Subject: Information Research FAQ v.2.6 (Part 6/9)
From: [email-masked] (David Novak)
Date: 12 May 1998 00:00:00 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.research,comp.infosystems.www.announce,comp.answers,sci.answers,news.answers

Archive-name: internet/info-research-faq/part6
Posting-Frequency: monthly
Last-modified: May 12 1998
URL: http://cn.net.au
Copyright: (c) 1998 David Novak
Maintainer: David Novak <[email-masked]> 

                        Information Research FAQ     (Part 6/9)

    This section of the FAQ contains a collection of heavily researched
    articles. These articles are also available from the Spire Project
    (including http://cn.net.au), & from our free shareware (see
    http://cn.net.au/tools/infokey.html). You may wish, for convenience, to
    reach for the webpage version of this information.

    If you have suggestions, leads or corrections, please do inform us:
    [email-masked]  Note also, the disclaimer statement on Part 1 of this
    FAQ.

                                Contents 

    		----- Part 6 -----
     24. Information Research: Software & IT Research
     25. Information Research: Researching Research
     26. Information Research: Unexpected Research Venues
     27. Information Research: Research as a Discipline
     28. Information Research: Research Tools & Software
     29. Information Research: Advanced Research Training

    ___________________________________________________

 24.       Information Research: Software and IT Research
               From the cn.net.au research site
               http://cn.net.au/articles/computer.html

      These research tools only pertain to the field of computer studies.
    Other, more general sources like article or book searches may be
    useful, but these are specific to computing.

     Software Archives  
    [1] One of the fixtures of computer studies are the large archives of
    computer software. In some cases, like this link to CPAN[1] for Perl
    resources, these archives are integral to distributing advances in
    programming.
    [2] SimTel Software Archives archives Windows, Dos, and other software.
    Here is the central site[3].
    [4] Winsite is a large archive for windows software. See their Winsite
    mirror list[5], but don't overlook their search function[6] on the
    winsite website.
    [7] Tucows[7], is a small but precise archive of Internet software.

     ShareWare Lists and Search Engines 
    [8] If you nee a more detailed search for software, start with the
    Virtual Software Library (VSL), available through shareware.com, with
    its power search option[8].
    An alternative source of competitive information would be the
    Association of Shareware Professionals[9] (ASP), is strong in organizing
    and reporting on Shareware. There is a directory of shareware through
    the Simtel archive (mirrored everywhere, but here in Tas.)
    Look for the directory:   asp804.zip [Oct 30 20:00] 382k
    and the update: aspdat71.zip [Jan 30 13:32]     61k
    [10] The ASP also has the definitive listing of shareware archives and
    sites (with a short description).

     RFC and FYI Archive  
    In Australia, the Request for Comment (RFC) and For Your Information
    (FYI) documents are also located at plaza.aarnet. These documents have
    some kind of central role in the development of new standards in the
    computing field.
    FYI and RFC text archive in Australia, but look for the FYI index (20k)
    and the RFC index (300k) first.

     Archie  
    Archie is one of the oldest search engines constructed. Essentially it
    is a database of ftp addresses to files found in ftp archives. Now Unix
    allows for long file names, and you may locate information about a topic
    without necessarily knowing a specific file name. In either case, asking
    Archie will provide you with a list of sites with files (or directories)
    matching your search word. A word of advice, keep the words small, think
    of alternative spelling, and try to have the name of an existing program
    first.
    [11][12]
    New Simple Query[11]
    New Advanced Query[12]
    Also consider the emailing your request to [email-masked]
    Archie records are also slightly different depending on which archie
    service you visit. An international list of Archies[13] is provided by
    NEXOR.

     Commercial Databases  

    [14] Newsbytes[15] is a newswire solely on computer topics, computer,
    telecom and online world. Their websites includes a trial search engine
    and a description[16].
    [17] Computer Select[17] - commercial database of text from computer
    magazines.
    [18] Computer Database Plus[18], by Ziff-Davis is another large computer
    database.
    [19] Several commercial databases focus solely on software programs,
    including ISIS software database and Softbase. These[19] are the
    relevant commercial database descriptions.

