Subject: rec.pets.cats: Medical Information FAQ
From: RPC FAQ Poster <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Apr 2004 11:26:10 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.announce,rec.answers,news.answers

Archive-name: cats-faq/medical-info
URL: http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/medical-info.html
Last-modified: 16 Jul 1999

=======
The latest versions of these FAQ's may be obtained via the Web at
http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/

The multiple posted (ASCII) parts of the FAQ are all archived at rtfm.mit.edu
(18.181.0.24) in the directory /pub/usenet/news.answers/cats-faq.  These
files will also appear in other sites that mirror the RTFM archives.
==========

                              Medical Information
     _________________________________________________________________
   
Author

   Originally written 1991 & updated through 1997 by Cindy Tittle Moore.
   Maintained by the Fanciers website as of July 1999.
     _________________________________________________________________
   
Aging

   Most cats will reach about 11 or 12 years of age. Some make it 18 and
   very few to 20 and beyond. Much of this will depend on whether or not
   a cat is indoors or allowed outdoors. Outdoor cats average about 8
   years and indoor only cats quite often reach 15 or more years of age.
   
   As for "cat years" versus "human years", according to material
   provided by the Gaines Research Center, cats will age 15 years in the
   first year (10 in the first six months!) and 4 years for every year
   after that. Other vets will say 20 years for the first year, 4 years
   for each year thereafter.
     _________________________________________________________________
   
Cat Allergies

   Here are some highlights from the article in CATS Magazine, April
   1992, pertaining to cats with allergies.
     * Cats can suffer from a wide range of allergies.
     * A cat with one allergy often has others.
     * 15% of all cats in the U.S. suffer from one or more allergies.
     * Cats' allergies fall into several categories, each with a parallel
       complaint among human allergy sufferers. Inhalant allergies are
       caused by airborne articles, such as pollen, that irritate the
       nasal passages and lungs. Contact alllergies manifest themselves
       when the cat has prolonged contact with a substance that it just
       cannot tolerate. Cats have allergies to foods as well -- not so
       much to the chemical preservatives but to the grains, meats and
       dairy products used. Some cats react badly to certain drugs, such
       as antibiotics or anesthesia.
     * Flea allergy is the most common of all allergies. As cats age,
       their sensitivity to flea bites increases. Prednisone (oral or
       injection) is commonly used for a bad reaction.
     * Between 5 & 10 percent of allergy cases are caused by food. Like
       contact allergies, food allergies will show up as dermatitis and
       severe itching but in some cases will also cause vomiting and
       diarrhea. Also, the cat may have excessively oily skin, ear
       inflammation, or hair loss (which can also be a sign of hormone
       imbalance).
     * A food allergy doesn't show up overnight. It can take from a week
       to 10 years of exposure to show itself; more than 80 percent of
       cats with food allergies have been eating the allergen-containing
       food for more than two years.
       
   Studies are being done to determine possible connections between food
   allergies and FUS, with some success in eliminating foods and cutting
   down on FUS symptoms. Results are still experimental.
   
   Food allergies are treated with a bland, hypoallergenic diet -- rice
   with boiled chicken or lamb, and distilled water is commonly used. Two
   weeks is the longest it usually takes for the bland diet to work.
   
   Causes, symptoms, and treatments of some types of allergies:
     * Plants, especially oily-leafed ones, such as rubber plants, that
       might be brushed against. Other contact allergens include: carpet
       fresheners, wool, house dust, newsprint, cleansers and topical
       medications. Even the carpet itself.
       Signs of contact allergens: dermatitis, pigmentary changes or skin
       eruptions. Most noticable on the chin, ears, inner thighs,
       abdomen, underside of the tail, armpits and around the anus.
       Skin patch tests are used to determine cause of contact allergies.
     * Medications that commonly cause skin eruptions: penicillin,
       tetracycline, neomycin and panleukopenia vaccine.
       Each drug causes different symptoms, but the symptoms differ from
       cat to cat. There is no way to predict how a cat will react.
       Antihistamines or steroids may be used to eliminate symptoms
       (after ceasing administration of the drug)
     * Kitty litter - when new brands of litter come out, vets frequently
       see a number of cats that have reactions to it. Other inhalant
       allergies can include: dust from the furnace esp. when it is first
       turned on; cigarette smoke; perfumes; household sprays and air
       freshners; pollen.
       Inhalent allergies can also result in skin loss, scabbing
       pustules, or ulcerated areas on the skin. This in addition to the
       asthmatic symptoms.
       Treatment uses...antihistamines, such as chlortrimetron.. More
       severe cases are treated with systemic steroids, which can have
       drawbacks.
     _________________________________________________________________
   
