Subject: Welcome to misc.kids.info!
From: [email-masked] (Robyn Kozierok, misc.kids.info moderator)
Date: 11 May 2004 10:50:31 GMT
Newsgroups: misc.kids.info,misc.answers,news.answers

Archive-name: misc-kids/misc-kids-info-faq
Posting-Frequency: Weekly
Last-Modified: September 18, 1997
Version: 1.2

Welcome to misc.kids.info.  This group is moderated.

The charter is:

    For the periodic posting of informational posts and FAQ files related to
    groups in the misc.kids hierarchy.  Occasional one-time announcements 
    of interest to misc.kids readers (such as juvenile product recall,
    misc.kids picnics or photoalbums) may be crossposted here from misc.kids
    (and/or the appropriate subgroup(s)).  However, as a low volume
    newsgroup, birth announcements, web page announcements, etc. are not
    appropriate for this group.  Posts to this group should be informational; 
    discussion and questions will not appear here.  No advertising.  Posters
    should be aware that the moderator cannot do distributions for other
    regions, and that there may be moderation delays.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below I answer the most common questions that come up regarding what postings
are acceptable in misc.kids.info.

Q1. What are the requirements for periodic posts (FAQs) in this group?
Q2. What types of announcements are appropriate for this group?
Q3. Where can I find misc.kids FAQs that don't appear here, or which have 
    expired at my site?
Q4. If I can't post it here, where can I post it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q1. What are the requirements for periodic posts (FAQs) in this group?

A1. FAQs in this group have no format requirements.  They may be Q/A,
    compilations of postings from misc.kids on a topic, or anything
    else.  They should not include privately emailed text without the
    permission of the author.  
    
    Content-wise, they must have some relevance to parenting, children,
    pregnancy, etc.  They must either present all sides of any
    controversial issue broached, or clearly indicate that they are
    written from one particular point of view.  They must be
    non-commercial -- product reviews from unaffiliated consumers are
    acceptable, but a FAQ promoting any product will not be accepted.

    There are two administrative requirements for FAQs in this newsgroup:

    1)  They must be listed in the misc.kids FAQ index.  Contact Maureen
    Vahey ([email-masked]).

    2) They must be crossposted to news.answers and misc.answers, which
    are also moderated.  Please contact me at [email-masked]
    for the details of how to obtain approval for these groups.

    FAQs should *not* be crossposted to misc.kids or any of the other
    groups in the misc.kids hierarchy.  Followups, however, *must* be set 
    to misc.kids or another appropriate group.

Q2. What types of announcements are appropriate for this group?

A2. Announcements in this group should be one-time-only non-commercial 
    announcements beneficial to the misc.kids community.  They should be
    relevant to a large proportion of misc.kids readers, and not just
    those in a small community (misc.kids local get-togethers excepted).
    Examples of the types of announcements permitted in this group are: 

    o Juvenile product recalls o Announcements of misc.kids "community"
      projects, such as local picnics, photo albums, T-shirts, cookbooks,
      etc.  (In this case multiple announcements/reminders are permitted.)

    o Announcements of non-commercial WWW pages of interest to parents
      or children

    o RFDs and CFVs for groups of interest to the misc.kids community

Q3. Where can I find misc.kids FAQs that don't appear here, or which have 
    expired at my site?

A3. The misc.kids FAQ index is posted here and to misc.kids, news.answers
    and misc.answers on a weekly basis.  It contains information on how
    to obtain each of the FAQs, as well as information on misc.kids
    etiquette, and potentially relevant mailing lists.  It is also available 
    by anonymous ftp at:

    URL: ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/misc-kids/faq

    Many of the other FAQs are also available in this directory.

Q4. If I can't post it here, where can I post it?

A4. There are several unmoderated newsgroups in the misc.kids hierarchy:

misc.kids               Children, their behavior and activities.
misc.kids.pregnancy     Pre-pregnancy planning, pregnancy, childbirth.
misc.kids.consumers     Products related to kids.
misc.kids.vacation      Discussion on all forms of family-oriented vacationing.
misc.kids.computer      The use of computers by children.
misc.kids.health        Children's health.
misc.kids.breastfeeding	Information, support, and decisions re breastfeeding.

    In addition, there are several other Usenet groups of interest to parents 
    and children:

rec.arts.books.children        (children's literature)
misc.education.home-school.christian	Christian home-schooling.
misc.education.home-school.misc 	Almost anything about home-schooling.
soc.adoption.adoptees	Discussion of adoption by adoptees. (Moderated)
soc.adoption.parenting	Adoptive parenting by adoptive parents.
alt.adoption            Adopting people.
alt.child-support       Raising children in a split family.
alt.kids-talk           A place for the pre-college set on the net.
alt.kids-talk.penpals   (discussions among children with net access)
alt.missing-kids        Locating missing children.
alt.parents-teens       Discussions about raising teenagers.
alt.infertility 	Discussion of infertility causes and treatments.
alt.support.breastfeeding      	(dealing with breastfeeding issues)
alt.support.diabetes.kids	Support for kids w/diabetes and their families.
alt.support.step-parents      	Dealing with step parents.
alt.support.single-parents     	(being a single parent)
alt.support.foster-parents     	(being a foster parent)
alt.parenting.attachment	(attachment parenting)
alt.parenting.spanking	(spanking as a disciplinary measure)
alt.parenting.twins-triplets	(parenting multiples)
alt.parenting.solutions	Like misc.kids.*, only different.
alt.adoption.adoptive.parenting (adoptive parenting)
alt.adoption.issues		(adoption issues)
alt.adoption.agency	Licensed non-profit adoption agency information.