Subject: Roguelike Games Info and FTP Sites (FAQ)
From: [email-masked] (Aliza R. Panitz)
Date: 25 Apr 1997 12:22:26 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.announce,rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.moria,rec.games.roguelike.nethack,rec.games.roguelike.rogue,rec.games.roguelike.angband,rec.answers,news.answers

Archive-name: games/roguelike/info-ftp
Last-modified: 96-10-12
Posting-Frequency: weakly (every seven to nine days)
URL: http://www.cs.ruu.nl/wais/html/na-faq/games-roguelike.html

Roguelike Adventure Games    
-------------------------

0.)  News flashes
1.)  What are the roguelike games?
2.)  List of major roguelike games
3.)  List of minor roguelike games
4.)  List of older roguelike games
5.)  List of "multi-user roguelike games"
6.)  What are *not* roguelike games?
7.)  How to get files by FTP 
8.)  About this FAQ...

-----------------------------------------------------

Subject: 0.)  News flashes

10/01/96:  Rogue's Quest:  Version 1.0j

------------------------------------------------

Subject: 1.)  What are the roguelike games?

A long time ago, on a computer system far, far, away, there was rogue.
Players wandered a dungeon, hacking and slashing at monsters, gaining
treasures, becoming more powerful, and living their D&D nightmares.

Rogue was a good game; people still play it.  It was even distributed
with many copies of Unix.  But rogue is a relatively simple and limited
game compared to most of the descendants it has spawned...

Although the common features of rogue and its many descendants are
'obvious' to many people, they are difficult to describe in simple
terms.  Generally, the games mentioned below are single-user, fantasy 
role-playing computer games, generally set in a dungeon, run with
a simple character-graphic interface.  In all of the games, the player 
controls a single character, who roams around getting more powerful, 
in order to fulfill a difficult quest.  Sword-and-sorcery rule the 
day.  Logistically, they're all free games; executables, and generally
sources, are available by FTP.

The similarities end there, though.  More information can be found 
in the 6 UseNet newsgroups dedicated to rogue and its descendants - 
rec.games.roguelike.nethack, rec.games.roguelike.moria, 
rec.games.roguelike.rogue, rec.games.roguelike.angband, 
rec.games.roguelike.misc, and rec.games.roguelike.announce 
(alt.games.omega belongs in this list, but is a poorly propagated 
group, which many readers cannot access.)

Below are listed basic information about all roguelike games known to
me, in alphabetical order.  I've listed the main ftp site(s) for each 
game; however, it's polite to use mirror sites, if closer to you, 
especially if you're not in the same continent.

------------------------------------------------

Subject: 2.)  List of major roguelike games

A long time ago, on a computer system far, far, away, there was rogue.
Players wandered a dungeon, hacking and slashing at monsters, gaining
treasures, becoming more powerful, and living their D&D nightmares.

Rogue was a good game; people still play it.  It was even distributed
with many copies of Unix.  But rogue is a relatively simple and limited
game compared to most of the descendants it has spawned...

Although the common features of rogue and its many descendants are
'obvious' to many people, they are difficult to describe in simple
terms.  Generally, the games mentioned below are single-user, fantasy 
role-playing computer games, nearly always set in a dungeon, run with a 
simple character-graphic interface.  In all of the games, the player 
controls a single character, who roams around getting more powerful, 
in order to fulfill a difficult quest.  Sword-and-sorcery rule the day.  
Logistically, they're almost all free games; executables, and usually
sources, are available by FTP.

The similarities end there, though.  More information can be found 
in the 6 UseNet newsgroups dedicated to rogue and its descendants - 
rec.games.roguelike.nethack, rec.games.roguelike.moria, 
rec.games.roguelike.rogue, rec.games.roguelike.angband, 
rec.games.roguelike.misc, and rec.games.roguelike.announce 
(alt.games.omega belongs in this list, but is a poorly propagated 
group, which many readers cannot access.)

Below are listed basic information about all roguelike games known to me.  
I've listed the main ftp site(s) for each game; however, it's polite to 
use mirror sites, if closer to you, especially if you're not in the same 
continent.  I've grouped the listings into 'major' games (those with
their own newsgroups), 'minor' games (other current games), and 
'older' games (games that haven't been updated in several years.).