Epilepsy and Seizures

   See
     * [1]http://www.cs.cmu.edu/People/lowekamp/feline_epilepsy.html
     _________________________________________________________________
   
Feline Chronic Renal Failure

   Feline chronic renal failure is progressive and terminal but may be
   managed for some time if diagnosed early. There is an excellent web
   page on this disease kept at [2]http://www.best.com/~lynxpt/,
   maintained by Carol DiFiori, [email-masked].
     _________________________________________________________________
   
Feline Urinary Syndrome (FUS)

   Feline urinary syndrome or FUS is the name given to a group of
   symptoms that occur in the cat secondary to inflammation, irritation,
   and/or obstruction of the lower urinary tract (urinary bladder,
   urethra, and penile urethra). A cat with FUS can exhibit one, some, or
   even all of the symptoms.
   
   FUS is NOT a specific diagnosis: there are many known and some unknown
   factors that may cause or contribute to FUS. Any cause resulting in
   particulate debris in the urine is capable of causing obstruction in
   the male cat.
   
   Males are much more likely to get this disease than females. There is
   no known means of prevention. Treatment can vary from diet to surgery.
   Cats usually recover if the disease is caught in time; often the cat
   must be watched for any recurrence of FUS.
   
  Symptoms
  
   May appear periodically during the life of the cat.
     * Females: straining to urinate, blood in the urine, frequent trips
       to the litter box with only small amounts voided, loss of
       litterbox habits.
     * Males: In addition to the above symptoms, small particles may
       lodge in the male urethra and cause complete obstruction with the
       inability to pass urine-this is a life and death situation if not
       treated quickly.
       
   Obstruction usually occurs in the male cat and is most often confined
   to the site where the urethra narrows as it enters the bulbourethral
   gland and penis; small particles that can easily pass out of the
   bladder and transverse the urethra congregate at the bottleneck of the
   penile urethra to cause complete blockage. (note that the female
   urethra opens widely into the vagina with no bottleneck).
   
   Symptoms of obstruction are much more intense than those of bladder
   inflammation alone; this is an emergency requiring immediate steps to
   relieve the obstruction. Symptoms include:
     * Frequent non-producing straining-no urine produced, discomfort,
       pain, howling.
     * Gentle feeling of the cats abdomen reveals a tennis ball size
       structure which is the overdistended urinary bladder.
     * Subsequent depression, vomiting and/or diarrhea, dehydration, loss
       of appetite, uremic poisoning, and coma may develop rapidly within
       24 hours.
     * Death results from uremic poisoning; advanced uremic poisoning may
       not be reversible even with relief of the obstruction and
       intensive care. Bladders can be permanently damaged as a result.
       
  Causes of FUS
  
   In general: any condition that causes stricture, malfunction,
   inflammation, or obstruction of the urethra. In addition, any
   condition that causes inflammation, malfunction, or abnormal anatomy
   of the urinary bladder.
   
    Known causes
    
     * Struvite crystals accompanied by red blood cells-generally caused
       by a diet too high in magnesium relative to the pH of the urine.
          + Fish-flavored foods tend to be worse
          + The ability of a given diet to cause problems in an
            individual cat is highly variable: only those cats with a
            history of this kind of FUS may respond well to strictly
            dietary management. Many cats do not have problems with a
            diet that may produce FUS in some individuals.
          + Bladder stones, may occur from struvite crystals, or be
            secondary to bladder infections. There are metabolic
            disorders (not all are understood) that result in a higher
            concentration of a given mineral that can remain in solution;
            hence stones are formed. Diet may greatly modify the
            concentration of a given mineral in solution in the urine.
            Water intake may modify the concentration of all minerals in
            the urine, and bacterial infection increases the risk of
            stone formation.
          + Anatomical abnormalities such as congenital malformations of
            the bladder and/or urethra (early neutering is NOT a factor)
            OR acquired strictures of the urethra and/or scarring of the
            bladder.
          + Trauma.
     * Neurolgenic problems affecting the act of urination (difficult to
       diagnose except at institutions capable of urethral pressure
       profiles)
          + Primary bacterial infection-RARE!
          + Tumors (benign/malignant)
          + Protein matrix plug (generally urethral obstruction of
            males); can be from non-mineral protein debris, viral-based,
            other causes are unknown.
     * Suspected or unknown factors include non-bacterial infections,
       toxins, stress, and seasonal influences.
       
