Subject: FAQ: (1/95) comp.lang.basic.visual.* General Frequently Asked Questions
From: [email-masked] (Kris Nosack)
Date: 5 Jun 1997 14:10:28 -0000
Newsgroups: comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,comp.answers,news.answers

Posted-By: auto-faq 3.1.1.2
Archive-name: visual-basic-faq/general-info

Last Revised: January 1, 1995

GENERAL INFORMATION
about Microsoft's Visual Basic 
the COMP.LANG.BASIC.VISUAL newsgroup
======================================

[[NOTES FROM THE MAINTAINER:
I was really surprised to see how long it had been since I'd revised
this FAQ. For all those needing some new material out there, my
sincerest apologies. There has been an enormous amount of change in the
make-up of the entire comp.lang.basic.visual hierarchy, and I hope you
take time to examine the new sections of this document. As always, if
you have anything to contribute to this document, please mail me at the
address shown below.]]

PREFACE:
This document is a compilation of frequently asked questions and their
answers about Visual Basic in general which have been gathered from the
comp.lang.basic.visual newsgroup. Although some efforts have been made
to find obvious errors, there is no guarantee that the information in
this document is error-free. The FAQ maintainer, or anyone else
associated with this document, assume NO liability for the content or
use of this document. If you find any errors, please report them to the
address given below.

Most FAQs (including this one) are available at the anonymous ftp
archive site "rtfm.mit.edu".  All four parts of the VB FAQ may be found
in the directory "pub/usenet/comp.lang.basic.visual".

You can also have the VB FAQs e-mailed to you by sending a message to
"[email-masked]" with ONLY the text "send
usenet/comp.lang.basic.visual/*" in the body of the message.

As the FAQ maintainers, we don't have time to explore all of the aspects
of Visual Basic.  we rely on your submissions to improve the quality and
inclusiveness of this document.  If you have found a VB hint, tip,
trick, work-around, etc., please write it up and send it to us!  Direct
any comments/suggestions/flames to one of these addresses:

Peter Millard        ([email-masked])  - General and VBDOS FAQ
Jan Steinar Haugland ([email-masked])        - VB/Win FAQ

==========================================
Table of Contents

I.    Structure of the COMP.LANG.BASIC.VISUAL Hierarchy
II.   The COMP.LANG.BASIC.VISUAL Charter:
III.  The COMP.LANG.BASIC.VISUAL.DATABASE Charter:
IV.   The COMP.LANG.BASIC.VISUAL.3RDPARTY Charter:
V.    The COMP.LANG.BASIC.VISUAL.ANNOUNCE Charter:
VI.   The COMP.LANG.BASIC.VISUAL.MISC Charter:
VII.  What is Visual Basic and Where can I get it?
VIII. What's the difference between VB/Win & VBDOS?

IX.   What are the features of the Professional vs. the Standard
      editions of the VB products?
      A. VB/Win
      B. VBDOS
X.    How does VB deal with OS/2?
XI.   What to do BEFORE you post. 
XII.  What are some good 3rd party books to learn vb?
XIII. What are some other VB resources and where can I get them?
XIV.  Where can I get good Public domain, shareware, or freeware
      software for VB?
      A. FTP
          ftp.cica.indiana.edu:/pub/pc/win3/programr/vbasic
          ftp.microsoft.com:
      B. BBS
      C. Compuserve
      D. America On-Line
XV.   Specific Question and Answer sections
      A.  VB/Win
      B.  VBDOS
X.    Appendix for FAQ POST #1

==========================================

I.    Structure of the COMP.LANG.BASIC.VISUAL Hierarchy

      The fall of 1994 brought about some drastic changes in the
      structure of the Comp.Lang.Basic.Visual Hierarchy. These changes
      were due to the creation of 4 new newsgroups and the eventual
      status change of the original group.

      The New groups divide up the discussions concerning specific
      applications of Visual Basic and types of tools used in the
      development process. The basic outline of groups is shown below:

      COMP.LANG.BASIC.VISUAL             Holding Group
        |--------- .DATABASE             Un-Moderated
        |--------- .3RDPART              Un-Moderated
        |--------- .MISC                 Un-Moderated
        |--------- .ANNOUNCE             Moderated

      The original CLBV newsgroup will eventually be phassed out as a
      discussion group and will be a hierarchy name used to contain the
      child groups. Please make a concerted effort to use the new
      groups as soon as they are available at your site. Although it
      has been quite some time since the creation, I understand that
      some sites are just now (mid-November of '94) beginning to see
      the new groups. Once the new groups "arrive" at your site, please
      refrain from posting to the actual comp.lang.basic.visual group;
      please use the new .misc group for general postings.

