Subject: rec.music.progressive Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Part 7/8
From: Phil Kime <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:02:17 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.music.progressive,alt.rock-n-roll.metal.progressive,rec.answers,alt.answers,news.answers

The most recent ascii versions of these FAQs
are available at

             ftp://ftp.kime.org.uk/RMP
    
The Web versions are available at:
    
          http://www.kime.org.uk/PK/rmp_faqs.html
    
All mail addresses in these FAQs should be mailto: URLs
so you can mail anyone mentioned in the FAQs easily. (That is, as
long as your browser supports mailto: URLs). Newsgroup
names should be news: URLs so you can read any newsgroup
mentioned here by clicking them (again, providing your browser
supports them). Also, some names are links to the Web pages of
individuals.
    
This file may be freely distributed as long as it is not modified
in any way and contains this notice.
        
*Please Note:* All ftp, and web addresses are given in
               standard URL format. If you are not familiar with
               this then read this short explanation. Simple URL
               format looks like this:
    
               ftp://*some.network.address*/some/path/
    
A URL as given above can be entered as it is into any Web
browser. If you intend to use standard ftp, the starred part
should be used as the address of the machine to which you should
connect and the immediately following section as the directory to
look in when you are connected. The part preceding the starred
section can be ignored in this case.

              ------------------------------------------
              How To Find Rare And/Or Obscure Recordings
              ------------------------------------------

While much progressive music is rare and/or obscure, most newcomers
are used to finding Genesis and Yes CDs in their local shops. By
far the majority of discussed artists however are not generally
stocked by normal outlets. FAQ 6 lists some shops worldwide that
do stock the more esoteric material but generally you have to be
rather lucky to have one of these oulets near to you. If you are
serious about exploring progressive music, you simply must use mail
order. This is by far the best way of obtaining the music. Many of
the sources in FAQ 2 are reputable outlets and have been used for
many years by people who read r.m.p. Simply post and ask about an
outlet you are not sure about. Some are used regularly and have good
reputations. You will notice them being mentioned quite often. Here
is a list of some of the most well-known and trusted outlets that
people on r.m.p have had a good releationship with in the past. You
can find more information on them in FAQ 2 and FAQ 6. There are,
of course, many more reputable outlets. This is just a small sample
of outlets people have found particularly satisfactory.

Syn-phonic (Greg Walker)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Symphonic and Yes/Genesis influenced prog, neo-prog, emphasis on
European and US prog/fusion. Some RIO and experimental.

Laser's Edge (Ken Golden)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Most prog and fusion, including some Italian and a lot of rarer
psych. Has net access ([email-masked]).

<URL:http://www.jersey.net/~lasercd/>

Doug Larsen
----------------------------------------------------------------------

All types of prog, but mostly symphonic, 70's British prog and
Italian. Some experimental.

Wayside
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Experimental, RIO, world, ambient, electronic and unclassifiable
musics (and "normal" progressive music as well). If no one else
has heard of it or it is very rare or strange, Wayside probably
carries it or at least knows about it.

ZNR (Steve Roberts)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Rare and US material, much obscure vinyl.

Forced Exposure
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Experimental, electronic etc. <URL:http://www.forcedexposure.com/>

Ultima Thule
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Situated in the UK, has excellent catalogue and caters for most
tastes. Many special offers, the owners are very knowledgeable and
produce Audion magazine (see FAQ 3). They undertake international
orders and accept all major credit cards by phone.

GFT
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Based in the UK. They accept credit card orders by phone. Some of the
best prices in the UK and the exclusive outlet for Cyclops releases.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

             --------------------------------------------
             How To Find Information On Progressive Music
             --------------------------------------------

Often you'd like to know more about a band or to read reviews before
you buy CDs. Here's a few places to look for reviews, info on bands,
and general info on prog and related musics:

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            The Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a huge project, originating from the Gibraltar mailing
list (see below) whereby reviews and discographies of thousands of
progressive, experimental and new music bands have been synthesised
and edited into a large book. It is available on the Web and is
also published periodically in hard copy form. The hard copy is
currently sold out.

The Web version can be found at its new home:

<URL:http://www.gepr.net/>

                               ~~~~~~~~~
                               Gibraltar
                               ~~~~~~~~~

An Internet mailing list focusing on more obscure music. Mail
to [email-masked] to subscribe. Moderated by Mike
Taylor. Famous as it has existed for quite a few years. See FAQ
5. It now has Web pages at

<URL:http://www.museum.tulane.edu/pub/gibraltar/gibraltar.html>

                               ~~~~~~~~~
                               Magazines
                               ~~~~~~~~~

There are many, many prog related magazines and fanzines. FAQ 3 lists
any of them with brief descriptions. English language magazines
that most people recommend are Audion (published in the UK) and
I/E (published in the USA). All cover many forms of progressive,
electronic, ethnic, experimental, and fusion music. For a newsletter
that focuses mainly on progressive rock, there is Exposé. It is
published by John Szpara ([email-masked]) and edited by Peter
Thelen ([email-masked]). You can send them mail for more information
or mail [email-masked]. For subscription information see
FAQ 3. An easy way to get copies of current and back issues of these
magazines (and others) is to get them from mail order outlets. Some
listed above (in particular, Ranjit) carry magazines.

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    The Main Progressive Music Site
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adam Levin keeps the main progressive music site that anyone with
net access can get information from. You can access via anonymous ftp
(if you do not know what anonymous ftp is, ask someone at your site)

<URL:ftp://www.progrock.net/pub/music/prog/>

or via the Web

<URL:http://www.progrock.net/>

It contains an ascii version of the *GEPR*, links to all FAQ files,
reviews, interviews, contact listings, trading lists, discographies
and much more information.

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    rec.music.progressive Newsgroup
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obviously. Most new resources are announced here first.

                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Social Activity
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Find people with similar interests as yours and discuss music with
them. Trade tapes with people. Attend prog listening events and
concerts. Use your ears intelligently. Read FAQ 8 for a guide to
recommended current artists.

Please take the time to read the rest of the FAQ as you may well
find it informative and it will save you posting questions that are
answered therein. The entire FAQ is available via anonymous ftp to

<URL:ftp://ftp.kime.org.uk/RMP>

and on the Web at

<URL:http://www.kime.org.uk/PK/rmp_faqs.html>
--------------------
This FAQ is maintained by Phil Kime([email-masked]). Comments,
questions, and criticisms are positively always welcome.  This text
was taken in part from the previous versions of this FAQ, which
were maintained by Scott McMahan, and Mike Borella. The FAQs were
brought into being originally through the sterling efforts of Malcolm
Humes. Many thanks go to all of these gentlemen for their excellent
work.--------------------

::Store::
  Leopold's
::Address::
  2518 Durant Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94704
::Phone::
  (510) 848-2015
::Comments::
  Half a block east on Durant is Leopold's, the final stop for prog
  in Berkeley.  Actually, there's very little prog in the store,
  just a few discs by Pinhas, Djam Karet, and some RIO in the import
  section. However, Leopold's has an exhaustive jazz/fusion section,
  including virtually everything by Ponty, Mahavishnu as well as
  many others. Prices are about average.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Esoteric
::Address::
  3413 El Camino Avenue, Sacramento
::Phone::
  (510) 488-8966
::Hours::
  (generally closes around 6pm)
::Comments::
  Near the corner of El Camino and Watt, Esoteric sports a small
  prog section of both LPs and CDs.  Some of the CDs are rare and
  otherwise hard to find, and prices tend to be reasonable. The LP
  section rarely contains anything rare. Two employees, Brian and
  Jim, are local progressive experts and will be able to recommend
  many artists for you. The store has a CD player hooked up for
  listening, so you can check them out before buying. Esoteric will
  special order, I believe.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Off The Record
::Address::
  Hillcrest CA (suburbs of San Diego)
::Comments::
  
Directions -- Hillcrest - 163 South to Washington.  Right on
University (first light). You want to hang a left at the first light
but it's a one way street going the other way. They're half a block
on your left, park where you can. The directions from 15 north are
much different, you're better off going too far, turning around,
taking 15 South, then following my directions :-)

Mainly used CD stores with some new CDs. They don't seem to bother
with the top 40 crap, but if you want Ozrics these are the places
to go. I've found the most stuff I wanted in the Hillcrest Off
the Record. I've bought Hawkwind, Ozrics, and Iconoclasta at
the Hillcrest OtR. None of these stores carry prog so much as
`alternative' music, alternative meaning "you'll never hear this
on the radio!". Both stores special order. New CDs are list price,
used are $8.99. I seldom walk out of the Hillcrest OtR empty-hand.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Lou's
::Address::
  Encinitas CA (suburb of San Diego)
::Comments::
  
Mainly used CD store with some new CDs.  Bigger than both Off the
Record stores, mentioned above.  New CDs are list price, used are
$8.99. I've been to Lou's twice, their discs weren't in alphabetical
order and I didn't feel like going through all their stuff. But
they do have a good rep around town as a good place to find stuff.