Most of my information comes from trolling the various newsgroups; if your 
favorite game isn't listed, send mail to [email-masked]

If you have WWW access, (Mosaic, Lynx, NetScape, etc.) a Home Page for
many of the more popular Roguelike games is at:
http://www.win.tue.nl/games/roguelike/

GAME:      Angband 
Release:   2.7.9v6 (06 Aug 96)
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.angband
FTP Site:  ftp://ftp.cis.ksu.edu/pub/Games/Angband/Angband-2.7.x
           ftp://ftp.cis.ksu.edu/pub/Games/Angband/Angband-2.4.x
           ftp://export.andrew.cmu.edu/angband (developers' site)
FAQ Avail: [email-masked] (Jason Holtzapple)  (01/96)
Spoilers:  ftp://export.andrew.cmu.edu/angband/Help
           ftp://dunadan.imvi.com/pub/angband/angfaq2.txt
WWW:       http://www.voicenet.com/~benh/Angband/
           http://www.paranoia.com/~jth/angband/ (unofficial)
Maint.:    Ben Harrison <[email-masked]>  (03/95)
Platforms: Unix, Linux, DOS, OS2, MS-Windows, Mac, Amiga, etc.
Features:  infinite random dungeon.  unique monsters and artifacts. 
Misc:      Still somewhat close to Moria in feel. 
Variants:  BAngband (obsolete), FAngband, SAngband (0.8), QAngband (1.4.1)
           Some unofficial variants live in ftp.cis.ksu.edu:/pub/upload
           Some people prefer PC Angband 1.4, available at KSU.

GAME:      Moria 
Release:   5.5.2 (07/26/94)
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.moria (was rec.games.moria)
FTP Site:  ftp://ftp.cis.ksu.edu/pub/Games/Moria/
           or mail 'help' to [email-masked] 
FAQ Avail: [email-masked] (David Grabiner)  Posted biweekly.
           http://remarque.berkeley.edu/~grabiner/moriafaq.html
Spoilers:  At the ftp site. 
WWW:       http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/moria/moria.html
Platforms: Unix, PC, Mac, VMS, Amiga, Atari, ... 
Features:  Infinite dungeon.   Restocking stores.  6 classes/8 races.
Misc:      What is generally discussed is more properly called Umoria 
Variants:  PMoria, IMoria (VMS only; see Moria FAQ), Morgul, Druid Moria, 
           Purple X (Mac), CWMMoria (Amiga), DoomsDay 2000 (VMS/PC?); see 
           also Angband, BOSS.

GAME:      NetHack
Release:   3.2.1 (6/12/96)
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (was rec.games.hack)
FTP Site:  ftp://ftp.uu.net:/pub/games/nethack
FAQ Avail: posted biweekly
Spoilers:  ftp.uu.net:/usenet/comp.sources.games/volume13/nh-spoilers3/*
           ftp.win.tue.nl:/pub/games/nethack/README
                 (WCST spoilers, monster listings, game variants, etc)
WWW:       http://www.win.tue.nl/games/roguelike/nethack/
                 (Japanese mirror at: ftp.ae.keio.ac.jp:/pub/doc/nethack)
           http://www.engin.umich.edu/~mneylon/nethack/
Platforms: Unixes, Mac, PC, NT, OS/2, Amiga, VMS, Atari, X
Features:  Everything including the kitchen sink
Misc:      ChrHack and NhSound PC add-ons available (for 3.1.3)
Variants:  Hack Lite (see below), NetHack--, NetHack+, NHTNG, SLASH
           (all still based on 3.1.3 for the moment)

------------------------------------------------

Subject: 3.)  List of minor roguelike games

Listed below are what I know of the 'minor' roguelike games.  In most
cases, my information is pretty skimpy, and way out-of-date.

GAME:      ADOM (Ancient Dungeons of Mystery)
Release:   0.9.4 Gamma 4 (07 Jan 1997)
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.misc; rec.games.roguelike.adom proposed
FTP Site:  ftp://crescent.dartmouth.edu/adom
           ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/games/adom/
           ftp://members.aol.com/brannalbin/adom
FAQ Avail: ? 
Spoilers:  ?
WWW:       http://www.win.tue.nl/games/roguelike/adom/
Maint.:    [email-masked] (Thomas Biskup)
Platforms: Intel hardware: MS-DOS, MS-Windows, Windows 95 and Linux
           Amiga port "Real Soon Now"
Features:  10 races; 12 classes; 22 skills; quests; lots of items / monsters
Misc:      Source not available