      The DATABASE sub-group is dedicated to the discussion of the uses
      of Visual Basic in database applications, and various database
      specific tools.

      The 3RDPARTY sub-group is dedicated to discussions and questions
      concerning add-ons to the Visual Basic environment. These add-ons
      can take the form of VBX or OCX controls, DLL Libraries or LIB
      Libraries, or development utilities which enhance the IDE. 

      The MISC sub-group replaces the current clbv newsgroup. This is
      the place for discussion not appropriate in the other un-
      moderated groups. 

      The ANNOUNCE group is a moderated group which is the appropriate
      place to post announcements concerning bug fixes (from vendors),
      new product announcements, Usenet management postings (such as
      RFD's, CFV's, and such for related groups), and other vendor
      support postings. 

II.   The COMP.LANG.BASIC.VISUAL Charter:

      COMP.LANG.BASIC.VISUAL is an unmoderated forum to share
      information about Microsoft's Visual Basic for Windows and
      MS-DOS, as well as the new "Application Basic" embedded in MS
      applications such as Word for Windows, Excel, and Access.

      Microsoft provides no Internet support channel for Visual Basic,
      so this group will let Visual Basic users get together to help
      each other, without requiring them to filter through unrelated,
      broader Windows programming issues.

III.  The COMP.LANG.BASIC.VISUAL.DATABASE Charter:
      This group will contain discussion about the various database
      programming issues using Visual Basic. Disucssions should be
      limited to topics pertaining only to database applications and
      tools. Discussions will not be limited in any way to specific
      database engines (however, the applications of the built-in JET
      engine will most like dominate).

      This will be an unmoderated group.

IV.   The COMP.LANG.BASIC.VISUAL.3RDPARTY Charter:
      The creation of a dedicated group to hold postings concerning
      various tools which add on to the basic Visual Basic product.
      These tools would include additional controls (VBX's), both
      commercial, shareware, and freeware. Discussions will also cover
      additional .DLL's and their applications in the Visual Basic
      environment. Note that discussion concerning API's should _NOT_
      be posted to this group as they are inherent to the VB base
      product. Discussions about API calls should be taken up in the
      .misc group (see below). This group would also house discussions
      on various development tools (eg SPYWORKS, etc...) and their    
      uses.

      This group will also contain questions and answers to people
      looking for various tools to accomplish specific tasks.
      Additionally, it is hoped that various commercial vendors that
      supply such tools would take part in discussions concerning their
      respective products as a forum for general tech support for those
      tools.

      This will be an unmoderated group.

V.    The COMP.LANG.BASIC.VISUAL.ANNOUNCE Charter:
      It has become apparent that an "official" information group could
      benefit all participants in the various subgroups of the 
      comp.lang.basic.visual hierarchy. Acceptable posts to this group
      would include FAQ posts, shareware announcements, other usenet
      administrative posts (like this entire discussion), etc...

      This will be a moderated group.

VI.   The COMP.LANG.BASIC.VISUAL.MISC Charter:
      The .misc group is required by Usenet guidelines, and will be a
      place for any discussions of topics which are not covered by the
      other three groups. Topics might include queries on Visual Basic
      methods, or API commands, applications of the standard set of
      controls, general use of the BASIC language, general discussion
      about programming techniques, general concepts of event-driven
      programming, etc... 

      The .misc group would basically replace the current
      comp.lang.basic.visual discussion group where all of the above
      topics (and more) are being discussed daily. The split of the
      other groups should drastically reduce the amount of volume in
      this "catch all" group.

      This will be an unmoderated group.

VII.  What is Visual Basic and Where can I get it?

      Visual Basic (often abbreviated 'VB') is a programming language
      initially developed by Microsoft to provide programmers with a
      quick and easy method of developing Windows applications.

      Visual Basic provides the programmer with an integrated
      environment where s/he can use tools to create a point and shoot
      interface and use event driven programming techniques.  A
      developer can quickly and easily create a user interface, then
      write the code to respond to specific events which occur as a
      result of user input. 