     WWPing Form Page  
    [20] This webpage holds a script for dns or http pings.

     Further Resources  
    Computer newsgroups
    Guidebooks
    Link to FAQ archive
    Computer Books
    CD-rom directory - CD-roms in print...

    Closing Note
    For the longest time, the computer industry has led the way in effective
    use of the Internet. It is perhaps the one true way to predict the
    changes the Internet will have on the rest of our society. Many of these
    online resources are more current, authoritative and useful than
    alternative formats, with the possible exception of computer books. Good
    luck.

    This post comes from The cn.net.au research site,
    a site devoted to information research.
    Advice welcome : email [email-masked]
    (c)Copyright Community Networking. (http://cn.net.au)

 --- footnotes for the above article ---
    [1]  http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/CPAN/
    [2]  http://micros.hensa.ac.uk/+misc/simtel.net/mirrors.html
    [3]  http://www.simtel.net/simtel.net/
    [4]  http://www.winsite.com
    [5]  http://www.winsite.com/about/mirrors.html
    [6]  http://www.winsite.com/search/
    [7]  http://www.tucows.com
    [8]  http://shareware.com/code/engine/Power/
    [9]  http://www.asp-shareware.org/
    [10]  http://www.asp-shareware.org/searchsites.html
    [11]  http://archie.au/archie.html
    [12]  http://archie.au/archie-adv.html
    [13]  http://web.nexor.co.uk/archie.html
    [14]  http://nbnn.com
    [15]  http://www.nbnn.com
    [16]  http://nbnn.com/html_p/f_what.html
    [17]  http://cn.net.au/cgi-bin/cd_find.pl?search=computer+select
    [18]  http://cn.net.au/cgi-bin/cd_find.pl?search=computer+plus
    [19]  http://cn.net.au/cgi-bin/cd_find.pl?search=software
    [20]  http://js.stir.ac.uk/jsbin/jsii
    ___________________________________________________

 25.       Information Research: Researching Research
               From the cn.net.au research site
               http://cn.net.au/articles/research.html

    Finding the research of others can be difficult. Basically, this is a
    large scale research project making use of Patents, newspaper searches,
    article searches, specialty research databases and a collection of
    sources on the internet.

 Governmental Research Databases 
    Collation and management of research databases appears to be a
    government project - and many place considerable information freely on
    the Internet.
    [1] Cordis is a free online database of European Research Developments
    by the EC.
    [2] US Federally-Funded Research website.
    [3] Australia's CSIRO Research Programs and Project[3] on the web. Early
    days yet, but they are investigating a more comprehensive service.
    [4] Current Research Information System (CRIS) : Current Research in
    Agriculture sponsored by US, Canada and Czech government is free on the
    Internet. This is an important and occassionally commercial database of
    research infromation.
    [5] The US Small Business Innovation Research Awards[6] (SBIR) is a US
    government investment program for innovative business research, and is
    searchable online[5].
    [2] US Funded Research Projects[2] is a page which links to  NSF - The
    National Science Foundation, the  USDA - The United States Department of
    Agriculture, MRC - The Medical Research Council, UK, the SBIR - Small
    Business Innovation Research, and the NIH - The National Institutes of
    Health.
    [10] The US Department of Energy[7] (DOE) publishes a database of energy
    related research[10] free on the Internet.

 University Research 
    While all universities publish some information about their research
    capability on the Internet, the real value is kept for their annual
    report. Archives of state annual reports are available at State
    Libraries.

    A more professional approach would be to locate a directory of research
    institutions and search for one with an area of expertise matching your
    interest.
    The Research Centers and Services Directory is a directory of 26,000+
    Research Centres Internationally. Available on Dialog for ~ 50cents/min
    + ~$1.20/record, but also found at many large libraries. Unfortunately,
    this directory is a self-assessment of research capability and not
    specific current research descriptions.