GAME:      Alphaman
Release:   1.1 (6/95)
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.misc
FTP Site:  ftp://win.tue.nl:/pub/games/alphaman/
           ftp://ftp.dungeon.com://pub/msdos/games/Misc/
           ftp://ftp.indirect.com:/pub/software/games/
FAQ Avail: [email-masked] (Jeffrey Olson)
Spoilers:  ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/games/alphaman/alphaman.spl
WWW:       http://www.win.tue.nl/games/roguelike/alphaman/index.html
Maint.:    [email-masked] (Jeffrey Olson)
Platforms: MS-DOS only (640K, color required)
Features:  Mutations
Misc:      Shareware

GAME:      Hack
Release:   ? (1.0.2, 1.0.3, 5.2 are all floating around) 
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.nethack or rec.games.roguelike.misc 
FTP Site:  check comp.sources.games (or net.sources) archive sites 
           ftp.cica.indiana.edu:/pub/pc/win3/games/w_ohack.zip (MS-Windows)
                 (requires /pub/pc/win3/utils/w_one49.zip )
           ftp.win.tue.nl:/pub/games/nethack/Msdos/hack101.zip (MsDos)
FAQ Avail: No
Spoilers:  ? 
Platforms: Unix, PCs, Atari ST, probably others
Features:  And your little dog too! 
Misc:      Distributed with some Unixes

GAME:      Hack Lite
Release:   2.8.1 (07/94)
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.nethack or rec.games.roguelike.misc or
           comp.sys.amiga.games
FTP Site:  wuarchive.wustl.edu (or any AmiNET site)
                /pub/aminet/game/role/HackLite2_1.lha
           ftp.win.tue.nl:/pub/games/nethack/Msdos  or /Amiga
           (binaries only, source not available)
FAQ Avail: No
Spoilers:  No
Platforms: Amiga, MS-DOS 
Features:  graphics; contact [email-masked] (Alan Beale)
Misc:      "NetHack made simple"

GAME:      Omega
Release:   0.80 patch level 2 (94/07/??), "0.81" (Mac)
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.misc, alt.games.omega 
FTP Site:  ftp.std.com:/src/games/omega3.tar.Z (0.75) 
           ftp.cc.monash.edu.au:/monu1/pub/omega (Amiga, DOS, source, 0.80.2)
           ftp://sumex-aim.stanford.edu/info-mac/game/omega-075.hqx
           ftp://ftp.pht.com/pub/mac/info-mac/game/adv/ (0.80.2 Mac)
FAQ Avail: Posted by [email-masked] (Cory L. Kerens)
Spoilers:  Occasionally posted.  (by whom???)
WWW:       http://www.alcyone.com/max/projects/omega/
           http://www.win.tue.nl/games/roguelike/omega/
           http://www.st.rim.or.jp/~fuk/games/omega/
Maint.:    Erik Max Francis ([email-masked]) (02/95)
           [email-masked] (Sheldon Simms) (Mac version, 01/97)
Platforms: Unix, PC, Amiga, Atari ST, MS-Windows, OS/2, Mac
Features:  Multi-dungeons; Fractional speeds; Quests; Personality
Misc:      Tom O Breton ([email-masked]) was working on a rewrite in 1994.

GAME:      PMoria 
Release:   ?
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.moria (was rec.games.moria)
FTP Site:  ?
FAQ Avail: No
Spoilers:  No
Platforms: ?
Features:  More classes/races/spells/monsters.  Quiver slot.
Misc:      Descended from UMoria 5.5
           Maintained by [email-masked] (John L. Spetz) 

GAME:      Ragnarok
Release:   2.4
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.misc
FTP Site:  ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl:/pub/games/ragnarok/rag24.exe (executable only)
           ftp://poppy.engr.ucdavis.edu/rag22.exe (old executable only)
FAQ Avail: last posted by Boudewijn Wayers <[email-masked]>
Spoilers:  ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl:/pub/games/ragnarok/spoilers.txt
WWW:       http://thor.chemie.uni-dortmund.de/misc/ragnarok.htm
           http://www.win.tue.nl/games/roguelike/ragnarok/index.html
           http://pixel.cs.vt.edu/auburn/jangert/rag.html
Maint.:    Thomas Boyd <[email-masked]>
Platforms: MS-DOS + VGA; may be ported if there is interest/resources
Features:  NetHackish game with graphics; Norse mythos; quests
Misc:      Shareware release (12/94) of commercial game.  No source available.