      The integrated development environment (IDE) has sophisticated
      editing and debugging tools which allow you to attach code
      quickly to the interface created for each event which is
      applicable for any type of object on the interface. 

      Currently, there are two different "flavors" of Visual Basic. The
      original language was developed for Windows (often abbreviated
      'VB/Win') and will only create apps for it. Visual Basic for DOS
      (often abbreviated 'VBDOS') came along later as the demand for
      point-and-shoot applications grew. The two flavors are similar in
      programming techniques (they both use event-driven subroutines),
      however they remain vastly different products. 

      All current versions of Visual Basic are commercial applications,
      and thus should be availible at your local computer store. You
      can also get in contact with Microsoft.

VIII. What's the difference between VB/Win & VBDOS?

      VB/Win gives you the capability of creating applications which
      run in Windows, while VBDOS gives you the ability to develop apps
      which do not need Windows to run and run in text mode using the
      extended character set to give the user the feeling of a
      graphical environment, while still remaining in a text mode. 

      VB/Win applications are compiled into a pseudo-code (p-code) file
      with an "EXE" extension.  When run, the p-code file accesses a
      run-time Dynamic Linked Library (DLL) (VBRUNx00.DLL) which
      interprets the p-code into Windows(tm) Aplication Programming
      Interface (API) instructions.  VB/Win cannot create a stand-alone
      application (i.e. an executable which does not need the
      VBRUNx00.DLL.).  Currently, applications developed using a
      particular version of VB/Win requires the same version of the
      run-time DLL.  Therefore, a VB application developed in VB/Win
      version 3.0 will only work if the run-time DLL VBRUN300.DLL is
      installed in either the WINDOWS or SYSTEM directories.

      VBDOS can create both types of applications. Those that require a
      run-time module, or those that are a stand-alone .exe file. In
      addition to being able to use the standard run-time modules,
      VBDOS Professional allows the creation of custom run-time
      modules. (A feature which VB/Win does not support.)

IX.   What are the features of the Professional vs. the Standard
      editions of the VB products?

      A. VB/Win

          Both editions (version 3.0) include all of the basic graphic
          primitives (controls) that make Windows(tm) such a nice
          Graphical User Interface (GUI) to work with; such as: text
          boxes, message boxes, drop-down menus, combo boxes, Multiple
          Document Interface, File controls, etc.  Version 3.0 added
          database capabilities by tying into the Microsoft Access
          database engine (a DLL that handles all the actual database
          file manipulation).
      
          The Professional Edition includes: more reference materials
          (manuals, Knowledge Base, Windows API information, etc.),
          more extensive database capabilities (ability to create
          databases), additional controls for serial port
          communications, masked text boxes, 3D "sculpted" controls,
          etc., Pen API support, and more!  Serious programmers and
          developers would be best served by the professional edition. 
          Most VB/Win users on the comp.lang.basic.visual newsgroup
          feel that the added features of the Professional Edition make
          it well worth the extra cost.  The Standard Edition is
          sufficient for small and fairly simple programs and "hobby"
          programmers.  Since Microsoft offers an upgrade path from the
          Standard to the Professional Edition, those who aren't sure
          they need the Professional Edition can start with the
          Standard Edition and move up when they're ready.
      
      B. VBDOS

          Both version of VBDOS load and run all existing QBasic and
          QuickBasic programs. With little or no effort, your QBasic
          and QuickBasic programs can use the compiler in Visual Basic
          for MSDOS to take advantage of optimized code generation and
          greater string capacity. The professional edition has the
          capability of loading and running Basic PDS programs designed
          for MS-DOS. 

          Both editions of VBDOS allow you to incrementally add forms,
          dialog boxes, and controls to existing applications without
          rewriting them. 

          The Professional editions of VBDOS includes 286 and 386/486
          specific code generation in its native code compiler. Also
          included is a high-speed alternate floating-point math
          library. The MOVE Overlay technology found in MS C/C++ 7.0
          allows compiled programs to be up to 16MB! Also included is
          the MS Source Profiler which allows you to fine tune your
          applications, stub files which allow you to remove run-time
          functionality your program does not use. The Professional
          edition also includes a powerful ISAM (Indexed Sequential
          Access Method) Database engine for developing database
          applications which can use database files up to 128MB.

