Subject: Sybase FAQ: 19/19 - Additional Info
From: [email-masked] (David Owen)
Date: 20 Apr 2004 13:45:18 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.databases.sybase,comp.answers,news.answers

Archive-name: databases/sybase-faq/part19
URL: http://www.isug.com/Sybase_FAQ
Version: 1.7
Maintainer: David Owen
Last-modified: 2003/03/02
Posting-Frequency: posted every 3rd month
   A how-to-find-the-FAQ article is posted on the intervening months.

                            Additional Information                             
                                                                               
next prev ASE FAQ

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power Sites

  * Rob Verschoor's site (http://www.sypron.nl) is packed with useful
    information about Sybase ASE and replication, as well as a couple of
    quick-reference guides on steroids for both.  Grab the ASE one from http://
    www.sypron.nl/ase_qref.html and the replication one from http://
    www.sypron.nl/rs_qref.html.
  * Eb Barlow keeps about the most complete set of references to freeware/
    public domain/shareware available for Sybase.  Check out his site at http:/
    /www.edbarlow.com.

Useful Documentation

  * The unauthorized documentation of DBCC by Al Huntley - http://user.icx.net/
    ~huntley/dbccinfo.htm
  * More DBCC's by KaleidaTech Associates, Inc. - http://www.kaleidatech.com/
    dbcc1.htm
  * Anthony Mandic's Installing Sybase on Solaris - http://www.mbay.net/
    ~mpeppler/sos/sos.html
  * John Knox has a good paper on the contents of the interfaces file at http:/
    /www.outlands.demon.co.uk

Sybase Resources

  * Pacific Rim Network Systems Inc Sybase Resource Links http://www.alaska.net
    /~pacrim/sybase.html
  * SQL Server and Rep Server on NT  http://www.xs4all.nl/~reinoud/
    ntsqlrep.html
  * Todd Boss has a host of useful stuff at http://www.bossconsulting.com/
    sybase_dba/
  * I am not sure who this site belongs to, but it contains lots of good stuff.
    http://www.rocket99.com/sybase/index.html

Books, Magazines and Articles

  * Sybase Documentation http://sybooks.sybase.com
  * Intro to Sybase Architecture - http://www2.dgsys.com/~dcasug/sybintro/
    intro.html
  * SQL Forum http://www.sqlforum.com (sadly the technical papers that were
    there are gone).
  * Connecting Sybase to the Web - http://www.dbmsmag.com/9711i14.html

Freeware/Shareware

  * sybinit4ever: Sybase ASE 11.5 ASCII-only server creation tool - http://
    www.sypron.nl/si4evr.html
  * Sybase Freeware and Shareware at Ed Barlow's site http://www.edbarlow.com
  * Thierry Antinolfi has a very good site packed full of useful tools and
    information at http://www.dbadevil.com
  * DBD::Sybase http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler
  * DBI/DBD:Sybase on Linux http://www.whirlycott.com/phil/dbdsybase/
  * Sybase Scheme Extensions - http://www.cs.indiana.edu/scheme-repository/
    ext.html
  * SQSH - (SQL SHell for Unix) by Scott Gray http://www.sqsh.org
  * ISUG's Freeware Collection http://www.isug.com/ISUG2/links.html
  * Sybase to HTML Converter http://www.algonet.se/~bergkarl/lasse/
    scripts_eng.html
  * Tool to access Sybase server with line editing and history recall http://
    www.mcs.net/~ivank/sybtool.html
  * Sybase connectivity libraries http://www.sybase.com/products/samples/
  * Manish I Shah's Smart Sybase Editor http://asse.sourceforge.net.
  * A web to Sybase interface http://archive.eso.org/wdb/html/
  * Al Huntley has some nifty tools as well as the DBCC list http://
    user.icx.net/~huntley/dbccinfo.htm
  * John Knox has a nifty tli2ip and ip2tli converter at http://
    www.outlands.demon.co.uk
  * A very useful project to build a free set of Open Client libraries is at 
    http://www.freetds.org
  * De Clarke has some very useful SybTcl stuff, start looking at http://
    www.ucolick.org/cgi-bin/Tcl/database.cgi.   One of the really nice apps is 
    Sybase PerfMeter.
  * An ODBC based Windows isql type client can be found at http://
    www.indus-soft.com/winsql/   (there is a free "lite" version and a
    comercial version).
  * Imran Hussain has written a number of Sybase utilities, they can be found
    at http://www.imranweb.com/freesoft.
  * Brian Ceccarelli's BrainTools can be accessed from http://
    www.talusmusic.com/BrainTools.
  * Ginola Pascal's Like Sybase Central can be grabbed from http://
    perso.wanadoo.fr/laserquest/linux.