GAME:      Rogue's Quest
Release:   1.0j (01 Oct 96)
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.misc
FTP Site:  ftp://users.aol.com/roguequest/ (try this site first)
           ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/pw/pwung/
FAQ Avail: No
Spoilers:  No
WWW:       http://users.aol.com/roguequest/index.html (with frames)
           http://www.win.tue.nl/games/roguelike/rogue_quest/ (?)
Maint.:    Pearson Wung <[email-masked]>
Platforms: MS-Windows 3.1 or later (i.e. Win95 or WinNT)
Features:  Graphical interface; editable dungeons
Misc:      This game is still under construction but a new "preview"
           version is available roughly every two or three months.

GAME:      The Land
Release:   ? 
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.misc
FTP Site:  ?
FAQ Avail: ? 
Spoilers:  ?
Platforms: IBM PC with CGA graphics
Features:  ?
Misc:      Set in the world of Thomas Covenant; probably copyrighted

GAME:      The UnReal World (URW)
Release:   2.09 (01/23/96)
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.misc
FTP Site:  ftp://nic.funet.fi:/pub/msdos/games/rpg/urw209.arj
           win.tue.nl:/pub/games/urw/urw209.arj 
FAQ Avail: ? 
Spoilers:  ?
WWW:       http://www.win.tue.nl/games/roguelike/urw/
Maint.:    Sami Maaranen <[email-masked]>
Platforms: MS-DOS (286 min)
Features:  Wilderness survival; no magic; realistic details
Misc:      Shareware

------------------------------------------------

Subject: 4.)  List of older roguelike games

Listed below are the older roguelike games.  These games have not been
updated in several years.  This is either because people lost interest
in them, or because they're perfect and don't need updates  :-)

GAME:      BOSS 
Release:   2.0 (07/92)
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.moria (was rec.games.moria)
FTP Site:  ftp://ftp.cis.ksu.edu:/pub/Games/Moria/BOSS/
FAQ Avail: At the ftp site
Spoilers:  At the ftp site
Platforms: VMS, Mac (beta)
Features:  Cyberpunk Moria
Misc:      "A game you can win in a weekend"
           Mac beta version supported by [email-masked] 

GAME:      Keep
Release:   Not publically available. 
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.misc
FTP Site:  None. 
FAQ Avail: ? 
Spoilers:  ?
Platforms: ?
Features:  Escape from a keep, starting in the garden
Misc:      Last sighted at UCSC in 1991
	   Cannot be released for legal reasons. 

GAME:      Larn 
Release:   12.2 was posted to comp.sources.games 
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.misc
FTP Site:  ftp.uu.net:/usenet/comp.sources.games/volume11/larn (192.48.96.9)
           ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/pub/msdos/games/adventures/larn123e.zoo
           ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/msdos/games/adventures/larn123e.zoo
           atari.archive.umich.edu:/?
	   ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/games/larn/ularn.tar.gz
FAQ Avail: ? 
Spoilers:  ?
Web:       http://www.win.tue.nl/games/roguelike/larn/index.html
Platforms: PCs, Unix, Atari ST, Amiga, more? 
Features:  Time-limited quest; no character classes; variable difficulty
Misc:      Good beginner game.  Executables I've seen have exploitable bugs. 
           Ularn is a descendant of Larn, adding character classes. 

GAME:      Lore
Release:   ? 
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.misc
FTP Site:  ?
FAQ Avail: ? 
Spoilers:  ?
WWW:       ?
Maint.:    ?
Platforms: IBM mainframe 
Features:  Dungeon + wilderness section with villages
Misc:      Last sighted at the University of Iowa in 82-84.  Can't save
           unless your character is in a village.

GAME:      Rogomatic
Release:   ? 
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.rogue
FTP Site:  ftp.uu.net:/pub/games/rogomatic.tar.Z
           ftp://nl.cs.cmu.edu/usr/mlm/ftp/rgm14.tar.Z
FAQ Avail: ? 
WWW:       See the Rogue page for details:
           http://www.win.tue.nl/games/roguelike/rogue/
	   Or the original paper:
	   http://fuzine.mt.cs.cmu.edu/mlm/rgm84.html
Spoilers:  This *is* a spoiler!
Platforms: Unix; "should run on a NeXT, a Sun, and Vaxes"
Features:  Plays rogue for you!  Well!
Misc:      *Very* version-dependant, apparently