    Actually there are four directories, Research Centers Directory,
    Research Services Directory, Government Research Directory (all US &
    Canada) and the International Research Centers Directory (world but not
    US & Canada).

 Commercial Resources 

    National Databases of Research exist for many countries including JICST
    in Japan, and another for Germany.
    [8] The Italian National Research Council Database has a webpage
    online[8].
    The Gale Directory of Databases will help you take the next step.
    For a sample of the databases available, here is a list of Australian
    Commercial Research Databases:
    Australian Rural Research in Progress, a Commercial Database by CSIRO,
    Australia.
    CSIRO Index, 70,000+ citations to publications from CSIRO-sponsored
    projects  - bibliographic and a long standing database. Available on
    Ozline
    The Australian Education Index is an annual book of citations with some
    abstracts on published and unpublished work in education - Australia
    wide since 1978. Approx. 4000 new records/year, thus incomplete. By ACER
    (Australian Council for Educational Research)
    The Australian Energy Research in Progress database is a directory and
    fulltext description  of R&D in energy and demo projects. 1986 to 1992 
    on Ozline.

    Closing Note
    Completely apart from the search of specific research resources, we have
    the patent search, the news search, and the article search. These
    searches may often be easier and will illuminate research not found in
    the above resources. Try the very-large news databases in particular for
    their very wide coverage. Also be sure to search the free patent
    databases if only because they are quick and free.

    This post comes from The cn.net.au research site,
    a site devoted to information research.
    Advice welcome : email [email-masked]
    (c)Copyright Community Networking. (http://cn.net.au)

 --- footnotes for the above article ---
    [1]  http://www.cordis.lu/
    [2]  http://medoc.gdb.org/best/fed-fund.html
    [3]  http://www.csiro.au/csiro/csirores.htm
    [4]  http://cristel.nal.usda.gov:8080/
    [5]  http://cos.gdb.org/best/fedfund/sbir/sbir.form.html
    [6]  http://cos.gdb.org/best/fedfund/sbir/sbir-intro.html
    [7]  http://www.doe.gov/
    [8]  http://www.area.fi.cnr.it/cnr.htm
    ___________________________________________________

 26.       Information Research: Unexpected Research Venues
               From the cn.net.au research site
               http://cn.net.au/articles/meta.html

      There are many places where information resides. The common venues
    are covered by other articles, but there are a collection of more
    unexpected venues we can not list directly. This article will guide
    you. The twin keys to unlock this door are imagination and experience.

    Imagination: If you can envision a resource, most likely it does exist.
    I can imagine a CD-rom with all the phone numbers across Australia. Such
    a CD-rom exists. I envision a documentary film makers would become quite
    expert in the subject being filmed. Would there be some kind of database
    or directory of documentary films? Probably. Try to imagine if someone
    else would take the effort to create a resource.

    Experience: The defining skill of information brokers are an awareness
    of existing resources. This said, many resources for focused interests
    are poorly publicized. While there are guides and resource lists for any
    topic, one of the best resources are other experts and specialist
    librarians.

     Standard Directories  
    The vast number of directories which exist make it impractical to list
    them. Instead a researcher should rely on their experience and
    imagination to decide if a directory should exist. Most are published as
    books, a few as commercial databases, very few as webpages on the
    Internet.
    Every city has Telephone directories and Yellow Pages (even though
    Istanbul's latest is five years old!).
    [1] Most universities maintain academic staff directories with many on
    the Internet. Many countries have Government Directories, listing
    government agencies and departments, or prominent staff. Some government
    information is online (see our Government Resources[2] article).
    [3] Especially in the last few years, a vast collection of directories
    have emerged, including:
    Lloyds Shipping Register
    Radio Airtime Sales
    National Directory of Multicultural Research
    [4] Certain directories stand out as uniquely valuable and perhaps not
    immediately obvious.
    The Who's Who series of directories such as who's who of Business in
    Australia
    Kompass Series of Directories (more information in Import and Export
    Statistics[5])
    Australian Exports by Austrade (more information in Import and Export
    Statistics[6])

    Lastly, there is a Directory of Australian Directories published by
    Thorpe. No doubt similar directories exist in other countries.

