Subject: Libertarian Party FAQ: Basic Information
From: [email-masked] (Joe Dehn)
Date: 5 Sep 2002 09:12:55 GMT
Newsgroups: talk.politics.libertarian,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.answers,alt.answers,news.answers

Archive-name: libertarian/party/basic-info
Posting-Frequency: monthly

INTRODUCTION

  The Libertarian Party is the third-largest political party in the
  United States, running candidates for public office at all levels of
  government.  The LP supports individual liberties, the free market,
  less government, lower taxes, and a non-interventionist foreign
  policy.

  This FAQ tells how to get more information about the LP, how to
  contact the LP online, and how to become a member.

GETTING AN INFORMATION PACKET

  To receive a free information packet in the mail, call 800-682-1776
  and leave your name, address, and telephone number, or send this
  information in a message to "[email-masked]".

GETTING INFORMATION VIA THE WORLD-WIDE WEB

  The Libertarian Party maintains a WWW site at:

        http://www.lp.org/

  The following URLs may be useful for people seeking or creating links to
  specific information:

    * information from LP state affiliates

        http://www.lp.org/organization/states.html

    * candidates for public office

        http://www.lp.org/campaigns/candidates.php

    * the national LP Program

        http://www.lp.org/issues/program/

    * the national LP Platform

        http://www.lp.org/issues/platform/

    * articles from LP News

        http://www.lp.org/lpnews/

LIBERTARIAN PARTY NATIONAL OFFICE

  The Libertarian Party maintains a national office in Washington, DC.
  Contact this office for questions about membership, changes of
  address, and publications and other materials available for purchase.

    Libertarian Party                  E-Mail: [email-masked]
    2600 Virginia Ave. NW, Suite 100   Voice:  202-333-0008
    Washington, DC 20037               Fax:    202-333-0072

LIBERTARIAN PARTY NEWS

  "Libertarian Party NEWS" (LP News) is the monthly newspaper of the LP.

  For editorial matters, letters to the editor, and advertising information
  contact:

    Libertarian Party News             E-Mail: [email-masked]
    Bill Winter, Editor                Voice:  508-820-7340
    2600 Virginia Ave,, NW, Suite 100  Fax:    202-333-0072
    Washington, DC 20037

  To subscribe to LP News, see "membership form" below.  For change of
  address or to renew your subscription, contact the national office or
  use the forms at:

        http://www.lp.org/members/

MEMBERSHIP FORM

  To become a dues-paying member of the Libertarian Party or subscribe
  to LP News, use the online form at:

        http://www.lp.org/action/join.html

  Or you may print out, fill in, and return the following form together
  with $25 (or you may charge your dues to a credit card by providing
  that information on the form).

  Membership includes a subscription to LP News.

  Name___________________________________________________________
  Address________________________________________________________
  City_________________________________ State_____ Zip___________
  Phone (home)______________________ (work)______________________
  E-mail address_________________________________________________
  Employer_________________________ Occupation___________________

  __ Yes, I want to join the Libertarian Party.

   The Libertarian Party is the Party of Principle.  To publicly affirm
   what we believe -- and to ensure that our party never strays from our
   principles -- we ask our members to proudly sign this statement:

     I do not believe in or advocate the initiation of force as a means
     of achieving political or social goals.

      _____________________________________________
        [signature required for membership only]

  __ I do not want to join as a member at this time, but please
     sign me up as a subscriber to LP News.

  Please enclose a check or money order (no corporate checks please)
  for $25 payable to "Libertarian Party", or provide the following
  information to authorize billing to your credit card:

      [ ] Visa    [ ] Mastercard    [ ] AmEx    [ ] Discover
      Account #_____________________________  Exp. Date______________
      Signature______________________________________________________
                 [signature for credit card payment]

  Send this form and payment to:

              Libertarian Party
              2600 Virginia Avenue NW, Suite 100
              Washington, DC 20037

  (Government Mandated Notices:  The Federal Election Commission requires
   political committees to report the name, mailing address, and occupation
   and name of employer for each individual whose contributions aggregate
   in excess of $200 in a calendar year.  The IRS requires us to print
   "contributions are not tax-deductible" on all fundraising appeals.)