  Management of FUS
  
   Obstruction of the male cat is a medical emergency. The obstruction
   must be relieved immediately.
   
   Failure to produce a good stream of urine after relief of obstruction
   is indicative of urethral stricture and/or stones or matrex plugs.
   Failure of bladder to empty after relief of obstruction suggests
   bladder paralysis (usually temporary unless present prior to
   obstruction). In either event, a urinary catheter must be placed to
   allow continual urination.
   
   Treatment of uremic poisoning requires IV fluid therapy with
   monitoring of blood levels of waste products until uremia is no longer
   present.
   
   Permanent urethral damage with stricture, inability to dislodge a
   urethral obstruction, or inability to prevent recurring obstructions
   are all indications for perineal urethrostomy (amputation of the penis
   and narrow portion of the urethra to create a female-sized opening for
   urination). This procedure is usually effective in preventing
   reobstruction of the male cat, but this procedure should be a last
   resort
   
   If FUS is indicated without obstruction, 75 to 80% of FUS cats without
   obstruction may be sucessfully managed by diet alone if urine reveals
   typical crystals and red blood cells. Unobstructed male cats or
   non-uremic obstructed males who have a good urine stream and bladder
   function after relief of an early obstruction may be managed as above
   initially. Cats who are symptom-free after 7 to 10 days of dietary
   management and who have normal follow-up urines at 21 days, may be
   maintained indefinitely with dietary management only.
   
   DL-Methionine is often prescribed for cats with FUS. Most commonly,
   FUS-specific diets contain this acidifier. Antibiotics may be used.
   Distilled water for FUS-prone cats is often recommended as well.
     _________________________________________________________________
   
Diabetes

   Diabetes occurs when the cat cannot properly regulate its blood sugar
   level. Symptoms may include excessive thirst and urination; it may
   lose weight or develop diabetes because of obesity. Older cats are
   more likely to develop diabetes than younger ones.
   
   Treatment may consist of a carefully regulated diet to keep blood
   sugar levels consistent (especially if the diabetes was triggered by
   obesity). In most cases, daily injections of insulin are needed.
   Regular vet visits are required to determine the proper dosage. In
   between visits, using urine glucose test strips available from the
   pharmacy helps you determine whether the dosage of insulin is
   sufficient.
   
   A bottle of Karo syrup or maple syrup kept handy is essential for
   bringing the cat out of dangerously low blood sugar levels. Diabetic
   cats should be kept indoors to prevent accidental feeding (and thus
   disturbing the regulation of blood sugar levels).
     _________________________________________________________________
   
Diarrhea

   If your cat has persistent diarrhea, take the cat to the vet if
   symptoms have continued for more than 2 days. Bring a stool sample
   with you and have the vet check for parasites and/or fever.
   
   You can try changing (temporarily) the cat's diet to one or more of
   the following (depending on the cat's preferences):
     * boiled rice
     * cottage cheese
     * bread
     * plain yogurt
     * boiled chicken
     * chicken broth
     * baby food (strained meat varieties)
       
   The emphasis on the above being as bland as possible. No spices
   allowed as they tend to aggravate the stomach. This procedure may be
   advisable to reduce the possibility of dehydration from the diarrhea.
   
   The vet may or may not prescribe medication. One-half teaspoon of
   kaopectate (NOT peptobismol, it contains asprin) usually works pretty
   well too. The vet may recommend withholding food for 24-48 hours to
   give the GI tract a rest before starting with some bland food.
   
   Usually diarrhea lasts only a few days. If it lasts longer than that,
   as long as the cat does not have a fever, it usually does not mean
   anything serious, but you must protect the cat from dehydration by
   making it take in plenty of liquids.
   
