Subject: Re: wheel-mouse operations

From: [email-masked] (Peter Steiner)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:03:47 +0200

Geoff wrote on Wed, 14 Oct 1998 05:51:58 +0200:

> I have added these bits to the FAQ at:
> 
> http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html#intelli-problems
> 
> I would like to fix these problems for the next release, though.  I
> skimmed through the Intellimouse SDK for any changes since the initial
> release that might cause these problems, but I couldn't immediately
> find any.  However, I'm not familiar with these devices, and could
> easily have overlooked something.  Is there anyone out there who
> understands what has changed since the devices initially appeared such
> that it requires these "compatibility mode" options to be used, and
> what should be changed in the event handling to use the devices
> without the compatibility options?  (Also note that I do not have one
> of these devices...)
> 
> -geoff

You made me have a look. The first thing I looked at was the Logitech
Helpfile. There are some notes that make me feel a little bit sick ;-)

"If you use Microsoft® Office 97(TM) compatible applications
extensively, you might wish to select the Office 97 Compatible Scroll
feature for smoother scrolling."

Note that I happily could avoid installing Office 97 to my PC. But all
these things about MS don't help us further...

More helpful facts: I looked at the output of Spy++ in a wheel-aware
application (seems that most are?)

- An Office 97 compatible wheel turn (one step) triggers a
  WM_MOUSEACTIVATE followed by a
  WM_MOUSEWHEEL

- A "default" wheel turn triggers 
  WM_INITMENUPOPUP
  WM_NCHITTEST
  WM_VSCROLL with SB_LINEDOWN
    (as many times as specified in mouse properties)
  WM_VSCROLL with SB_ENDSCROLL

I left out the WM_PAINT messages. If you need more detailed behaviour
report of my mouse wheel, let me know!

Peter

--
Peter Steiner
[email-masked]