          Here are the additional features you will find in the
          professional edition of Visual Basic for MS-DOS: 

          Feature                   Notes
          -----------------------------------------------------
          Help toolkit              create on-line help
          Setup toolkit             create distribution disks
          CodeView debugger         version 4.02
          Financial toolkit         functions from Microsoft Excel
          Present. graphics kit     make charts and graphs
          Matrix math toolkit       matrix operations
          Create custom controls    requires MS MASM
          Create custom rtms        Put your modules into RTM.
          Microsoft mouse driver    version 8.2a
          (NOTE: RTM = Runtime Module)
          
X.    How does VB deal with OS/2?

      As the positive attributes of 32 bit Operating systems become
      more well known, more and more developers are turning to either
      Microsoft's Windows NT or IBM's OS/2. Both offer preemptive
      multitasking and memory protection. Both offer the ability to run
      DOS and Windows programs thereby providing easy migration to an
      advanced operating system. 

      [I have been using OS/2 as a development OS for over a year while
      using various compilers, etc... including VBDOS Pro 1.0 and
      VB/Win Pro 3.0.  If anybody is willing to contribute items of
      note about running VB/Win and/or VBDOS under NT, and running them
      under Insignia's SOFTWindows on a Power-Mac I would add it to
      this section (hint, hint :)]

      VB/Win runs quite well under OS/2 ver 2.1. At the time of this
      writting, the "jury" is still out about running it under WARP. Be
      sure to run it under a full-screen windows session (as it
      improves performance dramatically). In addition, be sure to do
      extensive checking of your code on "real" windows before
      distributing it. This insures that all API functions, and other
      emulations (on the part of OS/2) work correctly. Some settings
      you may want to tweak are: DPMI usage should be 'enabled', not
      'auto', priority should be set to 100. Disable EMS (set to 0) and
      make sure XMS is set to an appropriate level.

      VBDOS runs very well under OS/2 ver 2.1 also. Be sure to set the
      DPMI setting to 'enabled', not 'auto' to completely take
      advantage of this type of memory usage. You may experience some
      problems with the Linker that comes with OS/2 when linking stand-
      alone applications. Use the linker that came with VB and these
      problems should disappear.

XI.   What to do BEFORE you post. 

      First, consult the manuals included with Visual Basic.  The
      manuals *generally* do a good job explaining most of the basics
      of Visual Basic.  Expect to be flamed if you post a question to
      the newsgroup that is plainly answered in the manual! 

      Second, check the Knowledge Base (KB). The Knowledge Base is a
      file that documents many of the most common problems / bugs /
      questions that the VB technical support folks at Microsoft have
      encountered. The Knowledge Base comes standard with the
      Professional Edition, but Standard Edition users can get a copy
      of the Knowledge Base via ftp (see section VII), CompuServe,
      America On-line, or your local BBS. The file *should* be named
      something like "vbkb". Currently there are 2 versions of the
      VB/Win KB available. The huge one (~4.5 Mb, compressed) contains
      utilities which provide full text search. If you have a high
      speed connection to the net this is well worth the extra download
      time. The other file is a normal WinHelp file w/out the text
      search. 

      Third, check the FAQ.  Since you are reading this document, I
      don't think much needs to be said here.  As a side note: PLEASE,
      encourage those who post frequently asked questions which are
      covered in this document to get and read the FAQ!  If we don't,
      people will just keep posting those same questions over and over. 
      Help us break this cycle of over-dependency on knowledgeable and
      kind-hearted newsgroup users.

      Forth, thoroughly test the problem you are encountering.  You are
      more apt to get some useful help if you can speak intelligently
      about the problem you are having and what you have done to try
      and fix or get around the problem.

      Finally, post to one newsgroup in the COMP.LANG.BASIC.VISUAL
      hierarchy.  Helping each other with Visual Basic problems and
      questions is a lot about what this newsgroup is about.  If you've
      done your homework, you will probably be met with helpful
      responses to your inquiry.  Since both VB/Win and VBDOS users
      read these newsgroups, please prefix the subject line of your
      post with a note that indicates which type of VB you're using
      (i.e. "Subject: [VB/Win] Problem with DoEvents", "Subject:
      [VBDOS] Question on ISAM parameters").