Its used CDs are now all in alphabetical order now. They have
a Jazz section (`New Age' like), hardcore (with Fates Warning,
but mostly satanic stuff), and pop/rock which has your Yes, Rush,
etc. Anyway, they have a great selection of bootlegs for sale ($25
single mainly), and tons of used records + tapes (a $3.99 area,
and a $.19-$1.00 section for the not so good stuff) as well.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                               --------
                               COLORADO
                               --------

::Store::
  Twist  Shout
::Address::
  300 East Almeda Avenue, Denver, Colorado, 80209
::Phone::
  (303) 722-1943
::Fax::
  (303) 733-8191
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::Comments::
  Hours are 11-7 Monday-Friday, 10-6 Saturday, and 12-5 Sunday. This
  shop is an independent store with a deep catalogue.  Progressive
  music is definitely available, but does not form the majority of
  their catalogue.  They are more of a full-service store.  However,
  the accent is most definitely on the hard-to-find, eclectic,
  or otherwise noteworthy CD as opposed to a main line offering.
  They have a newsletter.  The current issue of the newsletter
  states in part that "Twist  Shout has had its best year-to-date
  since we began seven years ago.  We credit this to the quality of
  the shopping experience our customers have when they come to our
  store; atmosphere, listening stations, trade-in service, used CD's
  at $7.99, in-store play, newsletter, top-25 list, deep catalogue,
  special-order service and our extremely knowledgeable and helpful
  employees-all these make the visit itself here as satisfying as
  the music one finds." Apparently you can order over the phone or
  through email.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                                 ----
                                 IOWA
                                 ----

::Store::
  Record Collector
::Address::
  125 E. Washington Street, Iowa City, Iowa 52240
::Comments::
  
Operated by Kirk Walther. I have done business with Kirk for years,
and his shop has always been an interesting place. The store has
just moved to a new location, and continues to stock a healthy
supply of Krautrock, progressive folk/rock and techno titles on both
CD and LP. Artists in stock almost always include Can, Xhol, Faust
and many other classic Krautrock groups. Most new prog Spalaxes and
similar releases on other labels appear at RC regularly, and I have
also seen It's a Beautiful Day, Groundhogs, Fairport Convention and
other unusual stuff in both CD and LP formats there. It's a great
shop for Beatles and Beatles related titles also.

Kirk takes trades, has a lot of used vinyl and CDs, gets a lot of
alternative traffic, but likes prog, Krautrock and old Ravi Shankar
LPs (!) a lot. Prices: used CDs go for $7-$11 depending on rarity,
if imports, then slightly more. Vinyl prices vary considerably, based
on rarity, condition and so forth.  Special orders are possible,
but still take a long time to come in.  A great little shop you
need to visit if you're ever in the area.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                               ---------
                               MINNESOTA
                               ---------

::Store::
  Roadrunner Records
::Address::
  43rd and Nicollet, Minneapolis
::Comments::
  They have a separate prog section (which I must admit impressed
  me).  They carry Can, Camel, Beefheart, Gentle Giant, Egg, Art
  Bears, Faust, The Muffins, Dr. Nerve, Art Zoyd, Univers Zero,
  Matching Mole, Soft Machine, etc. etc. They have lots of imports
  at very reasonable prices (usually $14-17).  They're open 10-6
  Monday through Saturday and 12-5 on Sunday. Most employees seem
  at least moderately interested in prog. Usually, anything I
  buy there receives a knowledgeable comment from the cashier.
  I believe they'll special order, too.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Spröckets
::Address::
  2938 Biddle Avenue, Wyandotte, MI 48192
::Phone::
  (313)284-1598
::Comments::
  This storefront is run by The Music Broker Ltd., which, I
  understand, has exclusive U.S. distribution rights on Ozric
  Tentacles.  They specialize in imports of all genres, but their
  catalog has a great selection of prog and psych titles. Looking
  over the list, I see CDs by Amon Düül, Arrakeen, Asgard, Atoll,
  Banco, Cathedral, Edhels, Eloy, Goblin...you get the idea. Their
  prices are a little on the high side ($18.95 to $21.95 for most
  imports), but they occasionally have an `all imports for $11.95'
  sale, which I'm anxiously awaiting since I've seen their catalog :)
  They also do mail order.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                               --------
                               MARYLAND
                               --------

::Store::
  Of Sound Mind
::Address::
  8600 Foundry Street, Box 2086, Savage MD 20763
::Phone::
  (301) 497-6488
::Fax::
  (301) 497-6815
::Hours::
  Sunday 12-5, Monday-Saturday 12-9, closed Tuesday.
::Comments::
  
Carries 70's Prog, Neo-prog, Jazz, Fusion, Space, Electronic, World
Music, Industrial, Classical, some new-agey stuff - and that's
all. No pop, rock, country, metal, alternative, etc. Extensive
breadth of progressive material, and good depth for the big names
(Camel, Caravan, Soft Machine, Gentle Giant, Ozrics, etc.)  They do
special order and mail order sales. Chris Lamka is the owner and
sole propriator and is extremely knowledgeable about prog. Domestics
run about $14-15, imports generally in the $18-22 range, used stuff
is generally $8-10 for CD's but vinyl varies all over the place
depending on quality and rarity. Trades are generally welcome. Some
cassettes and videos are also available, as are other things like
sketches and paintings. An antique center in the same mill complex
has a web page with a map and directions to the center at:

<URL:http://www.antique-cntr-savage.com/directs.html>

Excellent place to get imports - Italian, Scandanavian,
French. Well-stocked in the Canterbury classics. Lots of small,
indy labels and obscure domestic stuff. This is a store dedicated
to the progressive listener.

Of Sound Mind was known as Playing By Ear before Chris bought it
a few years ago.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                             -------------
                             MASSACHUSETTS
                             -------------

::Store::
  Newbury Comics
::Address::
  Multiple shops - see their Web page.
::WWW::
  <URL:http://www.newbury.com>
::Comments::
  The shop in Cambridge, Boston is excellent. Much outré material
  including RéR and industrial/experimental. There is a free local
  paper you can find on the streets in the area that contains coupons
  for the store which entitles you to $3 off any disc over, I think,
  $12.99. See their Web page for more details. Thay have on-line
  ordering on their web page. Recommended.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                              ----------
                              NEW JERSEY
                              ----------

::Store::
  Compact Disc Center
::Address::
  Route 35 South, Middletown
::Hours::
  10-9 M/F, 10-7 Sat, 12-5 Sun
::Comments::
  
This store has TONS of imports by all types of bands, but carries a
lot of prog. They had almost the entire Magma catalog, lots of Gong,
Renaissance (both lineups), all of the Gryphon CDs, Atomic Rooster,
lots of Hawkwind, etc.

Good selection, not the cheapest place around but well worth a
visit.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  The Trading Post
::Address::
  Route 1 South next to Route 18 Ramp
::Hours::
  Open until 9pm weekdays, not sure about weekends
::Comments::
  
To each his own but I thought this place was a total waste of time.
My experience of this place is SO out of line with what's written
up in the other entry, that I can only guess that the nature of
the store has changed (drastically) since the entry was written.
Didn't see a single prog disk.  The comment that they sell nothing
but used CDs is very wrong (CDs are actually only a corner of
the store) and the only reason to "spend at least an hour" there
is because you're moving trash aside to get a pile of mostly
unalphabetized CD's . Total thumbs down from me on this one.