  Possible causes for diarrhea
  
   From: Colin F. Burrows. 1991. Diarrhea in kittens and young catsi. pp.
   415-418 IN J.R. August. Consultations in Feline Internal Medicine. WB
   Saunders Co., Philadelphia.
   
    Causes of acute (sudden onset) diarrhea
    
     * Infections
          + Viral
               o Panleucopenia (distemper)
               o Feline Leukemia Virus
               o Coronavirus
               o Rotavirus
               o Astrovirus
          + Bacterial
               o Salmonella
               o Campylobacter
               o Escherischia coli (not documented in cats)
          + Parasitic
               o Roundworms
               o Hookworms
               o Coccidia
               o Giardia
               o Toxoplasma
     * Diet esp. dietary change or raid on the garbage
     * Toxic or drug-induced
          + Acetominophen (tylenol)
          + antibiotics
     * Miscellaneous
          + partial intestinal obstruction
       
   Most common causes are viral infections and dietary changes.
   
    Causes of chronic diarrhea
    
     * Viral and Bacterial
          + FIV
          + FeLeuk
          + Salmonella
          + Campylobacter
          + Clostridium
     * Parasites
          + as above, except Toxoplasma
     * Dietary sensitivity
     * Miscellaneous
          + Inflammatory Bowel Disease
          + Drug Sensitivity
          + Inappropriate use of antibiotics
          + Bacterial overgrowth??
          + Partial intestinal obstruction
          + Idiopathic (no known cause)
       
   You should enlist the help of your vet if symptoms persist for more
   than a few days, or if your kitten is weak or listless, or refuses to
   take fluids. Dehydration can rapidly kill a kitten.
     _________________________________________________________________
   
Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV)

   Please see the [3]Feline Leukemia Virus FAQ.
     _________________________________________________________________
   
FIV

   There is no vaccine for this. FIV is passed through open wounds, such
   as cat bites.
   
   This disease impairs the cat's immune system and it will often fall
   prey to some other opportunistic disease. While the virus is related
   to HIV, it is NOT possible to contract AIDS from a cat with FIV.
   
   FIV-positive cats should be kept inside and away from other cats. With
   this and other precautions, they may live a fairly long time. Because
   of their subsceptibility to secondary infections and complications,
   these cats are rather vet-intensive.
   
   They do not often die directly from FIV, but rather one of the
   diseases that they can get when their immune system is impaired. FIV
   appears to involve three stages: acute (swollen lymph glands, fever,
   depression, bacterial infections); latent (apparent wel being, can
   last months to years); and chronic (cat is susceptible to all kinds of
   other viruses, fungii, and bacteria). Survival over two years is rare.
     _________________________________________________________________
   
Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP)

   Please see the [4]Feline Infectious Peritonities FAQ.
     _________________________________________________________________
   
Upper Respiratory Disease

   Upper respiratory disease ("cold" or "flu"-like symptoms) is generally
   caused by viral or bacterial infection. Some common causes are feline
   herpes virus type 1 (FHV-1); feline calicivirus (FCV); and Chlamydia
   psittaci (a bacteria-like organism). In many upper respiratory
   infections, viral infections are complicated with secondary bacterial
   infections. Also, one or more viruses may be involved at the same
   time.
   
   Vaccines for FHV-1, FCV, and Chlamydia are available and are generally
   given as part of the standard kitten shot series. These vaccines
   protect against systemic infection (symptoms like fever, diarrhea,
   pneumonia) but they do not give such good protection against local
   infection of the upper respiratory tract (symptoms like sneezing,
   runny eyes).
   
  Feline herpesvirus
  
   FHV-1 (previously known as feline rhinotracheitis virus) can cause a
   variety of different clinical syndromes. The most common symptom is a
   runny nose and sneezing (rhinitis) which may be combined with
   reddened, squinting, runny eyes (conjunctivitis). FHV can also cause
   corneal ulcers, oral ulcers, fever, and diarrhea. In kittens, FHV
   infection can be severe. FHV is generally transmitted through direct
   contact or sneezing, and may be transmitted from a mother to her
   kittens before they are born.
   