User Groups

  * International Sybase User Group - http://www.isug.com
  * Indiana Sybase User's Group http://www.cs.bsu.edu/homepages/sam/isug
  * Ontario Sybase User Group (OSUG) Website - http://www.interlog.com/~osug
  * DCASUG, DC Area Sybase User Group - http://www2.dgsys.com/~dcasug
  * New Zealand Sybase User Group - http://www.nzsug.org.nz/
  * Wisconsin Sybase User Group - http://www.reveregroup.com/wisug/
  * Tampa Bay Sybase User Group - http://www.soaringeagleltd.com/LUG.htm

Related FAQs

  * ASE on Linux FAQ - http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler/Linux-ASE-FAQ.html
  * Sybperl FAQ - http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler/Sybperl/sybperl-faq.html
  * Tuning Sybase System 11 for NetWare on Compaq -
    http://www.compaq.com/support/techpubs/whitepapers/140a0896.html
  * SQR FAQ/User Group - http://www.sqrug.com/
  * EAServer FAQ - http://www.ehandelnorden.se/sybase/faq.html/
  * BusinessObjects FAQ - http://www.upenn.edu/computing/da/bo/busob-faq.html

Academia

  * Yale Centre for Medical Informatics http://paella.med.yale.edu/topics/
    database.html
  * NC State University http://www.acs.ncsu.edu:80/Sybase
  * Simon Fraser University http://www.cs.sfu.ca/CourseCentral/Software/Sybase
  * University of California http://www-act.ucsd.edu/webad/sybase.html
  * Rutgers http://paul.rutgers.edu/sybase.html

Commercial Links

The following sites are placed here without any endorsement by the FAQ
maintainer.

  * Ed Barlow's site of sites http://www.tiac.net/users/sqltech/links.htm#
    commercial_links

The mother ship may be reached at http://www.sybase.com

next prev ASE FAQ

                                  Miscellany                                   

    12.1    What can Sybase IQ do for me?
    12.2    Net-review of Sybase books
    12.3    email lists
    12.4    Finding Information at Sybase
   
# prev ASE FAQ

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12.1: Sybase IQ

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(This deserves to be a section all on its own, as per ASE and ASA. However, I
know absolutely nothing about it. If anyone would like to help, I would be very
grateful for some more information. My expectations are not high though.)

Sybase IQ isn't meant as just an indexing scheme, per se. It is meant as a
means of providing a low cost data warehousing solution for unplanned queries.

By the way, Sybase IQ does not use bitmapped indexes, it uses bitwise indexes,
which are quite different. [Anyone care to add a paragraph explaining the
difference?  Ed.]

In data warehousing MIS generally does not know what the queries are. That also
means that the end users often don't know what the queries are. Not knowing
what the queries are turning end users loose on a 500GB operational database to
perform huge queries could prove to be unacceptable (it may bring the system
down a crawl). So, many customers are resorting to separating their operational
databases (OLTP) and data warehousing databases. By providing this separation
the operational database can continue about its business and the data warehouse
users can issue blind queries without affecting the operational systems.
Realize that operational systems may handle anywhere from hundreds to a few
thousand users and, more likely than not, require data that is highly accurate.
However, data warehouse users often don't require up to the second information
and can often wait several hours, 24 hours or even days for the most current
snapshot and generally don't require updates to be made to the data.

So, Sybase IQ can be updated a few times a day, once a day or a few times a
week. Realize that Sybase IQ is strictly a data warehousing solution. It is not
meant for OLTP systems.

Sybase IQ can also sit on top of Sybase SQL Server:

    [end user]
         |
         |
    [Sybase IQ]
    [Sybase SQL Server]

What happens in this environment is that a data warehouse user can connect to
Sybase IQ. Sybase IQ will then take care of processing the query or forwarding
the query to SQL Server if it determines that the access paths in SQL Server
are faster. An example where SQL Server will be faster than Sybase IQ in
queries is when SQL Server can perform query coverate with the indexes built in
SQL Server.