If you go to this store be prepared to spend at least an hour
perusing through their racks. The Trading Post (2nd floor) sells
nothing but used CDs, thousands of them. They buy everything and
sell it at prices ranging from $6 - $10. I have found CDs by Carmen,
Formula 3, Vivian Stanshall, Caravan, Seventh Wave, Gracious, Dixie
Dregs, Material, Robert Musso, etc. plus bands from all over the
world that I have never heard of. Its pretty much pot luck, but
if you like to browse and are interested in checking out obscure
bands this is a good place to start.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Cheap Thrills
::Address::
  Church Street, New Brunswick
::Comments::
  
Tiny hole-in-the-wall but you MIGHT find something worthwhile
there. More likely to find it on vinyl than CD, however.

Mostly an alternative type store, but has some decent prog titles,
i.e. Van Der Graaf Generator, Kevin Ayers, Amon Düül I  II,
National Health. Also has a diverse used section in which I've
found Caravan, Barclay James Harvest. Only store in New Jersey that
carries Mirthrandir! (I just though that was pretty funny).

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Princeton Record Exchange
::Address::
  20 S. Tulane St., Princeton, NJ 08542
::Phone::
  (609) 921-0881
::Hours::
  Mon-Sat 10-8, Sun 12-6
::Comments::
  
One of my favorites for years.  Not real big on Italian or French
progrock for some reason but a huge selection at mostly pretty good
prices.

PRE is located half a block north of Nassau Street opposite the
university library. It is a good place to look for progressive rock
in a town which is anything but progressive.

It claims to be one of the largest collectors' stores in the country
and boasts 100,000 lp's, 30,000 CD's and 10,000 tapes. They don't
tend to carry many new prog CD's, though I have seen HTM, Camel,
Carvan, and A. Phillips there, as well the more `mainstream' stuff
like Crimson, Genesis and Floyd. Depending on the day, you can find
a number of used prog CD's as there are apparently a number of local
prog-heads unloading their goods. I've seen Pinhas, Weingarten (!),
Eloy, and GG to name a few. New domestics sell for about $15. Used
CD's sell for $6-$10.

The real story here is the vinyl section. The majority of lp's sell
for an amazing $1.99; few sell for more than $6.99. I've encountered
prog gems by the likes of PFM, Acqua Fragile, McDonald and Giles (!),
Camel, Caravan (lots!), and many others. Also in the vinyl section
are a number of (unalphabetized) $.99 record bins, shoved under
the regular vinyl racks. If you don't mind spending some time on
your knees, you can find LP's by most of the mainstream prog bands.

As with any used shop, the stock will vary considerably from one time
to another. The vinyl section has a fairly quick turn-over rate, so
if you come once and are disappointed, try again in a month or two.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                               --------
                               NEW YORK
                               --------

::Store::
  World Wide Music  Video Games
::Address::
  3100 Main Street, Buffalo
::Phone::
  (716) 832-2636
::Comments::
  Carries a LOT of imports and progressive rock. Lots of Eloy,
  Camel and Nektar, among others.  Call them if you need any more
  info. They also do special orders on domestic and import titles.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Downtown Music Gallery
::Address::
  211 East 5th St., New York
::Phone::
  (212) 473-0043
::Comments::
  The store caters to the NYC Downtown Music Scene, like the Knitting
  Factory, and lots of progressive, Canterbury, experimental,
  electronic and jazz releases.  The man at the counter, Bruce,
  is perhaps the most knowledgeable salesman I've ever met, and
  certainly the friendliest. The store is jam full of music, and
  they don't frown on vinyl. For records on the Recommended/Rift
  label, and lots of European and Japanese prog records this is a
  good source. Mail order is no problem either.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Nowhere
::Address::
  2016 Crompond Rd., Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
::Phone::
  914 962 6274
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::Comments::
  Hrs Mon-Sa 11-6. Originally Pantasia Recorz of NYC 1974- 80,
  specializing in imported  other rock. Later became Mad Platters of
  Yonkers  Carmel NY 1980 - 95. Now renamed again  in Yorktown. STILL
  HAVE A GOOD QUANTITY OF VINYL PERTINENT TO THIS GROUP (as well as
  40 different genres  60,000 LPs total). Not many of the serious
  collectibles left, though. Mail for lists.  Wants welcome. Weak
  on CDs  more current artists.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                             ------------
                             PENNSYLVANIA
                             ------------

::Name::
  The Record Connection
::Address::
  550 North Reading Road,Ephrata, PA  17522
::Phone::
  717-733-1641
::WWW::
  <URL:http://www.recordconnectionpa.com>
::Comments::
  
A record store that offers a massive inventory of over 140,000 vinyl
records, rare cds and imports, and music memorabilia. Specializes
in Prog Rock and Psychedelic. The owner is Andy Kamm.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                                 -----
                                 TEXAS
                                 -----

::Name::
  RPM RECORDS
::Address::
  1900 Oates Drive, STE 200 Mesquite, Texas 75150
::Phone::
  214-681-8441
::Fax::
  214-681-9486
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::Comments::
  
We have been in business for 14 years.  We sell new, used, domestic
and import, CD's, LP's, Cass and Laser Videos. Our specialty is 60's
and 70's rarities, progressive and alternative. We also have a large
selection of Japanese laser discs. We have a 3,200 square ft store on
the corner of Interstate 635 and Oates Drive in Mesquite (a suburb of
Dallas). We ship out daily UPS, and accept all major credit cards.

Randy Frierson is the owner. About the only place in Dallas to get
progressive rock. Randy Frierson's tastes run from punk/alternative
to Krautrock, so these two areas are generally covered well.  Also a
pretty good selection of spacey fusion, Ozric Tentacles, Porcupine
Tree, etc.  Also a good selection of the big names - Gentle Giant,
Nektar, Caravan, Camel, Marillion, iQ...  Occasionally gets hard
to find live recordings.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Vinal Edge Records
::Address::
  13171 Veteran's Memorial Dr., Houston, TX 77014
::Phone::
  (713)-537-2575
::Fax::
  (713)-537-7228
::WWW::
  <URL:http://rampages.onramp.net/~vinaledg/>
::Hours::
  Mon.-Sat. 11am-9pm, and 12pm-6pm on Sun.
::Comments::
  
All the progressive stuff is in the Avant Garde/Noise/Experimental
section. Quite a good selection of things. I noticed multiple Area,
Art Zoyd and Nurse With Wound without really trying too hard.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

          ===================================================
          Stores Outside The USA That Carry Progressive Music
          ===================================================

::Name::
  Acme Records
::Address::
  PO Box 248, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN14 6WT, UK
::Fax::
  01959 565983
::Comments::
  
Another good source. CDs and vinyl (mostly new), and competetively
priced, mostly psych and prog. Acme is a label as well, both for
original material and reissues, although their issues are nearly
all psych. It's connected (I'm not sure how) with the UK neo-psych
band Sundial.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  La Boite Musicale/The Musical Box
::Address::
  305 St-Joseph, Hull, PQ, J8Y 3Y6, Canada
::Phone::
  (819) 772-1839
::Fax::
  (819) 770-9076
::Comments::
  
Open every day.  Sat to Wed (11 to 5)  Thu, Fri (11 to 9). Offers
a selection of well over 100 prog titles that you can listen to in
the listening booth.  Also offers used CD and classic Vinyl. Just
10 minutes from downtown Ottawa.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Dark Sides
::Address::
  c/o Olivier Fromentin, 61 Route du Petit Medoc, 86800, Sevres,
  Anxaumont, France
::Phone::
  +33 549 452 930
::Fax::
  +33 549 452 919
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::Comments::
  Credit cards accepted. French records (LPs and SPs) by mail. 4
  catalogs/year. Specializing in progressive, fusion, electronic,
  psychedelic, folk, jazz, avant-garde, blues rock and so on.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Mellotronen
::Address::
  Kaakbrinken 16, 11127, Stockholm
::Phone::
  +46 8 20 00 12
::Fax::
  +46 8 24 42 42
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::Comments::
  Closest metro station is Gamla Stan. Apparently, the opening
  hours are 11:00 -- 18:00. This is the shop run by Stefan Dimle,
  the bassist of Landberk, and the director of the (now defunct?)
  Mellotronen label (which released, among others, Änglagård's
  *Hybris*).  Lots of prog, some vinyl, some non-prog.  Tell Stefan
  that Ron Chrisley sent you ...