    [7]

     Public Assistance Services  
    The next great resource is the public service. Many services offer the
    public assistance in gathering information. Associations and Government
    are prominent sponsors, but sometimes others are involved. Here are a
    few local examples.
    [3] The US Information Service (USIS) can help you retrieve information
    about the US. Their resources are quite impressive, but I shall have to
    inquire more as to their role.
    [8][8] Here in Western Australia, InfoLink is a Government and Community
    Information Database - advice with addresses and directions to sources
    of information. You can call and ask for information about what
    government agency/ies could answer your question, or what community
    groups operate in your field. One of those very valuable ways to find
    experts and to begin a search - now on the web.
    SBDC - Manufacturing Find Service. In an effort to promote 'buy Western
    Australia' I think the SBDC has created a database of manufactured goods
    here in Western Australia. If you need a  product and would consider
    buying Western Australian, give this a go. I don't know much  about this
    yet - just that it does exist. Be sure to ask if there is a charge
    involved.
    Business License Centre in Western Australia is a nice state government
    service - want to know anything about licenses and work restrictions -
    call or visit this service by the SBDC. You get a large pack of data
    about super, licenses... They will also do this by phone and post you
    the results. A really well designed service.

    Expert Advice
    Experts can offer firsthand knowledgeable experience in a personal and
    factual manner. They can also be a pain in the butt. There is a whole
    sphere of study in how to interview an expert, championed by the
    newspaper reporter (who often does little else), but the basics are not
    hard to understand.

    1) Locate someone who is deeply involved in an issue.
    2) Try to interest them in discussing their views
    3) Ask a few pertinent questions, but mostly just summarize their words
    and look interested.

    Finding experts is not so very difficult. In a pinch, I would look for a
    relevant association, government departments, academic staff or book
    author. In each case, you merely need to interest them in coffee and get
    a highly informed description of their experience. Be aware that all
    experts are potentially biased, but most often invaluable.

    Experts are also brilliant sources for finding additional sources of
    information: try to take out your research to date and quickly describe
    where you have been. The expert is unlikely to learn of a new source
    (though they hope to), but will certainly end up recommending some
    statistical source you had not considered. (One reason to keep experts
    for late in the research process.) Sometimes you must go to people who
    have only experience with the people in the field, rather than people
    with first-hand experience. I am thinking of reporters, business experts
    and advisors. This is fine if you intend to follow the leads suggested,
    but somehow unprofessional if used as a resource itself

     Compound Resources  
    Specialty Libraries are a brilliant resource for two reasons. Firstly,
    many of the unique resources reside here, but secondly the specialty
    librarians are experts in resources for their area. Many of these
    libraries do not invite public access, but will be almost universally
    open to you.
    Directory of Special Libraries in Australia by ALIA lists 1400
    specialist libraries. Other countries will most certainly have similar
    directories.
    Secondly, there are a collection of mixed information directories
    emerging. Directories which list associations, directories, books,
    research centers, museum collections and government departments all
    together.

    Croner's A-Z of [UK] Business Information Sources and the Aslib
    Directory of Information Sources in the United Kingdom are prominent
    examples. These directories appear to be less than definitive, but the
    ASLIB Directory (the larger of the two at 1500+ pages) is certainly
    something to consider if you live in the UK. As an example, Aslib, under
    the subject "Egypt" lists the British Museum, the Egypt Exploration
    Society, the Tutankhamun Exhibition, and the York College of Further &
    Higher Education. Aslib provides really good contact details for these
    sources.

    Conclusion
    If you are good, and I mean real good, unique resources will naturally
    spring to mind. The rest of us should consider 1) past experience, 2)
    imagination and 3) expert assistance. Books on competitive research make
    a big effort on gathering information from within your organization
    (talk to your sales staff - install a TQM system - etc...) partly
    because other people will encountered research resources you have not
    considered. Some truly bizarre examples spring to mind, like going
    through the competitors trash, or measuring the wear on the railroad
    tracks to estimate the volume of traffic. As researchers, we should
    always fear the answers to all our questions are waiting, somewhere.