The obvious question is: why not index every column in SQL Server? Because it
would be prohibitive to update any of the data. Hence, Sybase IQ, where all the
columns are making use of the bitwise index scheme. By the way, you can choose
which columns will be part of an IQ implementation. So, you may choose to have
only 30% of your columns as part of your Sybase IQ implementation. Again, I
can't stress enough that Sybase IQ is strictly for data warehousing solutions,
not OLTP solutions.

Back to top

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12.2: Net Book Review

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  * An Introduction to Database Systems
  * Sybase
  * Sybase Architecture and Administration
  * Developing Sybase Applications
  * Sybase Developer's Guide
  * Sybase DBA Survival Guide
  * Guide to SQL Server
  * Client/Server Development with Sybase
  * Physical Database Design for Sybase SQL Server
  * Sybase Performance Tuning
  * Sybase Replication Server, An Administrators Guide
  * Optimising Transact-SQL
  * Tree and Graph Processing in SQL
  * Transact SQL
  * Sybase ASE, Database Consistency Checking
  * Configuring & Tuning Databases on the Solaris Platform

An Introduction to Database Systems

ISBN: 0-201-54329-X Published by Addison-Wesley. Volume I and II.

This book is rightly regarded by many as the Bible of Database Management
Systems. Not a book that goes into detailed specifics of any particular
implementation (although it draws many examples from DB2), this book covers the
practical theory that underlies all relational systems as well as DBMS in
general. It is written in an easy to read, approachable style, and gives plenty
of practical examples.

Covering all aspects, from straight forward issues (such as what is a
relational database), to practical procedures (all forms of normalization are
covered, and explained). SQL is briefly covered, in just the right amount of
detail. The book includes detailed discussions of issues such as recovery,
concurrency, security and integrity, and extensions to the original relational
model. Current issues are dealt with in detail, such as client/server systems
and the Object Oriented model(s). Literally hundreds of references are included
for further reading.

If you want a book to refer to when your curiosity gets the better of you, or
when a user needs a better understanding of some important database concept,
this is it. It strikes the right balance between theory and practice, and
should be found on every database administrators book shelf.

Sybase - McGoveran and Date

ISBN: 0-201-55710-X Published by Addison-Wesley. 450 pages.

I think that once, not too long ago, this used to be the only book on Sybase
available. Now it seems to be totally out of print! It covered versions of
Sybase SQL server up to 4.8. It covered a number of aspects of Sybase,
including APT.

Sybase Architecture and Administration - Kirkwood

ISBN: 0-13-100330-5 Published by Ellis Horwood. 404 pages.

This is a good book covering Sybase systems up to and including System 10. It
deals to a good depth the architecture and how most of the functions such as
the optimiser work. It explains in a readable style how devices work, and how
indexes are stored and manipulated.

Developing Sybase Applications - Worden

ISBN: 0-672-30700-6 Published by SAMS. ??? pages. (Inc CD.)

This books seems very similar to number 4 to me and so I have not bought it. I
have browsed through several times in the book shop, and decided that his other
book covers a good deal of this. There are chapters on Visual Basic and
Powerbuilder.

Sybase Developer's Guide - Worden

ISBN: 0-672-30467-8 Published by SAMS. 698 pages. (Inc disk.)

This is a big book that does not, in my opinion, cover very much. In fact the
disk that is included contains DBATools, and that seems to sum up the first 50%
of the book. There is a fair amount of coverage of the general architecture and
how to install Sybase. Transact SQL, cursors and stored procedures get a fair
covering, as does using C/C++ with DB-Library. (I can find no mention of
CT-Library.) Unfortunately quite a lot of the book covers general issues which
are not covered in sufficient depth to be useful, and just seem to be there to
give the book bulk. Maybe as a developer's guide, his other book would be a
better buy. This would probably be most useful to a small company implementing
a Sybase database.

Sybase DBA Survival Guide - Jeff Garbus, David Solomon, Brian Tretter

ISBN: 0-672-30651-4 Published by SAMS. 506 pages. (Inc disk.)

This book is good, and is a great help in a crisis. It includes lots of useful
ideas and strategies for most (if not all) of the DBA tasks. It covers Sybase
SQL Server on all platforms. It does not specifically cover any of the
Microsoft versions, and certainly not version 6. It does cover System 10. It is
very good at explaining the output from things like the DBCC commands. There is
also a good section on what to look for in the errorlog. If you are a DBA and
want to buy just one book, I would recommend this one since it covers just
about everything you will need to know. This book is filled with little hints,
tips and warnings which are very useful. They have certainly saved my bacon on
a number of occasions, and have even made me look a real star more than once.

