Subject: ANNOUNCE: INN 1.4unoff4 release
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp,news.software.b

This is an unofficial release of INN, called "1.4unoff4".

This includes lots of bug fixes, including one security-related fix.
(well two, if you include the multi-message-id cancel munging)
Here's a detailed breakdown:

New since unoff3:
	- remove call to ARTfromboss() in nnrpd/article.c.  ARTfromboss()
	  connects to localhost (innd) and does an XPATH call.  It's
	  very expensive (slow), only rarely is it useful, and under
	  certain conditions will be called very very often. [barr]
	- * security fix to samples/checkgroups.  Prevent substitution in
	  here-document call to docheckgroups.  [Mike Brudenell
	  <[email-masked]>]
	- fix nntpsend to allow passing new -c flag to innxmit.
	  [from [email-masked] (Nathan J. Mehl)]
	- fixed inews.c to have same quoted text checking rules as nnrpd.
	- change nntpsend to name batchfiles according to site name, not
	  host name, to allow for multiple innxmits per site.
	  [from [email-masked] (Michael Hucka)]
	- add '-C' flag to innd.  turns off cancels
	- streaming updates.  (plus misc doc typo fixes)  Also updates
	  for '-L' flag to innd and new 'crosspost' program.
	  [from Jerry Aguirre]
	- fix to art.c. Avoid dbz errors and crashes if someone tries
	  a Control: cancel or Supercedes: with multiple or invalid
	  message-id's [Idea from [email-masked] (Harry Bochner)].
	- fix for frontends/Makefile.  Fixed typo in OWNER/ROWNER which
	  would cause make install to set the wrong ownerships.  [ Reported
	  by [email-masked] (Jerry Aguirre)]
	- fix for newnews command. [ Per Hedeland <[email-masked]> ]
	- fix expire to remove history entries with arrival timestamps
	  more than a day in the future [ idea from Steinar Haug,
	  <[email-masked]> ]
	- fix for overchan to remove spurious error messages
	  [ Miquel van Smoorenburg <[email-masked]> ]
	- new sharedactive.patch to stop core dump on Solaris 2.4 (gcc)
	  [ [email-masked] (Russell Vincent) ]

Download the release from
ftp://ftp.math.psu.edu/pub/INN/

or one of the following mirrors:

USA:
ftp://ftp.orst.edu/pub/mirrors/ftp.math.psu.edu/INN
ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/packages/news/transport/inn_unoff/
ftp://ftp.fibr.net/pub/software/UNIX/INN
In Europe:
ftp://ftp.oleane.net/pub/mirrors/unix/inn-unoff/
ftp://ftp.univ-lyon1.fr/pub/mirrors/unix/inn-unoff/
ftp://ftp.belnet.be:/packages/INN
South Africa (GMT+2):
ftp://ftp.is.co.za/networking/news/inn/
Japan:
ftp://ftp.nisiq.net/news/inn
Taiwan:
ftp://NCTUCCCA.edu.tw/packages/news/inn-unoff

For up-to-date information about this release, check out
http://www.math.psu.edu/barr/INN.html

--Dave