Subject: Re: w3 ?

From: David Jeffers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 18:29:24 -0700

>>>>> "Hemal" == Hemal Pandya <[email-masked]> writes:

    Hemal> Hi

    Hemal> Sometinme ago someone had posted here a set of settings
    Hemal> that need to be done to get w3 running. I did that and was
    Hemal> able to run w3, except for the following problems:

    Hemal> - The post said to setq w3-running-xemacs to t, but that
    Hemal> never worked for me, so I kept it nil.

    Yep, my post also said it didn't hurt...

    Hemal> - I kept getting the error Wrong type argument: stringp,
    Hemal> w3-menu-toggle-menubar Now I run w3 with menu bar off, this
    Hemal> is not much of trouble since I don't like menubars anyways.

    W3 is set to use xemacs also but alas ntemacs can't do menus..

    Hemal> - I had to turn visible-bell on before starting w3,
    Hemal> othewise it would make a big racker. This is a problem,
    Hemal> since visible-bell does not work in NTEmacs (or at least is
    Hemal> does not work for me)

    Hmmm. Visible-bell gets turned off on my machine (win95).

    Hemal> - I was not able to see graphics. I have KeyView installed
    Hemal> which understands a lot of formats, but I have not been
    Hemal> able figure out how to tell w3 to use it.

    Hemal> - Links were not shown in colors.

    Again, text-mode only in Ntemacs...

    Hemal> - Sometimes, other application windows don't get created,
    Hemal> without getting any error. For example, running MSDEV from
    Hemal> command line comes back to command line silently.

    Hemal> - ALT-TAB does not work does not work for switching between
    Hemal> applications.

    Hemal> Now I have downloaded w3-3.0.15 and it does not work even
    Hemal> upto the above levels. The problem is: it does not follow
    Hemal> any links! The error message I get is: Wrong number of
    Hemal> arguments: (lambda (node) (setq
    Hemal> w3-scratch-face-font-spec......  The error message about
    Hemal> 1000 characters.

    Hemal> I also get the menubar error.

    Hemal> Can anyone help? I have stopped using netscape and other
    Hemal> browsers entirely, and would really like to get this
    Hemal> running properly. Can someone send me her w3 configuration
    Hemal> file?

    Well, I posted my config file for w3 to ntemacs-users some time
    ago and I'm still using it. But I haven't tried 3.0.15. Color
    links require the use of style sheets which I could never get
    to work, but I'm not sure that they'll work with anything but
    xemacs anyway.

    BTW -the web page for W3 (I don't have the link) answers
    many of your questions.

    David Jeffers
<[email-masked]>

---

From: Hemal Pandya <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Sep 1996 16:42:22 +0530

Hi

Sometinme ago someone had posted here a set of settings that need to
be done to get w3 running. I did that and was able to run w3, except
for the following problems:

- The post said to setq w3-running-xemacs to t, but that never worked
  for me, so I kept it nil.

- I kept getting the error 
  Wrong type argument: stringp, w3-menu-toggle-menubar
  Now I run w3 with menu bar off, this is not much of trouble since I
  don't like menubars anyways.

- I had to turn visible-bell on before starting w3, othewise it would
  make a big racker. This is a problem, since visible-bell does not
  work in NTEmacs (or at least is does not work for me)

- I was not able to see graphics. I have KeyView installed which
  understands a lot of formats, but I have not been able figure out
  how to tell w3 to use it.

- Links were not shown in colors.

- Sometimes, other application windows don't get created, without
  getting any error. For example, running MSDEV from command line
  comes back to command line silently.

- ALT-TAB does not work does not work for switching between
  applications.

Now I have downloaded w3-3.0.15 and it does not work even upto the
above levels. The problem is: it does not follow any links! The error
message I get is:
Wrong number of arguments: (lambda (node) (setq
w3-scratch-face-font-spec......
The error message about 1000 characters.

I also get the menubar error.

Can anyone help? I have stopped using netscape and other browsers
entirely, and would really like to get this running properly. Can
someone send me her w3 configuration file?

TIA

-H

-- 
Hemal Pandya --- Chief Architect --- ConnectSoft Ruksun Software India 
mailto:[email-masked]  phone:+91(212)678286

First He created computers, but they couldn't make mistakes
So He created programmers