Guide to SQL Server - Aloke Nath

ISBN: 0-201-62631-4 Published by Addison-Wesley. 567 pages.

This book is solely about MS SQL Server, covering 4.2 for OS/2 and SQL Server
NT. It is not bad, but does seem to regurgitate a lot from the Sybase [sic]
manuals. Its coverage is fairly broad dealing with Transact SQL on the one hand
through to client configuration on the other. It does cover the aspects of MS
Sqlserver that are different from Sybase, (dbcc perfmon for instance) but it
does not flag any as such. Probably a good buy if you only have MS Sqlserver
and never intend looking at Sybase.

Client/Server Development with Sybase - Alex Berson and George Anderson,

ISBN: 0-07-005203-4 Published by McGraw-Hill. 743 pages.

I have used this book as a reference when system manuals where not available.
It is much more useful on how thing work and what approach to use rather than
syntax.

The breadth of topics pleased me - all the right jargon is mentioned. The
introduction mentions CORBA and DCE. Sybase RPC is compared to UNIX RPCs.
Middle ware products are discussed. Talks with our sales rep. about the OMNI
and NetGateway product where greatly assisted by using the diagrams in the Open
Server and Gateways chapter.

Like any text, it is dated (as it is printed). The Netgateway diagram does not
show a TCP/IP interface to MVS. However, the information provided is not really
diminished. This goes back to the fact that this is a How Things Work and How
to Use Things book, not a compilation of details on a single version.

Physical Database Design for Sybase SQL - Rob Gillette, Dean Meunch, Jean
Tabaka

ISBN: 0-13-161523-8 Published by Prentice-Hall. 225 pages.

Supposedly the first in a series from Sybase Professional Services, espousing
the Sybase Development Framework or SDF (tm). I've seen no more books, and have
never heard any more about SDF. This book is a reasonable attempt to guide
developers through the process of turning a logical database design into a
physical Sybase implementation.

Topics include:

  * Defining Tables and Columns
  * Defining Keys
  * Identifying Critical Transactions
  * Adding Redundant Columns
  * Adding Derived Columns
  * Collapsing Tables
  * Splitting Tables
  * Handling Supertypes and Subtypes
  * Duplicating Parts of Tables
  * Adding Tables for derived Data
  * Handling Vector Data
  * Generating Sequence Numbers
  * Specifying Indexes
  * Maintaining Row Uniqueness
  * Handling Domain Restrictions
  * Handling Referential Integrity
  * Maintaining Derived and Redundant data
  * Handling Complex Integrity Constraints
  * Controlling Access to Data
  * Managing Object Sizes
  * Recommending Object Placement
  * Required Inputs to Physical DB Design
  * Naming Guidelines

Covers System 10. Lots of good practical hints and guidelines on database
design. In the absence of any competition - a definite recommendation for
newcomers to Sybase database design.

Sybase Performance Tuning - Shaibal Roy & Marc B. Sugiyama

ISBN 0-13-442997-4 Published by Prentice Hall (http://www.prenhall.com). 622
pages.

Covers the topics:

  * Tuning for performance
  * Hardware and system software
  * Sybase product and feature overview
  * SQL Server - form and structure
  * SQL Server - methods and features
  * Physical database design
  * Application development
  * Monitoring SQL Server
  * Instrumenting SQL Code
  * Transaction processing performance
  * Query processing performance
  * Batch processing performance
  * Advanced topics - I/O subsystems, named caches and buffer pools and other
    enhancements
  * Also a load of extra configuration details.

A pleased customer on the above book:

    Just a quick note to let you know of a very good book on Performance Tuning
    that isn't mentioned in the Sybase FAQ. I bought it a little while ago and
    has quickly become invaluable. It's by two pretty gifted Sybase Engineers
    in the SQL Server Performance Team and covers loads of things up to and
    including System 11. It deserves to become as big as the bible :)
   
    This I believe is the Holy Grail of Sybase books that a lot of people have
    been looking for - an exaggerated claim perhaps - but a damn fine book.
   