GAME:      Rogue
Release:   5.3 ? 
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.rogue (was rec.games.rogue)
FTP Site:  Only "officially" released as VAX binaries with BSD Unix
           ftp.uu.net:usenet/comp.sources.games/volume1/rogue (Stoehr clone)
           macbeth.cogsci.ed.ac.uk:/pub/rogue.zip      } 1984 PC port (Lane)
           ftp.digex.net:/pub/access/buglady/rogue.zip } v 1.1 Mr.McTesq
WWW:       http://www.win.tue.nl/games/roguelike
FAQ Avail: ? 
Spoilers:  ?
Platforms: Unix, PC, Atari ST, Amiga (by Epyx); Mac version 'in progress'
Features:  ?
Misc:      This is where it all started; urogue and srogue and bugs, oh my!

------------------------------------------------

Subject: 5.)  List of "multi-user roguelike games"

Listed below are "multi-user roguelike games".  Yeah, yeah, I know, I
said at the top that all roguelike games were single-player.  I lied.

GAME:      Myth
Release:   1.07 (05/95)
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.misc
FTP Site:  ftp.iesd.auc.dk:/pub/games/myth/myth-1.07.tar.gz (source)
           ftp.iesd.auc.dk:/pub/games/myth/binary/sparc.tar.Z (SPARC executable)
FAQ Avail: No
Spoilers:  No
WWW:       No
Platforms: SPARC binary, source should be portable (tested on Linux)
Features:  "proof of concept for a multiplayer roguelike game"
Misc:      Latest revisions by Per Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>

GAME:      Phantasia
Release:   3.1.3 (June 1986)  
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.misc
FTP Site:  Archie sez: 
           emx.cc.utexas.edu:/pub/mnt/source/games/phantasia.tar.Z
           ftp.cfi.waseda.ac.jp:/pub3/bsd-sources/NET2/var/games/phantasia/*
           qiclab.scn.rain.com:/pub/games/phantasia.tar.Z
           ugle.unit.no:/pub/unix/bsd-sources/games/phantasia/*
           10 bytes of fame for locating a site with working SOURCE code...
FAQ Avail: ? 
Spoilers:  ?
Platforms: Berkeley Unix
Features:  Multiuser game.
Misc:      ?

GAME:      Crossfire
Release:   crossfire-0.93 (Jan 1997)
Newsgroup: rec.games.roguelike.misc, also an active mailing list (send
           mail to [email-masked] with the subject "subscribe")
FTP Site:  Primary:
           ftp://ftp.i.net/pub/crossfire2/ (192.243.32.18)
           ftp://ftp.ifi.uio.no/pub/crossfire/ (129.240.82.2)
           Secondary:
           ftp://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/pub/crossfire/ (130.194.9.1)
           ftp://ftp.cs.city.ac.uk/pub/games/crossfire/
           ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/unix/games/crossfire/ (130.238.127.3)
           ftp://ftp.cs.titech.ac.jp/pub/games/crossfire/
FAQ Avail: In INSTALL directory of source distribution.
Spoilers:  With release (in doc sub directory) and 'around the Web'
WWW:       http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk:/Crossfire/
           http://www.ifi.uio.no:/~frankj/crossfire/
           http://web.cs.city.ac.uk:3000/games/crossfire/crossfire.html
Maint.:    "Mark Wedel" <[email-masked]>
Platforms: X-windows under Unix ; need ANSI compiler
Features:  Multiplayer graphical arcade/adventure game with map editor
Misc:      Servers:   
           sonja.math.virginia.edu 13326
           fermat.dartmouth.edu 13326
           corpse.ecst.csuchico.edu 13326
           beer.csua.berkeley.edu 13326

------------------------------------------------

Subject: 6.)  What are *not* roguelike games?

The following games have been reported as being roguelike in previous
versions of this list, but further information has shown that they are not:

Wanderer:  a box-pushing puzzle like sokoban.  (In c.s.g archives...)

Conquer, xconq:  Multiplayer strategic wargame (cs.bu.edu, jyu.fi)

There are a lot of things that aren't quite in the category of 
roguelike games, but that keep creeping into the roguelike
newsgroups...
     