      When you do post to a newsgroup in the hierarchy, decide which
      group your subject matter pertains to and only post to that
      group. If you are unsure which group is the correct one, post it
      to the .misc group. DO NOT cross-post the article to all groups
      in the hierarchy, as this clearly defeats the reasons behind
      splitting the group in the first place. If you need more guidance
      as to which group is the proper one, consult the charters (see
      above sections) for general guidelines as to the contents of a
      specific newsgroup. These charters designate what topics will be
      discussed in which newsgroups. If you still aren't sure, you
      could post to the .misc group or you can fire off some e-mail to
      me (better to waste my bandwidth as opposed to the entire nets, I
      guess). 
 
XII.  What are some good 3rd party books to learn vb?

      We (the editors) have compiled a list of various books which
      cover a wide range of VB/Win subjects. Many of the books are
      personal reccommendations from various people on the net. The
      remaining books came from a keyword search of 'VISUAL' at the
      internet site BOOKS.COM. This site can be used to purchase books
      via credit card or you can use their database of books to find
      information as I have done. A complete list can be found at the
      end of this document. 

XIII. What are some other VB resources and where can I get them?

      The Knowledge Base (often abbreviated 'KB') is a file that
      documents many of the most common problems, bugs, questions,
      tips, fixes and work-arounds that the VB technical support folks
      at Microsoft have encountered.  The KB comes standard with the
      Professional Edition, but Standard Edition users can get a copy
      of the Knowledge Base via ftp (see section VIII), CompuServe,
      America On-line, or perhaps even your local BBS.  Many answers to
      common VB problems can be found in the KB.  This file is a must-
      have!

      Visual Basic Tips and Tricks is a compilation of useful VB code
      examples, a listing of the latest VB file versions and dates, and
      other useful information that isn't in the Knowledge Base.  VB
      Tips and Tricks is a Windows help file put together by Dave
      McCarter of DPM Computer Solutions.  It can be found at many
      places (including ftp.cica.indiana.edu) as "VBTIPSxx.ZIP", where
      xx is the version number (larger numbers represent newer
      versions).  It is updated on a monthly basis.

XIV.  Where can I get good Public domain, shareware, or freeware
      software for VB?

      A. FTP
      VB/windows ftp sites:
      ---------------------
      ftp.cica.indiana.edu:/pub/pc/win3/programr/vbasic
          Best/largest source for Visual Basic files, utilities,
          example programs, VBXs, etc.

      ftp.microsoft.com:
          Microsoft's anonymous ftp site.  There is a lot on this site
          so look around.  Here are some of the more useful
          directories:
          /Softlib/MSLFILES
               Get the Knowledge Base for VB here!  VBKB.EXE (929K) is
               the regular KB in windows help format. VBKB_FT.EXE
               (2,563K)is the same as VBKB.EXE but with text searching
               added.  Lot's of other good files in this directory.
          /MSDN
               Contains LOTS of Windows programming files and examples! 
               Get the index file MSDN-IDX.ZIP for a description of the
               files in this directory.  Suggestion: search the index
               file for the text "Visual Basic".
          /MSDN/VBTECH
               VB specific files.
          /DEVTOOLS/LANG/VB/PUBLIC
               Misc. VB files and updates.                          

      B. BBS
      I have received 2 requests for submission into this section from
      Sysops of VB specific BBS's. They are as follows:

      ----FROM: [email-masked]
          I [the poster, not the editor] run a public BBS in
          Bellefonte, PA, which caters to programmers and UNIX users. 
          I have a fairly large-sized BASIC file section, with some
          Visual BASIC  files uploaded from users, and culled from
          various FTP sites.  I would  certainly welcome additional
          users interested in VB.

          The BBS is called the Centre Programmers Unit BBS, and can be
          reached at  814-353-0566.  The system is up 24 hours a day, 7
          days a week, and has a  USR Dual Standard (14.4HST/V.32bis)
          online.  There is no charge for access,  but I enforce a file
          upload/download ratio.  Here's my welcome screen:

                           You are invited to call:
                                                   
                         The Centre Programmers Unit
                               Bellefonte, PA 
      
                      A gathering point for UNIX users,
                         and programmers of all types.
      
