Subject: How do *you* print to HP laser jets?

From: "Robertson G Davenport" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 96 14:29:57 EDT

Hi again,

  I'd like to print source code from Emacs using smaller fonts than the 
printer normally uses, but so far my printing attempts use the default HPLJ 
font.  I have a networked HPLJ4 at work and a local Epson ActionLaser1500 at 
home - neither of which are postscript capable.  (I'm running Win95 and Emacs 
19.33.1 on both machines, too).
  I'd also like to figure out how to print small sheets (small pages with 
small fonts) to go into my small notebook (4"x6").

  I can do some of this with a utility called 4PRINT and can probably adjust 
the various code that's been posted on this list recently to use it as the 
command to print - but it's old and has some problems and I have to believe 
other people out there do things differently and I could learn from them.

  So, how do *you* print files?  Are there other/newer utilities that control 
printing to HPLJs? (HPCL?)  Searching the net netted me only utilities from 
92 and earlier - also making me thing I'm going about this the wrong way.

  Any pointers, advice, words of wisdom all gladly accepted.  If desired I 
can post a summary of my discoveries to this list later.

  Thanks for reading,

  Rob