    This post comes from The cn.net.au research site,
    a site devoted to information research.
    Advice welcome : email [email-masked]
    (c)Copyright Community Networking. (http://cn.net.au)

 --- footnotes for the above article ---
    [1]  http://cn.net.au/articles/books.html
    [2]  http://cn.net.au/articles/gov.html
    [3]  http://cn.net.au/articles/books.html
    [4]  http://cn.net.au/articles/books.html
    [5]  http://cn.net.au/articles/imports.html
    [6]  http://cn.net.au/articles/imports.html
    [7]  http://cn.net.au/articles/books.html
    [8]  http://www.liswa.wa.gov.au/infodb.html
    ___________________________________________________

 27.       Information Research: Research as a Discipline
               From the cn.net.au research site
               http://cn.net.au/articles/disciple.html

    In our effort to consolidate information for effective research, we
    would like to venture into the many sources useful primarily to
    information brokers. As a professional group, researchers have diverse
    skills and needs. Constantly working with information, in a competitive
    market, professional information seekers are often starved for high
    quality information about research techniques, skills and sources. Keep
    in mind, these sources tend to be far too technical for occasional
    researchers.

    Special Interest Groups 
    Researchers are particularly in need of contact with other researchers.
    Associations and discussion groups are important for this.
    [1] Information Professionals Network[1] (IPN) hosts InfoPro-l,  the
    mailing list for active information brokers to subscribe to.
    [2] The next best is Buslib-l (business librarians list), which has a
    bit too much traffic for most of us. The Buslib archive is becoming
    available: Best of Buslib-l[2] and searching instructions[3] (not
    downloadable in bulk).
    [4] The Association of Independent Information Professionals (AIIP[4]),
    and associations like the Society of Competitive Intelligence
    Professionals (SCIP[5]) also bring members together.

    Events and Functions 
    Considerable amount of contact and exchange of information occurs at the
    conferences. Certainly this is a fine time to see the commercial
    organizations display their wares.
    The Journal, Online & CDROM Review has a very good directory of up and
    coming events for this industry.
    The bi-annual pacific conference Information Online & Ondisc '99 will be
    held at the Sydney Convention and Exhibition  Centre,  Darling  Harbour,
    Australia, Jan 19-21 1999.

    Sources of Research Training 
    Secrets of the Super Searchers by Reva Basch. Unfortunately a 1993 book,
    but unique as a look into the field of information brokers. Published by
    Eight Bit Books. (dewey 025.524 BAS)
    The Information Broker's Handbook by Sue Rugge and Alfred Glossbrenner, 
    McGraw-Hill. Third Edition (1997) This is a must-read for the business
    of information research.
    [6] Online is a good bi-monthly magazine for information brokers. (dewey
    025.04). They have a website[6] with samples.
    [7] There are other interesting periodicals. This page[7] has a list and
    description of some, including Information Today, Information World
    Review, and Searcher. The contents pages for Information Today, a
    monthly, newsy, review of the information industry, are here[8] and
    Information World Report has a website here[9].

     Background on Library Sciences and Internet.  
    When you are searching on the Internet, the words Library Science,
    Information Research and Information Brokers are useful. Recently there
    have been a number of emerging websites, though none are comparable to
    the published sources just listed.
    [10][11] LIBRES[10]: Library and Information Science Research Electronic
    Journal is a bi-annual scholarly journal.  Information Research[11] is a
    little more frequent.
    [12] The Universities at Albany Libraries have a really good
    "Information and Library Science[12]" webpage.
    [13] BUBL[14] keeps a good collection of Library and Information Science
    Periodicals, though most of them are not linked to online periodicals,
    but rather to contents pages or abstracts.
    [15] The Research Webring[15] lists certain organizations involved in
    providing research assistance on the Internet. The Internet Public
    Library[16] is worth your attention.
    [17][18] There are three further reports you may find interesting.
    Preserving Digital Information[17]: Report of the Task force on
    Archiving of Digital Information, Librarians and Publishers in the
    Scholarly Information Process[18]: Transformation in the Electronic Age,
    and the far more recent TheEmerging Digital Economy [19]by the US
    Department of Commerce. Recommended Reading.
    Another sources is LISA, the Library and Information Science Abstracts,
    a useful commercial database to Library sources. Library and Research
    topics are also covered by other databases, including Business
    Periodicals OnDisc.