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Minus Zero Records
::Address::
  2 Blenheim Crescent, London, W11 1NN, UK
::Phone::
  0171 299 5424
::Comments::
  Hours are Friday and Saturday only, 10 to 6.  This shop
  is extremely small and crowded, but has a huge selection of
  progressive, psychedelic, rock, oldies, eclectic, and generally
  hard-to-find CDs.  It is mainly concerned with CDs that are
  generally not found in main line stores like Tower Records.
  Progressive music, both old and new forms a big percentage of their
  catalogue.  It seems to be run by people that are doing it more out
  of a love for the music than as a major money making proposition.
  They will do orders over the phone.  Mick Dillingham, a rock
  critic writing for the Ptolemaic Terrascope, works in the shop.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Piccadilly Records
::Address::
  5/7 Brown Street, Manchester, M2 1DA, UK
::Phone::
  +44 (0161) 839 8008
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::WWW::
  <URL:http://gromit.mcc.ac.uk/piccadilly/>
::Comments::
  Not actually visited this outlet but I have had things bought for
  me from there. Said things were quite obscure and had hand-written
  stickers giving details of genre and links to other artists which
  impressed. Knowledgeable and well-priced with a good catalogue.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Second Sounds
::Address::
  71 Camden Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
::Phone::
  +44 (01892) 547131
::Hours::
  Mon-Sat 10.00-17.30
::Comments::
  
Second Sounds - purveyors of all things cosmic/trip/prog - and -
second-hand! Good selection of Hawkwind/Ozrics/Gong/Yes etc, on good,
old-fashioned vinyl! Give us a ring to see what's in!

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Track Records
::Address::
  15 High Ousegate, York, YO1 2RZ, UK
::Phone::
  +44 (01904) 629022 (4 lines)
::Fax::
  +44 (01904) 610637
::Comments::
  
I have been buying CDs from them since 1989, I have never ever
been disappointed. The store is owned by Keith Howe, but its
the mail-order manager, Alan Beecroft with whom I have mostly
dealt with. What he doesn't know about progressive music isn't
worth knowing. He is extremely helpful, and is very friendly on
the phone.  They keep a huge stock of CDs from the 60, 70s and 80s
and well as current titles. They also produce a catalogue from
time to time. The last major one was in two parts totalling 124
pages, and I have recently received a spring 1995 supplement of 42
pages. Excellent stuff.  Track advertise in the UKs monthly Record
Collector magazine. They accept credit cards, and once on file,
just order, a swift check on your details and the goods are sent.
They also sell videos, cassettes, vinyl and keep a number of
specialist magazines

Decidedly average outlet. Reasonable amount of Cantebury related
material and not a great deal else of note. No RIO, zeuhl (one
second hand Magma *Live*) to speak of. Rather conservative.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Prognetik Records
::Address::
  Stalsberggt 20, 2010 Strommen, Norway
::Phone::
  +4763801939
::Comments::
  The proprietor is Rune Schau, co-editor of Prognetik Magazine
  (see FAQ 3).

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Ultima Thule
::Address::
  1 Conduit Street, Leicester, LE2 OJN, UK
::Phone::
  +44 (0116) 2854545
::Fax::
  +44 (0116) 2854555
::Comments::
  Excellent mail-order store. Their shop is supposedly good. They
  have a very large inventory of indeed and are very knowledegable
  about progressive music. Particularly the German and electronic
  music. International mail order. Quite expensive though, even
  for the UK. They have odd opening hours.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Acetato Records
::Address::
  c/o Pelayo, 12 bajo, Valencia, Spain
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::WWW::
  <URL:http://www.ctv.es/USERS/acetato/>
::Phone::
  34-6-3510550 (Spanish only)
::Comments::
  Excellent store specializing in prog and psych, both CD and vinyl,
  including many rarities. They stock music from all over including
  South America and Mexico. It is run by Jose Martin Hernandez, who
  is the man behind the Lost Vinyl label (Atila, Itoiz, etc.). He
  is very knowledgeable and would play stuff for you to audition. He
  also runs a mail order service. His extensive catalog is free for
  the asking. Address catalog requests to: Jose Martin Hernandez,
  Records and CDs by Mail, Apartado 8347, 46080 Valencia, Spain.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Discos Melocoton
::Address::
  Salud 10, Madrid, Spain
::Phone::
  531-85-44
::Comments::
  Great little store in the heart of Madrid (Puerta del Sol
  area). They stock music from all over the world and, of course,
  Spain. They stock quite a bit of prog plus other genres. Very
  knowledgeable staff. The store is about equally divided between
  CDs and LPs. Large section of used LPs but no used CDs. Spanish
  releases are ~ $14.00 and others ~ $20.00. Recently, they
  have ventured into releasing CDs under their own label (Discos
  Melocoton). My favorite store in Madrid!

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Madrid Rock
::Address::
  Gran Via 25, Madrid, Spain
::Phone::
  523-26-52
::Comments::
  Madrid Rock is the largest chain of music stores in the Madrid
  area. They carry mainly the nuts and bolts CDs that any other chain
  store carries. *However*, this particular store in the Gran Via
  has a whole aisle dedicated to rock from Spain, including most
  of the Spanish prog groups (Bloque, Triana, Mezquita, Eduardo
  Bort, Granada, Gotic, etc.) and at a relatively nice price (~
  $14.00). They have the largest selection of Spanish rock CDs I
  have seen anywhere in Spain. Also, this is the only store that
  does not close for the siesta.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Pan y Musica
::Address::
  C/ Ros de Olano 12, 08012, Barcelona, Spain
::Phone::
  (93) 237-6568
::Fax::
  (93) 415-0219
::WWW::
  <URL:http://www.thesaurus.net/panymusica/>
::Comments::
  
The store is located close to Fontana subway station. They
have a lot of progressive stuff, specially neo-progressive (IQ,
Pendragon, Jadis, Cyan, Leviathan, Citizien Cain, Casino, Twelth
Night, Violent District, Arrakeen, Big Picture, Aragon, Pallas,
Starcastle, Clepsydra, Chandelier, etc). They also have a good list
of Spanish and Italian releases (Gotic, Iman, Asfalato, PFM, Banco,
Osanna, Le Orme, Arti+Mestieri, Eris Pluvia, Harnakis, Galadriel,
Il Volo, Metamorfosi, Seminaris, etc), among other countries and
differents styles in the prog. scene (Änglagård, Amon Düül, Atoll,
Cathedral, Coda, Collage, Curved Air, Dice, Dream Theater, Echolyn,
Eloy, The Enid, Greenslade, Henry Cow, Kayak, Machiavel, Nektar,
O Terc,o, Popol Vuh, Sagrado, Tiemko, Triumvirat, etc, etc).
They have a smaller collection of Rock, Jazz and New-Age music.
The prices range from 1800 to 3400 pts (about $14-$26). Twice a
year they print their updated catalogue (I have the last one).

The catalogue they produce is stunning. Many albums listed have
full colour reproductions of the covers and it is well typeset.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Records on Wheels
::Address::
  32 King Street East, Dundas, Ontario, Canada
::Phone::
  (905) 627-7706
::Fax::
  (905) 627 7706
::Comments::
  Carries Gentle Giant, UK, Eloy, King Crimson, Ozric Tentacles,
  Renaissance, etc.  Talk to Mike for special orders. Prices are
  fairly reasonable.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Rock en stock
::Address::
  1238 Crescent, Montreal, Québec, Canada, H3G-2A9
::Phone::
  (514) 878-1648
::Fax::
  (514) 878-4419
::Comments::
  They have a good stock in new prog stuff and also in the classic
  big names.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Le Free-Son
::Address::
  1477 Mont-Royal east, Montreal, Québec,	Canada
::Phone::
  521-5159
::Hours::
  Open during normal business hours, 6 days a week.
::Comments::
  The only new CDs they sell are progressive rock. The rest of CDs
  and LPs are second hand. They have a wide selection of progrock
  CDs, including Ter reno Baldio, Minimum Vital, Isildurs Bane,
  Ozrics, Banco, P.F.M., etc.. and of course the big names like
  Gentle Giant, Peter Hammill, ELP, Tangerine Dream, Genesis,
  etc...  Le Free-Son has three CD players in store, one of them
  being a 100-disc carousel and two of them are dedicated to the
  customers. There are chairs at the back and people are welcome
  to leisurely hear the discs before buying, using headphones. The
  staff are very friendly.

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  SHOP 33
::Address::
  47, cours de la Marne, 33000 BORDEAUX, France
::Phone::
  56 94 51 63
::Fax::
  56 92 59 85
::Comments::
  Free listing. CDs from all over the world.

