that bothers me in the way Emacs 20.0.93 
computes and displays the EOL conversion.  There is a seeming 
inconsistency between the setting of coding system for reading and for 
writing.

When Emacs reads a file that is not in the alist of known file types, it 
sets the coding system to undecided.  If the file happens to be a 
Unix-style (like e.g. those in Emacs source distribution), it ends up 
being *-unix, and Emacs displays `:' in the modeline.  However, if you
then save the file, the coding system is set to undecided-dos, and Emacs 
adds CR characters.  But the coding system displayed on the modeline does 
not change.  It will only change if you revert the buffer or restart 
Emacs.

I think this is confusing.  When users look at the modeline, they should 
be able to determine how will the file be written to disk.  So I think 
the coding system should be by default set to undecided-dos on reading 
the file (unless the file matches in the buffer-type-alist or is on 
untranslated filesystem etc.).