    Research directories 
    [20] This site keeps a fine World List of Departments and Schools of
    Information Studies...
    We are also building our own list here on the Spire Project. See the
    article: Information Industry Directory[21].
    [22] 1995/96 Burwell World Directory of Information Brokers, provides
    contact details and descriptions to 1700+ organizations worldwide.
    Edited by Helen P. Burwell and Carolyn N. Hill and available for about
    US$100, they have a promotional webpage online[22].
    [1]
    The Information Professionals Network[1] (IPN) membership list is
    searchable once you are a member. Their mailing list is dominated by
    requests for help in certain regions.
    There are also large directories like the Information Industry Directory
    (Gale Research) which attempt to list every information business in the
    world. These directories are useful if you have a name, but less so if
    you are looking for products.
    [15]
    ECHO has a database called I'M Guide which is really a directory of the
    European Information Industry. Yes, this is a telnet session, and can be
    painfully slow, but in time this will migrate to the web. Connect, type
    'ECHO' as the password at the first prompt, then 1 for english, the 2
    for the I'M GUIDE (database).

    Searching is accomplished using their Common Command Language (CCL).
    Start with 'Find ' then 'Show' to retrieve your results. For more, read
    the pdf manual on CCL[17].

    This post comes from The cn.net.au research site,
    a site devoted to information research.
    Advice welcome : email [email-masked]
    (c)Copyright Community Networking. (http://cn.net.au)

 --- footnotes for the above article ---
    [1]  http://www.ipn.net/
    [2]  http://www.montague.com/review/buslibbest.html
    [3]  http://www.montague.com/review/howto.html
    [4]  http://www.aiip.org/
    [5]  http://www.scip.org/
    [6]  http://www.onlineinc.com/onlinemag
    [7]  http://www.infotoday.com/catalog/period.htm
    [8]  http://www.infotoday.com/it/itnew.htm
    [9]  http://www.iwr.vnu.co.uk
    [10]  http://aztec.lib.utk.edu/libres/
    [11]  http://www.shef.ac.uk/~is/lecturer/ircont.html
    [12]  http://www.albany.edu/library/virtual/infosci.html
    [13]  http://bubl.ac.uk/journals/lis/
    [14]  http://bubl.ac.uk/
    [15]  http://webring.org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=researchwebring;list
    [16]  http://www.ipl.org/
    [17]  http://www.rlg.org/ArchTF/
    [18]  http://arl.cni.org/clr/Frontmatter.html
    [19]  http://www.ecommerce.gov/emerging.htm
    [20]  http://www.shef.ac.uk/~is/publications/worldlist/wlist1.html
    [21]  http://cn.net.au/articles/iid.html
    [22]  http://www.infotoday.com/catalog/direct.htm
    ___________________________________________________

 28.       Information Research: This page has moved
               From the cn.net.au research site
               http://cn.net.au/tools/index.html

    With the launch of The Spire Project, the information previously found
    here has been moved to the articles directory.

    You will find it here[1].

    David Novak
    [email-masked]

    This post comes from The cn.net.au research site,
    a site devoted to information research.
    Advice welcome : email [email-masked]
    (c)Copyright Community Networking. (http://cn.net.au)

 --- footnotes for the above article ---
    [1]  http://cn.net.au/articles/tools.html
    ___________________________________________________

 29.       Information Research: Research Training
               From the cn.net.au research site
               http://cn.net.au/training/index.html

    Welcome to the research training section of the Community Networking
    website. Research is a skill much like every other, and a little bit of
    practice and guidance will improve anyone's research.