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Disk Union (shinjuku shop)
::Address::
  3-31-4, Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan
::Phone::
  03-3352-2691
::Comments::
  All rock music. They have more than 20 shops. Shinjuku (best),
  Kichijoji, Ochanomizu and Yokohama shops have good prog collection
  include avant-garde style. They also publish Arch Angel magazine
  and run Archangero label. New CD is reasonable price and they have
  best used prog CD collection in Japan.  They accept credit card.

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Garden Shed
::Address::
  3F-A, 7-16-15, Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan
::Phone::
  03-5389-6721
::Fax::
  03-5389-6722
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::Hours::
  11:00-20:30
::Comments::
  Symphonic prog. All prog new CD and little rare vinyl. Shop owner
  is Katsuhiko Hayashi of Mugen. They are whole distributor of Made
  in Japan Records CD. Also they have good collection of world wide
  female vocal /folk /trad CDs.

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  GSM
::Address::
  7-16-13, Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan
::Phone::
  03-5386-5915
::Fax::
  03-5272-4708
::Hours::
  14:00-19:30 (open 7 days)
::Comments::
  Rare vinly shop. Especially they stock lots of European rock
  LPs. They can mail order service.

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Record Shop Urasia
::Address::
  7-16-13, Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan
::Phone::
  03-3362-2639
::Fax::
  03-3362-2639
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::WWW::
  <URL:http://plaza20.mbn.or.jp/~eurasia/home.html>
::Hours::
  15:00-19:30 (closed Thursday)
::Comments::
  Rare vinly shop. Especially they stock lots of European rock
  LPs. They have a mail order service.

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Shinjuku Record
::Address::
  shinjuku-ku, nishi-shinjuku 7-5-6, shinjuku-daikan-plaza 756,
  2nd floor, Tokyo, Japan
::Phone::
  03-3365-4823
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::WWW::
  <URL:http://www.mmjp.or.jp/shinjuku-rec/sjk>
::Hours::
  11:30-19:30 (closed Monday)
::Comments::
  Symphonic prog and Metal. They sell both CD and vinyl. They
  are oldest prog rock record shops in Japan. They can mail order
  service. They accept credit card.

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Si-Wan Records
::Address::
  Black Planet, 494 Queen St. West, Toronto, Ontario M5V 2B3, Canada
::Phone::
  (416) 504-9261
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::WWW::
  <URL:http://www.si-wan.com/>
::Comments::
  
Si-wan Records is a Korea-based label,specializing in reissuing
progressive rock and euro-rock. It also has its own stores in Seoul
and Toronto for retail sales and mail order. We sell not only Si-Wan
label cds but also sell lots of imported cds like Japanese pressing
and European pressing. We also focus on Kraut rock, Techno, Ambient
music and world pop music.

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Vinyl Japan
::Address::
  7-4-9  7-4-5, Nishi-Shnjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan
::Phone::
  03-3365-0910	03-5330-9141 respectively
::Hours::
  12:00-21:00 (7 days)
::Comments::
  Rare vinyl shop including some prog classics (King Crimson,
  Genesis, Yes....)

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  World Disque
::Address::
  3-1-17-102, Shimo-ochiai, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan
::Phone::
  03-3954-5348
::Fax::
  03-3954-9563
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::Hours::
  13:00-20:00 (closed Tuesday)
::Comments::
  All prog new and used CD/Vinyl. They are shop of Marquee
  magazine. They also operate Belle Antique/Avalon label. They have
  best prog new CD collection in Japan include Japanese musicians
  works.

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
	       
--------------------
This FAQ is maintained by Phil Kime([email-masked]). Comments,
questions, and criticisms are positively always welcome.  This text
was taken in part from the previous versions of this FAQ, which
were maintained by Scott McMahan, and Mike Borella. The FAQs were
brought into being originally through the sterling efforts of Malcolm
Humes. Many thanks go to all of these gentlemen for their excellent
work.--------------------

RIO started as the name of a festival in London organised
by Henry Cow in 1978 and featuring groups from Italy, Sweden,
France and Belgium. After the concert, they decided to formalize
the coalition. They organized tours and festivals in each others
countries. According to Henry Cow drummer/lyricist Chris Cutler,
RIO as an organization failed due to political and philosophical
differences: there is no longer an official RIO, and has not been for
some time but it succeeded and has continued to grow as a cultural
phenomenon.

The original RIO artists were Henry Cow, Samla Mammas Manna,
Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, Stormy Six, Art Bears, Aqsak Maboul, and
Etron Fou Leloublan.  Associated artists include Magma, Albert
Marcoeur, ZNR, Feliu y Joan Albert, Musica Urbana, Goebbels
Harth, Kraldjursanstalten, Unrest, Work  Play, The Residents,
Faust, L. Voag, Mnemonists, This Heat, Cassiber, Thinking Plague,
Haniwa Chan, and John Oswald. (There are, of course, many others.)
This information was derived from Cutler's book, "File Under Popular"
(see FAQ 3).

From Mike Borella ([email-masked]): The term RIO is now used as
a way of describing some of the more indescribable musics created
today by artists that are influenced to some degree by the original
RIO artists. The "new" RIO influenced bands would include U Totem,
Thinking Plaugue, 5UU's, Lacrymosa, and maybe Banda Elastika. So
when someone says that a new band sound like RIO, you know that maybe
be influenced by RIO or are just weird/elcectic or just strange.

See Phil Zampino's ([email-masked]) Web site dedicated to RIO
artists and labels at:

<URL:http://www.panix.com/~zampino/rer/>

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How many versions of Gentle Giant's 
----------------------------------------------------------------------

*Free Hand*

 have been on CD, and what are the differences?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

From [email-masked] (Daniel Barrett): There have been 4
versions on CD: two from One Way Records in the USA, and two from
Terrapin Trucking, a.k.a. Road Goes On Forever (RGOF), in Great
Britain.  Summary: there are large differences between the first
three versions, and the Terrapin/RGOF versions are acknowledged by
fans to be the best.

Now for the longer answer. The first CD came from One Way Records,
number CDL 57338.  This disc was mastered from inferior American
master tapes and sounds very muffled.  If you turn up your treble
control, the disc sounds almost normal, but overall the sound is
mediocre.

In response to complaints from fans, One Way recalled all the old
CD's from stores, sought out better master tapes, and rereleased
*Free Hand* with the SAME identification number, CDL 57338.  It is
not possible to distinguish between the first and second *Free Hand*
CD's from the packaging.  The only way to tell by eye is to open
the package and examine the code number stamped on the disc rim.
The old disc says "AM6/CDL 57338", and the new disc says "ESK 1 <010>
CDL 57338".

The second One Way disc has much better sound. The master tape that
One Way used, however, is a very strange one.  It is not the same
tape that was used for any previous release of the album, and the
music is actually different from the original! In "Time To Kill",
Derek Schulman sings some of the lines instead of Ray Schulman;
for example, `And with no questions then, he finds his way'. In
"On Reflection", the drums come in half a verse earlier than in the
original. And worst of all, at the climax of "On Reflection", when
the full band comes crashing in, the drums are barely audible! This
CD is worth owning because it is different from any previous release,
but it is notrepresentative version of the album.

Next, Terrapin/RGOF released their first *Free Hand* disc,
identification number RGF CD 1004. It uses the correct master tapes
and has very good sound quality. I find it a little bit bass-heavy,
but it is much better than the other versions. Some fans complained
that the disc had too much hiss, and Terrapin/RGOF remastered it to
remove hiss, giving the disc a new identification number, TRUCKCD
004. Reportedly, the differences between the two Terrapin/RGOF
discs are minor. If you own only 1 *Free Hand* CD, get this one.

