Subject: ANNOUNCE: INN 1.4unoff2 release
Newsgroups: news.software.b,news.software.nntp

There's lots of new features, bug fixes, and one security fix in this
release over the previous "unoff1" release.  The security fix a kinda
obscure one, but not really that much less obscure than the ones fixed
"sec" and "sec2" releases.  If you're running INN 1.4sec or sec2, I
really would encourage you to upgrade.   (sorry, I have no plans to
offer a patch from older releases.  Just copy in your current
config.data after adding the new keywords as described in
UNOFF-NOTES/README and do a 'make update'.)

I still haven't integrated XBATCH.  I plan on updating the patchkit
for XBATCH to include the fixes posted here to get it to patch
cleanly and work against unoff2.  I also haven't integrated
the 'ident' stuff for nnrpd which was sent to me.

If you grabbed the "unoff2-PRE" release, note the "+" signs below
for things which have added since that release.  Additionally
the security fix has been fixed.  There have been 178 downloads
of unoff2-PRE (but no I didn't get that many reports *cough*  :-) )
and I have gotten very few reports of trouble.  The biggest one seems
to be still problems with Linux (sockets aren't quite stable enough
for HAVE_UNIX_DOMAIN DO+streaming).

Again, this release is my fault, and thus you shouldn't bug
real author of INN with bugs you find here.  Here's a list of
what's new since unoff1:

--------

	- SECURITY FIX to samples/parsecontrol.
	- applied patch for AUTHINFO GENERIC support (Chris Lewis)
	- Fix nntpsend's PPID variable to be PARENTPID so it is
	compatible with bash.  (Linux's /bin/sh is bash)
	- Fix rc.news so it doesn't redirect stuff to /dev/console.
	Since it runs as news this isn't necessarily writeable.  (as a
	bonus if you run rc.news as news from something other than
	the console you can control where the output goes)
	- basic checks to post.c to refuse posts with obviously broken
	From: lines (No '@', no '.' after '@') to meet RFC 1036. [from clewis]
	- relaxed checking of included text so it only applies to articles
	greater than 40 lines.  Treat lines beginning with ':' and
	'|' as quoted too.  (nnrpd/post.c) [modified, from clewis]
	- allow you to reject articles from bad sites by putting
	their path name in the exclude list of your ME entry
	(example:  ME/badguy1,badguy2:...). [from clewis]
	- Add -P flag to innxmit and nntpsend to allow setting of what
	outgoing port to use (instead of 119). [ from clewis ]
+	(and added checks to inncheck [[email-masked]])
	- fix obvious memory leak in makehistory [ from Don Lewis ]
	- some additions to innlog.awk to ignore cruft from innd and nntplink.
	- change innxmit so -S implies -s (since streaming mode isn't
	supported with xreplic).
	- Fix by Ulf Kieber for expireover so -a works as documented.
	- Small fix for tally.unwanted from J. Porter Clark
+	- Small fix for getlist from Matt Power
+	- Install.ms.1 incorrectly said you need HAVE_UNIX_DOMAIN to
+	DONT -- unix domain sockets work now in Solaris 2.[34].
+	- fix to art.c to prevent articles stored with Message-ID's of
+	length 254 or 255 from being created by innd.  (since they
+	will choke expire and/or dbz)  [[email-masked],
+	submitted by [email-masked]]
+	- fix to nc.c to stop core dump if INND_QUIET_BADLIST is something
+	other than the default "NULL". [[email-masked], from
+	[email-masked]]
+	- fix for pstat() in HPUX 9.x.  See HPUX.
+	- fix to ARTcancel (buff too short) [[email-masked]]
+	- fix makehistory -buvn to ignore articles added after it
+	started.  Avoids problems if it runs while an expire completes
+	[[email-masked]]
+	- strip \r's from overview data -- some newsreaders choke on this
+	- small bugfix for streaming mods [[email-masked]]