    For a good introduction, start with the basic research[1] page, then
    consider downloading a copy of the Information Research FAQ[2] for a
    good bedtime read. Everyone should also read the webpage on Internet
    research[3]. The other pages may be too technical.

    For the experienced researcher, you will find the Research as a
    Discipline[4] article useful, but your should also read The Sociology of
    the Internet[25] and any of the following articles which interest you.

    Research Skills and Advice
    basic
    research[5] search
    training[6] Internet
    research[7]

    database
    searching[8] professional
    research[9]

     Further Articles 
    [3] Research as a Discipline[10] - describes sources useful primarily to
    information broker.
    [3] Sociology of Internet Development[11] - applying sociology to the
    Internet backed with past work and lengthy observation.
    [3] While not an article, The Research Webring[15] will lead you to the
    comparable projects on the Internet aiming for research guidance.

    The Information Research FAQ 
    This website is just one publication of ours. We also maintain the
    Information Research FAQ, currently 220k in size.
    [12][13] The Information Research FAQ is available as a very large text
    file[14], or select sections are present as a smaller webpage[15].

    Contents
    		----- Part 1 -----
    1. What is Information Research?[16]
    2. What does the Internet have to do with Information Research?[17]
    3. Research : Step One : Frame the Question / Visualize the Answer[18]
    4. Research : Step Two : Select the Tools[19]

    		----- Part 2 through 6 -----
    The text from the research articles are included here.

    		----- Part 7 -----
    31. More on the Internet as a research resource[20]
    32. More on the Commercial Information Sphere[21]
    33. More on the Information Service Industry[22]
    33.1[23] judging information value
    34. Emerging Trends in the information sphere[24]
    35. Education and Training in Professional Research[25]
    35.1[26] Facts 35.3[27] Guidance 35.2[28] Practice
    36. Question and Answer Section[29]
    36.1[30] How do I find information on the Internet?
    37. Acknowledgments[31]

    		----- Part 8 and 9-----
    Currently Empty

    This post comes from The cn.net.au research site,
    a site devoted to information research.
    Advice welcome : email [email-masked]
    (c)Copyright Community Networking. (http://cn.net.au)

 --- footnotes for the above article ---
    [1]  http://cn.net.au/training/basic.html
    [2]  http://cn.net.au/training/index.html#faq
    [3]  http://cn.net.au/training/net.html
    [4]  http://cn.net.au/articles/disciple.html
    [5]  http://cn.net.au/training/basic.html
    [6]  http://cn.net.au/training/search.html
    [7]  http://cn.net.au/training/net.html
    [8]  http://cn.net.au/training/database.html
    [9]  http://cn.net.au/training/prof.html
    [10]  http://cn.net.au/articles/disciple.html
    [11]  http://cn.net.au/articles/disciple.html
    [12]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html
    [13]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.txt
    [14]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.txt
    [15]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html
    [16]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html#1
    [17]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html#2
    [18]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html#3
    [19]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html#4
    [20]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html#31
    [21]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html#32
    [22]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html#33
    [23]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html#33.1
    [24]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html#34
    [25]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html#35
    [26]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html#35.1
    [27]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html#35.3
    [28]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html#35.2
    [29]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html#36
    [30]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html#36.1
    [31]  http://cn.net.au/tools/faq.html#37
    ___________________________________________________
    This document continues as Part 7/9.
    __________________________________________________
    Copyright (c) 1998 by David Novak, all rights reserved.
    This FAQ may be posted to any USENET newsgroup, on-line service,
    website, or BBS as long as it is posted unaltered in its entirety
    including this copyright statement. This FAQ may not be included in
    commercial collections or compilations without express
    permission from the author. Further permission requests please to
    [email-masked]
    -----------------------------------
    David Novak - [email-masked]