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
	       
--------------------
This FAQ is maintained by Phil Kime([email-masked]). Comments,
questions, and criticisms are positively always welcome.  This text
was taken in part from the previous versions of this FAQ, which
were maintained by Scott McMahan, and Mike Borella. The FAQs were
brought into being originally through the sterling efforts of Malcolm
Humes. Many thanks go to all of these gentlemen for their excellent
work.--------------------
::Comments::
  Adventurous and excellent newsletter

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Publication::
  Exposé
::Editor/Contact::
  Peter Thelen
::Address::
  6167 Jarvis Ave #150, Newark, CA
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::WWW::
  <URL:http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1831/expo-nl.html>
::Phone::
  (510) 791-6186
::Scope/Musical Domain::
  "Exploring the Boundaries of Rock"
::Language::
  English
::Format::
  Newsletter, A4, 60pp+, BW
::Subscription Rates::
  Price format is (Single issue/4 issue subscription). USA -
  ($4.50/$18), please see web page for overseas and other prices.
::Frequency::
  Quarterly
::Comments::
  
Exposé is carried by: Wayside Music, Ranjit, Musea, Of Sound Mind
(?), Sights  Sounds, and occasionally Ultima Thule. Also by the
following California record stores: CD Warehouse (Newark  Sunnyvale),
and Rhino (Claremont). It's also carried by "Le FreeSon" in Montreal,
Québec. Now also carried by: Rush-Mor Music (Milwaukee), Vinyl
Solutions (Grand Rapids), Twisted Village (Cambridge), World Disque
(Tokyo), Record Runner (Brazil)

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Publication::
  Synthesis
::Address::
  219 Napfle St., Philadelphia PA 19111
::Scope/Musical Domain::
  Electronic oriented
::Language::
  English
::Subscription Rates::
  $5 per 4 issues, $7 overseas.
::Comments::
  Electronic oriented.	Claims not to be interested in art rock
  but has had info on Kit Watkins.

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Publication::
  Lullabye Letter
::Editor/Contact::
  c/o North American Robert Wyatt Apreciation Society
::Address::
  9690 NE Adolf Rd., Newberg OR 97132-7000
::Scope/Musical Domain::
  Robert Wyatt
::Language::
  English
::Comments::
  Grass roots zine on Wyatt.  Supposedly very good.

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Publication::
  Option
::Address::
  2345 Westwood Blvd Suite 2, Los Angeles CA 90064
::Scope/Musical Domain::
  Independent acts, including progressive artists, mostly Canterbury
  and RIO
::Language::
  English
::Subscription Rates::
  US$15.45 per 6 issues

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Publication::
  Progression
::Editor/Contact::
  John Collinge
::Address::
  PO Box 7164, Lowell, MA 01852
::Scope/Musical Domain::
  Progressive (mostly mainstream)
::Language::
  English
::Subscription Rates::
  4 issues per year. US, Puerto Rico and Canada - $18. Rest of
  world - $23. Sample issues $5 for US etc., $6 for rest of world.
::Comments::
  About the publication: PROGRESSION is an 80-120 page, quarterly
  magazine devoted to news, reviews, interviews and features
  involving progressive rock artists new and old, in the United
  States and overseas. We cover the so called "mainstream"
  progressive acts such as IQ, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull Marillion,
  etc. We include occasional features and reviews on more "serious"
  prog artists such as Univers Zero and Richard Pinhas.  And we
  strive to highlight emerging talent in the progressive realm:
  Echolyn, Prometheus, Ozric Tentacles, Episode, Cairo, Djam Karet,
  Ancient Vision, Anglagard, Witsend, Kalaban, plus many, many
  others. A typical edition of the magazine includes exclusive,
  in-depth interviews with progressive rock artists (past issues have
  featured the likes of Keith Emerson, Greg Lake, Jordan Rudess,
  Mastermind, Änglagård, Bill Bruford, Marillion's Mark Kelly,
  Nik Turner's hawkwind, etc.), plus dozens ofconcert and album
  reviews, tour intineraries and information on new album and video
  release. Photographs accompany the articles. Ample advertising
  provides a forum for those wishing to buy and sell progressive
  recordings and other items.

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Publication::
  Tone Clusters
::Editor/Contact::
  Ken Egbert
::Address::
  5648 Riverdale Av., Suite 105, Bronx, NY 10471
::Phone::
  718 562 4982
::Language::
  English
::Comments::
  Ken is a former employee of Pantasia	Mad Platters, and has
  produced TC sporadicly for 15 or 20 YEARS!! Although thoroughly
  diverse in his interests, his particular love is the Canterbury
  scene, groups like Caravan, Hatfield, etc. Very knowledgeable in
  the English, French, German, Italian,  domestic prog scene of the
  70's	80's, and continues to expose folks to new  interesting
  stuff. Sample copies $2.50  well worth it. You may also phone
  through the Nowhere music store (see FAQ 6) at 914 962 6274 or
  mail through said store at [email-masked]

	       ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FromMike Borella: The basic publication list data is mostly
courtsey of Musea, via Yannick Lallement ([email-masked] or
[email-masked]). Many thanks for their sharing this information
so that others can benefit from it. Also, Kurt Rongey, who runs
the Long Dark Music label, compiled much of the list. The comments
and information is mostly originally from him, though some of the
information was condensed or paraphrased.
--------------------
This FAQ is maintained by Phil Kime([email-masked]). Comments,
questions, and criticisms are positively always welcome.  This text
was taken in part from the previous versions of this FAQ, which
were maintained by Scott McMahan, and Mike Borella. The FAQs were
brought into being originally through the sterling efforts of Malcolm
Humes. Many thanks go to all of these gentlemen for their excellent
work.--------------------
  CD Distributions
::Address::
  Postbus 460, 3990 GG Houten, The Netherlands
::Phone::
  31-30-6341682
::Fax::
  31-30-6341682
::Comments::
  
Apparently filling in the gap left by the defunct SI Music outlet.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Compact Disc Services
::Address::
  40-42 Bruntwood Avenue, Dundee, DD3 6EW, Scotland
::Phone::
  (01382) 776595
::Fax::
  (01382) 736702
::Comments::
  
Their main specialty is electronic and new age synth music: what
they don't know about the availability of T.Dream, Kit Watkins,
Gandalf, etc, etc, isn't worth knowing.  They are also very helpful
with all manner of progressive stuff, including Gong, Canterbury,
Bruford, Camel, etc, etc.  These were the guys who, when I called
up about a CD of Pink Floyd's Relics, instantly knew that it was
only ever available from Australia, its legality was in some doubt,
and has been out of print for about two years. They will get imports
from anywhere in the world, and if you're thinking about a Japanese
import, they will often have a good idea whether it's likely to soon
become available from elsewhere, and therefore be much cheaper if you
wait a while. Their prices are not discounted, and they do charge
postage, but they give a good service (recorded delivery within
the UK), and always seem to know how to try and get obscure stuff.

Very good outlet, reliable with reasonable prices (for Britain
:-). This months ad shows releases by Anyone's Daughter, Asia Minor,
Cannata, Circus, Cirkel, The Enid, Ivory, Kaipa, Kayak, Mercy Train,
Mythos, Pendragon, Red Jasper, SRC and Summer Indoors all for around
$17.00.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Compact Huset
::Address::
  Austmannav. 9, P.O.Box 1756, 5501 Haugesund, Norway
::Phone::
  +47 52 71 61 70
::Fax::
  +47 52 72 98 19
::Comments::
  They deal in all kinds of music, if interested in special things,
  talk to Arnstein (manager) who know most about everything. They
  are very helpful. They release 2 main catalogs and 10 updates
  pr. year. Catalogues can be subscribed for 5-6 pounds for one
  year, 9-10 for two years. Most of the catalog is printed in
  norwegian, but there are some english columns as well. Their
  normal prices are around 13-14 pounds of which 18.02% can be
  deducted (norw. VAT). Special offers, discounts etc. are also
  obtainable. Orders for foreign customers are at minimum 500
  nok (45-47 pounds), orders can be phoned, faxed or mailed
  (snail-mail). Note that it is the cost of the total order
  that is important, not the actual cost (if any records are
  unavailable). They prefer payment by creditcards (VISA, AMERICAN
  EXPRESS and MASTERCARD), but pre-payment is also accepted through
  a proforma invoice. If things are out of stock, and therefore the
  delivery takes some time, they will inform you on your order-status
  if you call them. A very helpful bunch of people.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Cranium Music
::Address::
  PO Box 103-09, Te Rapa, Hamilton, New Zealand
::Phone::
  +64 7 8299 840
::Fax::
  +64 7 8299 980
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::WWW::
  <URL:http://http://www.cranium.co.nz/>
::Comments::
  Import and sell Progressive, Space Rock,Psychedelic, Electronic
  Experimental music. Stock totals some 1000 items with 99% being
  CD's. Labels that we deal with: Acme, Cyclops, Delerium, Dovetail,
  Emergency Broadcast System, Mystic Stones, Voiceprint (all UK)
  Crimsonic, Foxtrot, Xotic Mind (Sweden), Erdenklang, Manikin,
  Music Is Intelligence (Germany), Art Sublime, Lasers Edge, Wild
  Places (USA) plus Spalax (France). We are sole distributors for
  some of the above labels we are starting to get some shops stocking
  Prog etc.  By the way I think we can SAFELY say we are the largest
  stockists of Prog, Psychedelic etc in NZ (and POSSIBLY Australia).