        System size: 1.5Gb                 Online: 24 hours, 7 days
      
            Modem: USR Dual Standard: 1200-14400 baud
                   MNP 1-5, v.32, v.32bis, v.42, v.42bis, HST
      
       (814) 353-0566                            Sysop: Mike Loewen
      
      MSDOS programming tools and libraries, UNIX source, GNU, X
                   Select USENET Newsgroups. Linux.

           BBS users should login as 'bbs', 8N1, no password required.
                 email: [email-masked]

      ----FROM: [email-masked] (Michael G. Goldsman)
          Atlanta Visual Basic BBS
          (404) 872-0311
          8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, Max Baud: 14400
          Access: Free
          Hours: 24
      
          This BBS is devoted to VB and nothing but VB. Conferences and
          file areas are available for a variety of VB topics. It has
          lots of shareware controls and tools to support Visual Basic
          developers. We will soon carry the VB Usenet newsgroups.

          Sysop: Andy Dean
          Voice Line: (404) 872-8728
      
      C. Compuserve
          Compuserve does have a fairly active basic forum. To acces
          this forum, type GO MSBASIC. Microsoft employees have been
          known to frequent this forum. May be useful for those last
          ditch pleas for some useful tidbit of information.

          Some Useful files in the MSBASIC forum:
          - VBBK05.ZIP:  List of books/mags dealing with VB.
          - MLIST4.ZIP:  Multi-column listbox. No 64K limit. 

          In addition, the Visual Basic Programmer's Journal (VBPJ)
          also maintains forum space on Compuserve. If anybody can
          provide brief details on these forums, I will gladly add
          them. As I have no access to Compuserve, I cannot gather that
          information at this time. 

      D. America On-Line
          America On-Line has a good selection of VB files and an
          active message area for discussing Visual Basic.

XV.   Specific Question and Answer sections

      A.  VB/Win - refer to the post titled: "comp.lang.basic.visual
          VB/Win Frequently Asked Questions".

      B.  VBDOS - refer to the post titled: "comp.lang.basic.visual
          VB/DOS Frequently Asked Questions".

X.    Appendix for FAQ POST #1
      ========================
      BOOK LIST for VB/Win
      ========================

      ---From: [email-masked] (Ian Piper)

          Here, in descending order of usefulness (in my own personal
          opinion) are the VB books I use the most:

          1. Visual Basic Programmers guide to the Windows API, by
          Daniel Appleman. ISBN1-56276-073-4. If you only want to get
          one book on VB, this is the one. It covers the ground from
          simple to advanced programming very well. 

          2. The Waite Group's VB How-To, several authors, ISBN
          1-878739-09-3. This is the ISBN number for version 1 - I
          think it's been updated by now. Lots of examples to
          demonstrate each point. This is a close second.

          3. Visual Basic Utilities, by Paul Bonner, ISBN
          1-56276-106-4. This has some excellent learning stuff in it
          and also some advanced stuff, including how to write your own
          DLLs (!) using GFA-BASIC.

          4. Fun programming with VB, several authors, ISBN
          1-56529-106-9. This uses a half-dozen or so projects to
          illustrate how various programmers designed and built apps
          using VB.

          5. Windows 3.1 programming for mere mortals, by Woody
          Leonhard, ISBN 0-201-60832-4. This covers VB and WordBasic.
          Some very neat examples.

      ---From: [email-masked] (John Quarto-vonTivadar)

          I found the following VERY useful, to the point that I don't
          even use the manuals anymore:

          6. The Visual Guide to Visual Basic for Windows, by Richard
          Mansfield, published by Ventura Press. This is a encyclopedia
          of the language itself. It supposes that you DO know how to
          program so basically (if you pardon the pun) it's a guide to
          VB's slang. I use this for referencing the grammar when i get
          a bug.

      ---From: [email-masked] (Ian Davidson)

          7. Visual Basic How-To, Robert Arnson, Daniel Rosen, Mitch
          Waite &  Jonathon Zuck: The Waite Group, 1992.  ISBN
          1-878739-09-3.  Includes  disk.  Many practical examples &
          some sample custom controls.Introduces & expands on the use
          of API's.  An excellent book suitable for Beginners thru
          Advanced - one of my most-often-used  references.