   A vet will usually prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic to clear up
   secondary bacterial infections, but there is no real cure for the
   viral infection, just management of it. As in human herpes virus
   infection, cats may develop a latent infection that causes virus
   shedding or mild recurrent attacks when the cat is stressed. If you
   know your cat has had herpes virus infection, try to keep your cat
   from getting stressed (when that's possible). If he is under stress,
   he can begin to shed the virus again without showing any signs of
   being sick himself, which means he may infect other cats. Note that
   FHV affects only cats. Don't worry, you can't get herpes from your
   cat!
   
  Feline calicivirus
  
   FCV can also cause a variety of clinical syndromes similar to those
   caused by FHV. FCV infection is more often associated with oral
   ulcers, fever, and joint pain, but may also be a contributing factor
   in rhinitis, conjunctivitis, and gum disease. A vet will usually
   prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic to clear up secondary bacterial
   infections, but there is no real cure for the viral infection. As with
   FHV, cats may develop a latent infection and may shed virus even
   though they have no symptoms. Unlike FHV, shedding is not influenced
   by stress.
   
  Chlamydia psittaci
  
   Chlamydia is a bacteria-like organism that inhabits mucous membranes,
   primarily the tissues around the eyes (conjunctiva). Chlamydia can
   cause a variety of clinical syndromes similar to those caused by
   viruses and other organisms. The most common symptom is
   conjunctivitis, which (unlike that caused by FHV) is generally seen in
   one eye at first, then spreading to both eyes. Chlamydia can also
   cause rhinitis, fever, pneumonia, and diarrhea. Chlamydia infection
   responds well to topical tetracycline (given as an eye ointment). It
   is sometimes treated with other topical antibiotics or with systemic
   antibiotics (given in pill form). A similar organism, Mycoplasma, also
   causes conjunctivitis and is treated with antibiotics. Be careful to
   wash your hands after treating a cat with chlamydiosis, as it is
   possible for humans to develop a mild form of the disease through
   contact.
     _________________________________________________________________
   
Thyroid Problems

   Cats are far more prone to hyperthyroidism, in which too much thyroid
   is produced, as opposed to too little (hypothyroidism). Symptoms
   include ?.
   
  Treatment
  
    1. Regular doses of Tapazol.
    2. Surgery to remove most of the thyroid. This is a difficult and
       potentially dangerous operation (especially for an older cat), and
       it is not necessarily effective. That is, it will reduce the
       thyroid activity, but not necessarily stop the runaway thyroid
       growth--it may only reduce or delay the problem and you'll have to
       give Tapazol anyway. At the other extreme, you might also end up
       having to give the animal thyroid supplements...
    3. Radioactive Iodine treatment of thyroid. This is reported to be
       very effective in solving the problem. The troubles are it is very
       expensive, and it means leaving your cat at the facility where it
       is done for up to two weeks (they have to monitor the cat to make
       sure all the radioactivity is gone before letting it go home).
       Leaving a cat at a facility where there are other cats can expose
       it to the health problems of the other cats there.
     _________________________________________________________________
   
Vomiting

   Some cats vomit all the time; other cats do so relatively rarely.
   Vomiting is not a sign of the same sort of distress as it is in
   humans. Because they are carnivores, they need to be able to vomit
   quickly and almost at will without feeling sick.
   
   On the other hand, a cat that suddenly starts to vomit, or vomits more
   than usual or in some way demonstrates a departure from its normal
   habits should be checked by the vet.
   
  Reasons
  
   Most commonly, a cat vomits because it has hairballs. To check for
   this, examine the vomit carefully for small grayish pellets or lumps
   (it doesn't matter what color your cat's hair is). If these are
   present, then hairballs is the problem. Hairballs occur even with
   shorthair cats. All cats benefit from regular brushing to help
   minimize shedding and ingestion of hair. If your cat is vomiting
   because of hairballs, its normal behavior is not affected. That is, it
   will be its usual self immediately before and after vomiting.
   