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Delerium Records/The Freak Emporium
::Address::
  PO Box 1288, Gerrards Cross, Bucks, SL9 9YB, UK.
::Tel::
  +44 (0)1753 893008
::Fax::
  +44 (0)1753 892879
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::WWW::
  <URL:http://www.delerium.co.uk/>
::Comments::
  Extensive mail-order list combining new releases and
  reissues. Concentrates mainly on psychedelic and underground
  titles, ltd edition reissues from 60s through 90s. Send E:Mail, SAE
  or IRC for current list. Updated lists of new stock also available
  on request.  Our tastes are quite diverse: Prog-rock, Space-Rock,
  Kraut-Rock, Psychedelia, Garage, Folk-Psych, Ambient, Rave -
  and everypoint inbetween. We also run our own label, dedicated to
  releasing new progressive/psychedelic and underground music by new
  artists; and a Porcupine Tree information service. Credit cards
  accepted, but there is a 5% surcharge. Order turn-round is usually
  24 to 48 hours, and goods are dispatched the same day payment is
  received. Double CD "Pick  Mix" label sampler available for £5 UK,
  £6 Europe, £7 (or $12 US Cash) elsewhere. Cheques/PO's payable to
  "Delerium Records".

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Diffusion I Media
::Address::
  4487 Rue Adam, Montreal (QC), Canada H1V 1T9
::Comments::
  Carry some Canadian emusic indie artists like Michel Redolfi,
  Bernard Parmaging and others. Only accept US postal MO, IMO or
  check drawn on a Canadian bank.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Discipline Global Mobile
::Address::
  PO Box 1533, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP5 5ER
::Fax::
  (+44) (01722) 781042
::Fax::
  (+44) (01722) 780165
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::WWW::
  <URL:http://www.discipline.co.uk/>
::Comments::
  Official outlet for King Crimson/Robert Fripp projects in the UK
  as part of Fripp's new distributed distribution project. They
  now take credit card orders by email for which they need your
  full name (as apearing on the card), full postal address, card
  number and card expiry date. You can also order by credit card
  from the World Wide Web page given above. A very nice Web site now
  with lots of information on DGM artists, full ordering facility,
  news etc. Well worth looking at.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  G.A.S. - Gong Appreciation Society
::Address::
  PO Box 871, Glastonbury, Somerset, BA6 9FE, UK
::Comments::
  GAS in the UK carries a number of tapes of rare Gong and Gong
  related folks, LPs, CDs, tshirts, posters, lyrics, newsletters,
  tour info and other goodies. Also see the US GAS listing above.
  As of 1990, GAS Membership costs 8 pounds per year. You receive
  atape of unreleased material, a discount of 10% on anything
  ordered, and quarterly newsletters to which you are welcome
  to contribute.  I suspect rates may have changed. I'd recommend
  sending an IRC asking for more info.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Electronic Dreams
::Address::
  c/o Clive Littlewood, Silverton Villa, Higher Bugle, St. Austell,
  Cornwall, PL26 8PY, UK
::Phone::
  +44 (01726) 850232
::Fax::
  +44 (01726) 69135
::Comments::
  Phone contact should ask for "Cleve" and aim to phone between
  5.30 and 6.30pm. Electronic Dreams is a label and outlet for new
  electronic music.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Eventyr Record
::Address::
  PO Box 12319 - 00135, Rome, Italy
::Phone::
  +39-6-3326 2264
::Fax::
  
::Email::
  [email-masked]+39-6-3326 2654
::Comments::
  
Mail order home of the Progland label. Also carries things from  the
following labels: Seventh, Ageness, Ciclo, Briskeby, Kalemegdan,
WMMS, Mezzo Disctribution, Progressive Rock Worldwide, Vinyl Top
and Ars Mundi.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  GFT
::Address::
  33a Tolworth Park Road, Tolworth, Surrey, KT6 7RL
::Phone::
  +44 (0181) 339 9965 (Monday to Friday  answerphone at weekends)
::Fax::
  +44 (0181) 399 0070
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::WWW::
  <URL:http://www.gft-cyclops.co.uk>
::Comments::
  Good reputation. Run by Malcolm Parker who is really friendly
  on the phone and very helpful generally. In addition to being
  a pleasant place to order from, their prices are superb (modulo
  the UK!)  ... I have not seen a cheaper place in the UK. Their
  catalogue has a good range, nothing too esoteric, plus special
  sections devoted to Canterbury, `Head' music etc. P and P rates are
  very good indeed and they seem to send orders of 3+ CDs recorded
  delivery. Very quickly too ... I often get next-day service even
  if I ring in the afternoon! They have a special offers list that
  includes currently favoured material that's offered at an all-in
  rate which includes P and P. They also send out an update with
  end-of-line items. A very good mail order outlet.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Tim Holden
::Address::
  139 Hawkfield Crescent NW, Calgary, Canada T3G 1Z4
::Phone::
  (403) 241-9073  (5-9 PM PST)
::Comments::
  Tim is a guy who deals mainly in used LPs and works shows in
  his area, he's got good contacts with a lot of other dealers
  collectors in his area, and seems to have no trouble finding rare
  and out-of-print stuff if you give him a little time. He found
  me 6 o/p albums by Maneige over the course of the last year, and
  found the whole FM catalog for a friend of mine, including the
  rare first album "Headroom", all for very reasonable prices. His
  service is extremely good, turn-around-time is quick, and he's a
  really friendly chap to talk with on the phone. Recommended for
  o/p stuff.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Mike Lloyd Music Mail Order
::Address::
  14-20 Brunswick Street, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, ST1 1DR, UK
::Phone::
  (01782) 269012
::Comments::
  
Formerly known as Lotus Records, these guys have specialized catalogs
for Canterbury, Zeuhl (Magma), and other stuff.

I've only ordered from them once, but I got both Paga CDs as well
as the 2CD version of Magma Live.  These three discs are nearly
impossible to get in the US, but I called Mike Lloyd's and got
them with no problem. Shipping did take about a month, but it
was well worth the wait. When you call, ask for Andy or Clarey,
as they handle the mail order division.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Mirage
::Address::
  612 Southmead Road, Filton, Bristol, BS12 7RF, UK
::Comments::
  Last I checked (several years ago) this was a one man operation,
  Martin K Reed.  He has a decent variety of British indie electronic
  musicians like Ian Boddy, Steve Frost and Mark Shreeve.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Musea
::Address::
  68 La Tinchotte, 57117 Retonfey, France
::Fax::
  (33) 87366473
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::WWW::
  <URL:http://www.id-net.fr/musea/>
::Comments::
  
Musea is a label with over 200 productions to its name including
many prestigious groups such as Minimum Vital, Atoll, and Pulsar. The
Musea catalog has a thousand titles including independent productions
from all over the world as well as imports from Japan, Brazil,
Korea, Italy, Germany, Poland, etc.. The label also publishes the
French-language Musea magazine.

Musea take credit card orders by email and aim for a 3 to 5 day turn
around. They have an excellent Web catalogue and ordering service.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  The Music Specialists
::Address::
  50 Raffles Place, #03-011 Shell Tower, Singapore 0104
::Phone::
  (065) 734-3775
::Fax::
  (065) 224-2785
::Comments::
  Carries a lot of live and bootleg CDs. Similar to the CD Connection
  in Germany, but supposedly more reliable per one friend who has
  used both. They'll send lists for $2.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Normal Mail Order
::Address::
  Bonner Talweg 276, 5300 Bonn 1, Germany
::Phone::
  228-22 06 55
::Fax::
  228-22 16 56
::Comments::
  Excellent selection of bands on tiny labels. Lots of really obscure
  punk, Australian, New Zealand and German bands.  They are very
  prompt at answering fax enquiries and will probably mail you a
  catalogue for free. They are also capable of locating out of date
  obscure vinyl and CD's.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Ohrwaschl
::Address::
  Papenheim str. 11, 80335, Munich, Germany
::Fax::
  089 5504112
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::WWW::
  <URL:http://www.c-lab.de/~rms/ff/ohrwaschl.html>
::Comments::
  
The famous Krautrock label's mail order outlet. They specialise in,
surprisingly, Krautrock, 70s progressive and world-music.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Orage Rock Progressif Enr.
::Address::
  C.P. 58058 Québec, Québec, Canada, G2B 5H4
::Phone::
  (418) 847-1116
::Comments::
  This is a very convenient source for Canadian prog. rock fans,
  with reasonable prices (in Canadian dollars).

