Subject: Processing captured emacs keys

From: "Michael Welsh Duggan" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 May 1997 09:17:05 -0400

I have a version of emacs sitting here on my desk which captures the
Alt-Tab key combination without the OS interfering.  Due to the way
this works (using RegisterHotKey), a function is more appropriate than
a variable for turning this processing on and off.  What should a
function like this look like?

Keep in mind that we can trap other key events usually usurped by the
OS, such as Ctrl-Esc, and Ctrl-Alt-Del.  So we may want a way to turn
these on or off individually.

-- 
Michael Duggan
([email-masked])

---

From: Andrew Innes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 16:35:35 +0100 (BST)

>these on or off individually.

Yes, I think individual control is necessary.

Well, Ctrl-Alt-Del can't be trapped at the application level, but for
the others you could presumably write a function analogous to
global-set-key that does the necessary work to register special
keychords as hot keys (called, say, `register-hot-key').  That is, it
would accept a keychord specified in any of the formats supported by
global-set-key, perhaps with an optional argument that if non-nil means
unregister the keychord.  It would do nothing if the keychord was not
special.

Binding the keychord should still be done by global-set-key or using
keymaps etc, as now.

AndrewI