For information about commercial games like Ultima, Wizardry, etc.: 
     comp.sys.*.games[.*]

For information about playing D&D or other fantasy roleplaying games 
with other human beings, face-to-face or by e-mail:
     rec.games.frp.*

For information about Multi-User-Dungeon games on the Internet:
     rec.games.mud.*

For information about other games to play when you feel like bashing
innocent bits and bytes: 
     rec.games.video.*

Finally, there are text-mode puzzle games, like Adventure, Zork, and the 
whole family of Infocom text adventure games.  If you want to *play*:
     rec.games.int-fiction
If you'd rather *write* them:
     rec.arts.int-fiction

If what you're looking for isn't listed above, don't post to the
roguelike groups - you'll just annoy the Ancient Dragons - try:
     rec.games.misc

------------------------------------------------

Subject: 7.)  How to get files by FTP

Pretty much everything mentioned here is available by anonymous FTP.
FAQ lists cross-posted to news.answers and rec.answers can be gotten
from rtfm.mit.edu (18.181.0.24), under /pub/usenet/news.answers or
under /pub/usenet/more.specific.group.name 

"anonymous FTP" is just a way for files to be stored where anyone on
the Internet can retrieve them over the Net.    For example, to retrieve 
the latest version of the FTP FAQ, do the following:

  > ftp rtfm.mit.edu      /* connect to the site; a message follows */
  > anonymous             /* type this when it asks for your name */
  > <your email address>  /* type your address as the password */
  > cd /pub/usenet        /* go to the directory you want to be in */
  > cd news.announce.newusers
                          /* one level down (no slash).  */
  > dir                   /* look at what's there */
  > get Anonymous_FTP:_Frequently_Asked_Questions_(FAQ)_List
                          /* get the file; case-sensitive */
  > quit                  /* stop this mysterious thing */

If your FTP program complains that it doesn't know where the site you
want to use is, type the numerical address instead of the sitename:

  > ftp 18.181.0.24       /* connect with numerical address */ 

If you don't have ftp access, send e-mail to [email-masked]
with the single word "help" in the body of the message.

Getting binary files (executables, or any compressed files) is only
slightly more difficult.   You need to set binary mode inside FTP before
you transfer the file. 

  > binary            /* set binary transfer mode  */ 
  > ascii             /* set back to text transfer mode */ 

FAQs and other lists are generally ascii files; everything else is
generally binary files.  When in doubt, use binary transfers, since
they will work for all files.

Some common extensions on binary files in archive sites are:

  .Z           Compressed; extract with uncompress
  .tar.Z       Compressed 'tape archive'; uncompress then untar or tar -xvf 
  .gz or .z    Gnu gzip; use gunzip (prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu/gzip.*.tar) 
  .tgz         Gnu gzip of a tar archive; read the gzip man page.
  .sit         (Mac) StufIt archive
  .zip         (PC) Extract with Zip or Unzip
  .zoo         (PC) Yet another archive/compress program
  .lzh         (Unix and PC) Yet another...
  .arj         (PC) and another... 
  .lha         (Amiga) Common archive format.
  .exe         (PC) Self-extracting archives - just execute them. 
               [Note:  sometimes non-archived executables are stored.]
  .uue or .UUE Transfer as text file; use uudecode to convert to binary
  .hqx         (Mac) BinHex format; transfer in text mode 

Generic help can be found in the FAQs of comp.binaries.<your_system_type> for 
how to transfer, extract, and virus-check binary files.  (At rtfm.mit.edu) 

If you can't FTP from your site, use one of the following ftp-by-mail servers:

	[email-masked]          
	[email-masked]
	[email-masked]           
	[email-masked]

For complete instructions, send a message reading "help" to the server.

Some FTP sites, such as ftp.cis.ksu.edu, have dedicated mailservers that
will send you files only from that site; it causes less network load to
use local FTP servers where they exist.

If you don't know exactly what you're looking for, or exactly where it
is, there are programs and servers that can help you.  For more info,
send e-mail to [email-masked] with the body of the
message reading:
send usenet/news.answers/finding-sources

------------------------------------------------

Subject: 8.)  About this FAQ...

That's all, folks.

This FAQ is updated frequently; the most recent version can always
be found in rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/news.answers/games/roguelike

Additions and corrections can be sent to [email-masked]
Many thanks to the people who send me info!

This entire FAQ is copyrighted by the author, Aliza R. Panitz.
Permission is granted to archive or redistribute it, provided that
(1) there is no charge, and (2) the file remains intact, including
this copyright notice.  Write me for permission to use excerpts.