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Pan y Musica
::Address::
  C/ Ros de Olano 12, 08012, Barcelona, Spain
::Phone::
  (93) 237-6568
::Fax::
  (93) 415-0219
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::WWW::
  <URL:http://www.thesaurus.net/panymusica/>
::Comments::
  Pan Y Musica's online mail order site.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Pastel Blue
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::WWW::
  <URL:http://www.demon.co.uk/pastel/>
::Comments::
  
Here is some of the blurb you get when you send the body "help"
to the above email adress: Pastel Blue is a mail order CD and
video shop, located in England.  At the last count we had 35000
CDs, 3500 CD singles, 4200 videos and 900 games in our database,
which you can search by email using commands described below. We
accept orders by email and payment by cash, cheque or credit card,
and can export to any country.

Large collection (incl. > 100.000 american import cd's), good
prices and shipping rates, reliable, but quite slow (they don't have
anything in stock). On their list there's p.e. Anglagard, Brand X,
Happy the Man, Gryphon, National Health, Yezda Urfa, ...

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Philippe Collignon
::Address::
  6 Avenue Du Site, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
::Phone::
  2-7725680 (10am ro 10pm)
::Fax::
  2-7711222
::Comments::
  
This guy is one to best places to head for that really rare LP you
can't find (especially European). He's expensive, certainly, but has
the largest stock (and catalogues) of rare and wonderful vinyl I've
come across.  Covers all rock from the mid-60s on, but with a slight
emphasis on psych and prog. He also does catalogues of CD issues.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Store::
  Piccadilly Records
::Address::
  5/7 Brown Street, Manchester, M2 1DA, UK
::Phone::
  +44 (0161) 839 8008
::Comments::
  Not actually visited this outlet but I have had things bought for
  me from there. Said things were quite obscure and had hand-written
  stickers giving details of genre and links to other artists which
  impressed.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Possible Productions
::Address::
  Avenue Sana Fe 3044-1, 1425 Capital Federal, Buenos Aires,
  Argentina
::Fax::
  010-54-1-8211372
::Comments::
  "Official" outlet for King Crimson/Robert Fripp projects in South
  America.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Recrec Laden+Mail
::Address::
  Rotwandstr 64, 8004, Zurich, Switzerland
::Phone::
  +41-1 - 291 46 60
::Fax::
  +41-1 - 291 46 62
::Comments::
  The RecRec label has lots of quirky European releases like
  Fred Frith, Bruniferd, Nimal and so on. They run a respectable
  shop front and, from the same address, a mail order service.
  Obviously they have all the RecRec releases in stock, but they have
  a generally good selection.  Their catalogue is not free. It's
  a paperback about an inch thick and full of amusing opinions.
  They are probably only amusing if you can read German.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  RéR Megacorp
::Address::
  79 Beulah Road, Thornton Heath, Surrey, CR7 8JG, UK
::Phone::
  +44 (0181) 771 1063
::Fax::
  +44 (0181) 771 3138
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::Comments::
  Label/business set up by central RIO musician/composer Chris
  Cutler in 1978 that's still going strong. The RéR label covers a
  huge diversity of musics from all over the world. What the label
  covers and what the mail-order side stocks is decided purely on
  Cutler's perception of musical merit. It therefore doesn't "carry
  labels" as such. Issues a catalogue with frequent updates. There
  is a lot of obscure and fantastic music in the RéR catalogue
  ... highly recommended that you take a look at it.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Sonic Bilby
::Address::
  PO Box 884, Mt Waverly, Vic, 3149, Australia
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::WWW::
  <URL:http://www.pcmicro.com.au/~Sonique/sb>
::Comments::
  
My mail order business was formed with the aim of promoting
and distributing international progressive, psychedelic, and
similar recording artists in Australia for the lowest possible
price. Undertake promotion, distribution etc. of music in addition
to maintaining a mail order catalogue.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Stanislav Hapla
::Address::
  Jungmannova 7/692, 736 01 Havirov-Mesto, Czechoslovakia
::Comments::
  A possible source for East European CD releases.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Super Records M.B. s.r.l
::Address::
  Centro Commerciale S. Maria Novella, Firenze, 50123, Italy
::Phone::
  +39-55-2349526 / +39-55-287592
::Fax::
  +39-55-2349527
::Email::
  [email-masked]@rarevinyl.net
::WWW::
  <URL:http://www.superecords.com><URL:http://www.rarevinyl.net>
::Comments::
  Alternative music store: from vinyl rarities to new releases,
  collector's item, records auction sales, import/export from all
  over the world. Credit card on line payment. Progressive rock,
  Canterbury rock, Beat  Psychedelia, Prog-metal, Kraut rock, Hard
  Heavy, Death  Black, NWOBHM,... All the vinyl rarities that you
  think you'd lost, on line sale.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Taxim Records
::Address::
  Postfach 10 11 43, 2900 Bremen 1, Germany
::Comments::
  I originally got referred to Taxim when I wrote directly to Line
  Records looking for a distributor for their product. I've ordered
  from them a bunch of times and have always had very good luck (they
  accept major credit cards as well, which simplifies things a lot
  when ordering from overseas). They apparently no longer carry the
  entire Line label and as such I've had difficulty finding things in
  their catalog that I couldn't find from a domestic distributor, so
  I haven't ordered anything in a year or so. Prices are very good.
  Catalog is a glossy mag, all in german.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Terrapin Trucking Company
::Address::
  2 Park Road, Crouch End, London, N8 8TD, UK
::Phone::
  (0181) 342-8851
::Fax::
  (0181) 341-5174
::Comments::
  I regularly fax orders to them using my Mastercard - if they
  don't have it they don't charge for it!  Shipping to America costs
  about $3.00 for the first disc and $1.50 for each subsequent one.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Ultima Thule
::Address::
  1 Conduit Street, Leicester, LE2 0JN, UK
::Phone::
  +44 (0116) 2854545
::Fax::
  +44 (0116) 2854555
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::Comments::
  Ultima Thule is a store and mailorder business affiliated with
  Audion Magazine and thus run by two extremely knowledgeable
  gentlemen. Large A4 catalogue every year with a great deal in
  it. They send out update lists regularly to active customers. You
  need to subscribe (not expensive) to these if you are not an
  active customer. A superb selection, covering the whole range of
  progressive and new music. A little expensive compared with other
  UK outlets. They take just about any form of payment and offer
  various mail schemes including listen-and-return if you do not like
  it and all of this internationally. If you live in the UK, next day
  delivery is the norm. I often order by phone in the afternoon and
  receive goods the next morning. Very highly recommended indeed.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Vinyl-Virus
::Address::
  P.O. Box 1164, 7526 U-Weiher, Germany
::Comments::
  Supposedly a source of bootlegs - I saw the address in a post
  to rec.music.gdead where someone was asking for any more info on
  this place.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::Name::
  Voiceprint
::Address::
  P.O. Box 5, Derwentside, County Durham, UK, DH9 7HR
::Phone::
  (0191) 512 1103
::Email::
  [email-masked]
::Comments::
  Mainly new Canterbury-related releases. Including stuff by Daevid
  Allen, Robert Wyatt, Jakko Jakszyk and Rick Biddulph.

               ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Frederic Dannen quote at the top of this file is from a very
interesting book about the music industry and the "Powers broker and
fast money inside the music business" and the greed and ambition and
occasional mob and other illegal connections of the industry. It's
pretty ugly stuff and worth reading for a better understanding of
why the artist is often the victim of the industry. - Malcolm Humes
--------------------
This FAQ is maintained by Phil Kime([email-masked]). Comments,
questions, and criticisms are positively always welcome.  This text
was taken in part from the previous versions of this FAQ, which
were maintained by Scott McMahan, and Mike Borella. The FAQs were
brought into being originally through the sterling efforts of Malcolm
Humes. Many thanks go to all of these gentlemen for their excellent
work.--------------------