          8. Learn Programming and Visual Basic with John Socha, John
          Socha:  Sybex, 1992.  ISBN 0-7821-1057-6.  Includes disk.  A
          useful introduction for absolute beginner programmers thru
          intermediate.

      -- From Gary Cornell:
          There's a new version of my book - it's been enlarged and
          updated. It's now called the Visual Basic 3 For Windows
          Handbook.
               
              Author   : Cornell, Gary
              Title    : Visual Basic 3 For Windows Handbook
              ISBN     : 0078819318 Dewey #  : 005.10
              Publisher: Osborne McGraw Hill
              Date Pub : 01/93

      --from Wallace Wang: 72662,1711 (Compuserve)
          Here's the information you requested. Thanks for including my
          book in your listing:

          Publisher name: IDG Books Publisher 
          address: 155 Bovet Road, Suite 310
                   San Mateo, CA 94402 
          Phone number: (415) 312-0650 
          Fax number: (415) 358-1260

          Book name: Visual Basic 3 For Dummies 
          Author name: Wallace Wang 
          When released: March 1994 

          50-word description: This book takes readers, 
               step-by-step, to understanding, learning, and writing
               Visual Basic programs. Explains how to use the most
               common features of Visual Basic for creating user
               interfaces and writing BASIC code. Includes a friendly
               dose of humor and easy to read explanations, this book
               also includes suggestions for finding additional
               information about Visual Basic. Intended audience: 

          Beginners Price: $19.95
          Disk of examples: No.

      ---From Christian Wolkersdorfer
          Here are several German specific books for VB. They are from
          a database query of the ELIS-database Erlangen / Nuernberg /
          Germany.
      