   To help prevent this kind of vomiting, feed your cat on a regular
   basis some petroleum jelly (aka as Vaseline). If they don't like it,
   you can try Petromalt, a malt-flavored petroleum jelly. Pats of butter
   will also work. To give it to them, if they won't eat it of their free
   will, smear some on top of their paw and they will lick it up as they
   clean it off. Be careful to rub it in thoroughly, otherwise when they
   shake their paw, you'll have gobs of vaseline go flying onto the walls
   or carpet. Give it to them daily for a few days if they've just
   upchucked or are in the midst of dry heaves; go back down to a weekly
   dose once they've gotten rid of existing hairballs and this should
   keep them hairball free. Frequent brushing also helps; every bit of
   hair on the brush is less hair in your cat's stomach.
   
   Another common reason for vomiting is overeating, particularly dry
   food. The dry food absorbs water and swells, and then they have to
   throw it back up. If the vomit looks like a semi-solid tube of
   partially digested cat food, that's probably what it is.
   
   A cat may vomit when it is allergic to its food. You can check this
   out by trying another brand of food with substantially different
   ingredients and no food colorings.
   
   Sometimes cats vomit when they have worms. Consult your vet for a
   worming appointment.
   
   If the vomit is white or clear, that can be one of the symptoms of
   panleukopenia, feline distemper. If such vomiting occurs a coule of
   times over the course of a day or night, a phone call to the vet is in
   order.
   
   If cats eat something that obstructs their digestive system, they may
   try to vomit it back up. If you can see some of it in their mouth, DO
   NOT PULL IT OUT, especially if it is string. You may just cut up their
   intestines in the attempt. Take the cat to the vet immediately.
   
   If the cat displays other changes of behavior along with the vomiting,
   you should consult the vet. Eg. listlessness, refusing food along with
   vomiting may indicate poisoning.
   
   Periodic throwing up can be a sign of an over-active thyroid. This is
   particularly common in older cats. Your vet can do a blood test and
   find out the thyroid level. It can also be indicative of a kidney
   infection: something that your vet can also check out.
   
   In general, as distasteful as it may be, you should examine any vomit
   for indication of why the cat vomited.
   
  Summary
  
   Dietary problems include:
     * sudden change in diet
     * ingestion of foreign material (garbage, plants, etc)
     * eating too rapidly
     * intolerance or allergy to specific foods
       
   Problems with drugs include:
     * specific reactions to certain drugs
     * accidental overdosages
       
   Ingestion of toxins:
     * Lead, ethylene glycol, cleaning agents, herbicides, fertilizers,
       heavy metals all specifically result in vomiting.
       
   Metabolic disorders:
     * diabetes mellitus
     * too little or too much of certain hormones, trace elements, etc.
     * renal disease
     * hepatic disease
     * sepsis
     * acidosis
     * heat stroke
       
   Disorders of the stomach:
     * obstruction (foreign body, disease or trauma)
     * parasites
     * assorted gastric disorders
     * ulcers, polyps
       
   Disorders of the small intestine:
     * parasites
     * enteritis
     * intraluminal obstruction
     * inflammatory bowel disease
     * fungal disease
     * intestinal volvulus
     * paralytic ileus
       
   Disorders of the large intestine:
     * colitis
     * constipation
     * irritable bowel syndrome
       
   Abdominal disorders:
     * pancreatitis
     * gastrinoma of the pancreas
     * peritonitus (any cause including FIP)
     * inflammatory liver disease
     * bile duct obstruction
     * steatitis
     * prostatitis
     * pyelonephritis
     * pyometra (infection of the uterus)
     * urinary obstruction
     * diaphragmatic hernia
     * neoplasia
       
   Nerologic disorders:
     * pain, fear, excitement, stress
     * motion sickness
     * inflammatory lesions
     * trauma
     * epilepsy
     * neoplasia
       
   Misc:
     * hiatal hernia
     * heartworm
       
  Vomit stains
  
   You may now have stains on the carpet that you want to get rid of.
   Spot Shot, and other stain removers, work well at removing stains. If
   you're having trouble with bright red or orange stains, you may want
   to invest in a cat food that doesn't use dyes. That can help
   considerably in reducing the stain factor.
     _________________________________________________________________

    Medical Information FAQ

References

   1. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/People/lowekamp/feline_epilepsy.html
   2. http://www.best.com/~lynxpt/
   3. file://localhost/home/t/tittle/public-web/cat-faqs/leukemia.html
   4. file://localhost/home/t/tittle/public-web/cat-faqs/FIP.html