Subject: feature request: sending deleted files to recycle bin from dired

From: Christopher Stacy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 19:34:51 -0400

Back in January, Laurence Brevard identified a function in the Win32 SDK
called SHFileOperation that supports deleting to the Recycle Bin; you use
the FOF_ALLOWUNDO flag in the SHFILEOPSTRUCT structure.

It'd be really spiffy if someone would hack some way to call this in fileio.c.  
Maybe "delete-file" should #ifdef WINDOWSNT obey the variable
"delete-uses-recycle-bin" and call the function "recycle-file",
which does the SHFileOperation.  This would also allow users to write
handlers that called "recycle-file" themselves, if needed.

(The normal "delete-file" can safely call the recycle function even on
NFS mounted files: I just tried it in the Explorer, and it knows what's
going on and confirms, "Really delete this file?")

I guess we would also want a (m-x) empty-recycle-bin function;
probably just some other bits in a SHFILEOPSTRUCT packet.

(If I had a Win32 development environment and a clue, I'd do the
work myself.  But all I have on here is EMACS, so I'll just recursively
throw myself on the mercy of Geoff and Andrew.  THANKS!)

Chris