Autor            : Craig, John C.
Titel            : The Microsoft Visual Basic workshop
Schlagwort       : VisualBASIC
Impressum        : Redmond Microsoft Press 1991
ISBN/ISSN        : ISBN 1-55615-386-4
Kollationsvermerk: XIV, 302 S. : graph. Darst. 1 Diskette
zus. Verf.       : John Clark Craig
--------
Autor            : Frater, Harald
                   Paulissen, Dirk
Titel            : Das grosse Buch zu Multimedia
Auflage          : 1. Aufl.
Schlagwort       : MPC
Impressum        : Duesseldorf Data-Becker 1994
ISBN/ISSN        : ISBN 3-8158-1105-8
Kollationsvermerk: 699 S. : Ill., graph. Darst. 1 CD-ROM
zus. Verf.       : Harald Frater ; Dirk Paulissen
zus. Titel       : Multimedia total ; alles rund um den MPC
                   Level 1 und 2, Multimedia-Praesentationen
                   planen und realisieren, Erklaerungen,
                   Anleitungen, Beispiele in Wort, Bild und Ton,
                   Multimedia-Programmierung mit Visual Basic
--------
Autor            : Frater, Harald; Schueller, Markus
Titel            : Das grosse Windows-3-Buch
Auflage          : 5., erw. Aufl.
Schlagwort       : Windows 3.0
Impressum        : Duesseldorf Data-Becker 1991
ISBN/ISSN        : ISBN 3-89011-287-0
Kollationsvermerk: 978 S. Diskette 3 1/2
zus. Verf.       : Frater ; Schueller
zus. Titel       : [Multitasking, Prioritaetssteuerung,
                   Windows-Optimierung, Windows-Programmierung
                   mit Visual Basic, Windows im Netzwerk]
--------
Autor            : Heiligensetzer, Stefan; Monadjemi, Peter
Titel            : Visual Basic
Schlagwort       : VisualBASIC
Impressum        : Haar bei Muenchen Markt & Technik Verl.
1992
ISBN/ISSN        : ISBN 3-87791-025-4
Kollationsvermerk: 746 S. : graph. Darst. 2 Disketten
zus. Verf.       : Stefan Heiligensetzer ; Peter Monadjemi
zus. Titel       : das Kompendium ; Einfuehrung, Arbeitsbuch, 
                   Nachschlagewerk
--------
Autor            : Kofler, Michael
Titel            : Windows-Programmierung mit Visual Basic
Auflage          : 1. Aufl.
Schlagwort       : Visual BASIC
Impressum        : Bonn ; Muenchen u.a. Addison-Wesley 1992
ISBN/ISSN        : ISBN 3-89319-389-8
Kollationsvermerk: 557 S. : Ill., graph. Darst. 1 Disk 5,25
zus. Verf.       : Michael Kofler
--------
Autor            : Maslo, Andreas
Titel            : Das Vieweg-Buch zu Visual Basic
Schlagwort       : VisualBASIC
Impressum        : Braunschweig Vieweg 1992
ISBN/ISSN        : ISBN 3-528-05203-1
Kollationsvermerk: 349 S. : graph. Darst. 1 Diskette
zus. Verf.       : Andreas Maslo
zus. Titel       : eine umfassende Anleitung zur
                   Programmentwicklung unter Windows
--------
Autor            : Maslo, Andreas
Titel            : Das Vieweg-Buch zu Visual Basic 2.0 fuer
Windows
Schlagwort       : VisualBASIC
Impressum        : Braunschweig u.a. Vieweg 1993
ISBN/ISSN        : ISBN 3-528-05320-8
Kollationsvermerk: 591 S. : graph. Darst. 1 Diskette
zus. Verf.       : Andreas Maslo
zus. Titel       : eine umfassende Anleitung zur komfortablen 
                   Entwicklung von Windows-Programmen
--------
Autor            : Maslo, Pia; Dittrich, Stefan
Titel            : Das grosse Buch zu Visual Basic 3.0 fuer
Windows
Auflage          : 1. Aufl.
Schlagwort       : VisualBASIC 3.0
Impressum        : Duesseldorf Becker 1993
ISBN/ISSN        : ISBN 3-89011-636-1
Kollationsvermerk: 900 S. : graph. Darst. 1 Diskette 3.5
zus. Verf.       : Pia Maslo ; Stefan Dittrich
--------
Autor            : Wiens, Thomas
Titel            : Visual Basic fuer Windows 2.0
Auflage          : 1. Aufl.
Schlagwort       : VisualBASIC 2.0 / Windows
Impressum        : Vaterstetten bei Muenchen IWT-Verl. 1993
ISBN/ISSN        : ISBN 3-88322-449-9
Kollationsvermerk: 331 S. : Ill.
zus. Verf.       : Thomas Wiens
zus. Titel       : [Windows-Applikationen schnell und einfach
                   programmiert] Clever programmieren
--------
Autor            : Wollschlaeger, Peter
Titel            : Visual Basic
Schlagwort       : VisualBASIC
Impressum        : Haar bei Muenchen Markt-und-Technik-Verl.
1992
ISBN/ISSN        : ISBN 3-87791-246-X
Kollationsvermerk: 294 S. : graph. Darst. 1 Beil.
zus. Verf.       : Peter Wollschlaeger
zus. Titel       : erfolgreich starten - sicher nutzen
Workshop         : PC

      ---From EDITOR: 
          The following books were those I found using a keyword
          search of 'VISUAL' at the internet site BOOKS.COM. This
          site can be used to purchase books via credit card or
          you can use their database of books to find information
          as I have done. 

          Author   : Nelson, Ross
          Title    : The Microsoft VB for Windows Primer
          ISBN     : 1556154771          Dewey #  : 005.10
          Publisher: Microsoft Pr        Date Pub : 11/92
      
          Author   : Orvis, William
          Title    : Do It Yourself Visual Basic for Windows
          ISBN     : 0672302594          Dewey #  : 005.10
          Publisher: Sams          Date Pub : 11/92

          Author   : Craig, John Clark
          Title    : Microsoft VB Workshop/Book and Disk
          ISBN     : 1556153864          Dewey #  :   5.26
          Publisher: Microsoft Pr        Date Pub : 09/91
      
          Author   : Murray, William H./Pappas, Chris H.
          Title    : Using VB : Writing Windows Apps
          ISBN     : 0201581450          Dewey #  :   5.43
          Publisher: Addison Wesley Pub. Co.
          Date Pub : 01/92

      ========================
      BOOK LIST for VBDOS
      ========================

          Author   : Hergert, Douglas A.
          Title    : Visual Basic Programming With DOS
          Applications
                   / Book and Disk
          ISBN     : 0553370995          Dewey #  : 005.00
          Publisher: Bantam Doubleday Dell Pub
          Date Pub : 07/92

-- 
Kris Nosack      [email-masked]

>>>--->  Be strange, but not a stranger!  <---<<<