Subject: sending deleted files to recycle bin from dired

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 08:11:00 -0500

I'm not sure if this is an Emacs question or a Windows 95 question.  I 
     was wondering if it is possible to get the dired mode to send deleted 
     files to the recycle bin instead of permanently deleting them.  I've 
     been burnt a few times with needing to undelete files erroneously 
     deleted that didn't go to the recycle bin.  

     It's a shame Microsoft didn't make the default deletion behavior to 
     send files to the recycle bin!  Or at least a user-configurable 
     option!

---

From: Peter Breton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 11:55:00 -0500

RAY>      I'm not sure if this is an Emacs question or a Windows 95
 RAY> question.  I was wondering if it is possible to get the dired
 RAY> mode to send deleted files to the recycle bin instead of
 RAY> permanently deleting them.  I've been burnt a few times with
 RAY> needing to undelete files erroneously deleted that didn't go to
 RAY> the recycle bin.

You could simply write your own function that does this. However, I
would guess that dragging files to the recycle bin does more than
simply move them to a different directory (eg, I would think that it
has to remember where they were originally located), and I'm not sure
how you would do that.

This is an interesting issue too, as one could write an Emacs package
that provided "undelete" functionality and would work across all
platforms (in fact, you might look to see if someone has already done
just that). But I doubt that this would be integrated with the
Recycle Bin, or the Mac trash can, or whatever.

 RAY>      It's a shame Microsoft didn't make the default deletion
 RAY> behavior to send files to the recycle bin!  Or at least a
 RAY> user-configurable option!

I believe Emacs deletes files (eg, with delete-file) by calling the
corresponding Win32 API function, whereas the "drag-n-drop to recycle
bin" is done with Explorer's Shell extensions. So these are different
critters. I am not by any means a Win32 expert, though, so if anyone
knows better, please correct me.

			Peter

---

From: Jonathan Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 12:29:01 +0000

> bin" is done with Explorer's Shell extensions. So these are different

I haven't checked it out, but one thing that Norton Recycle, from the
Norton utilities, adds is that files deleted from the command line are
put into the recycling bin.  I'll bet the same would be true for files
deleted from Emacs.

+===================================================+
| Jonathan Arnold (mailto:[email-masked])   |
| Programmer, Roger Wagner Publishing's HyperStudio |
| http://world.std.com/~jdarnold  CIS: 72762,1272   |
+===================================================+