Sybase Replication Server - An Administrators Guide - John Kirkwood and Garry
Arkle

ISBN 0-9537155-0-7 Published by Kirkwood Associates Ltd

This is a very readable introduction and guide to Sybase replication.  Having
just installed and configured my first repserver site, this book proved very
useful.   Rather than give a whole break down of the contents, the book is
featured on their website http://www.pagelink.demon.co.uk/ where a full
breakdown of the contents etc can be obtained.  This is one of the few books on
replication and I can thoroughly recommend it to new users and people with a
fair amount of replication experience.  I cannot say whether or not it would be
useful to people with a lot of replication experience since I don't know anyone
of that ilk who has read it.

Optimising Transact-SQL

SQL Forum Press; ISBN: 0964981203

This book is definitely not for the beginner. It covers what the author
describes as characteristic functions. These are functions that allow you to a
lot of data manipulation with a single pass of table. Whether you like them or
not is completely a matter of taste. Read the reviews on Amazon.com to see the
truth in that statement. The book pre-dates the inclusion of the CASE statement
into most SQL dialects, including T-SQL, and it is certainly true that you can
use the case statement to do a lot of what charactersitic functions can do.
However, table pivoting is definitely an exception and there are probably
others. Personally I like the book since it shows a completely different way of
thinking about problems and their solution.

Possibly tricky to get hold of.

Tree and Graph Processing in SQL

SQL Forum Press; ISBN: ???

The only thing I have on this is the following:

The best work I've ever read on the subject of Tree and Graph processing in SQL
is strangely entitled: "Tree and Graph Processing in SQL" by Dr. David
Rozenshtein et al.

Paul Horan [TeamSybase]

There are no reviews on Amazon at this time, so I cannot even send you there.

Possibly tricky to get hold of.

Transact SQL Programming

ISBN 1-56592-401-0 Published by O'Reilly

This book covers both the Sybase and Microsoft dialects of T-SQL. There is a
very clear side-by-side comparison of the two sets of features. There is also
an excellent description of all of the Microsoft features. I find the same is
not so true about the Sybase parts. The actual book is up to nornal O'Reilly
standards and is very readable.

Sybase ASE, Database Consistency Checking

ISBN 0-9537155-1-5 Published by Kirkwood Associates Ltd

This is John Kirkwood's latest offering. The title tells all as far as subject
matter is concerned. An excellent offering, very readable. Covers a lot of the
undocumented dbcc's plus lots of other good stuff. I would have to say a
definite must for all DBAs. Obviously not a book for developers, unless they
are also part time DBAs. However, if you wanted to get a better understanding
of how Sybase internal storeage works, this covers a lot of that.

At the time of writing the book was available from Amazon.co.uk but not
amazon.com. I am not sure if this is likely to change or not. You can always
get it from his own site, http://www.pagelink.demon.co.uk/.

Configuring & Tuning Databases on the Solaris Platform

ISBN: 0-13-083417-3 Published by Sun Microsystems Press. 502 pages.

An excellent book that slices and dices from both OS and database perspectives.
Oracle, Sybase (ASE and a bit of IQ-M), Informix XPS, and DB2 are covered. The
core subject is covered in a drill-down fashion and includes details between
various versions (including Oracle 9i, ASE 12.5, and Solaris 2.8) The author
also covers database architectures, application workloads, capacity planning,
benchmarking (including the various TPC flavors), RAID (including Sun Volume
Manager and Veritas), performance metrics, and JAVA. Even for the non-SUN
environments this book may be quite useful.

Back to top

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12.3: email lists

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                                              email lists                                                                                               
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|              |             |                                                    |                |                                                                                                   |
|--------------+-------------+----------------------------------------------------+----------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|     Name     |    Type     |                    Description                     |   Emails/Day   |                                         How to subscribe                                          |
|--------------+-------------+----------------------------------------------------+----------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|              |             |                                                    |                | Send mail to [email-masked]                                                 |
| sqsh-users   | YahooGroups | Bugs/issues/complaints about sqsh - see Q9.12.     |      < 1       |                                                                                                   |
|              |             |                                                    |                | Goto http://www.yahoogroups.com for more details.                                                 |
|--------------+-------------+----------------------------------------------------+----------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|              |             |                                                    |                | Send email to [email-masked]                                                |
| sybase-dba   | YahooGroups | Discussion of administration of Sybase databases   |      < 1       |                                                                                                   |
|              |             |                                                    |                | Goto http://www.yahoogroups.com for more details.                                                 |
|--------------+-------------+----------------------------------------------------+----------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|              |             |                                                    |                | Send email to [email-masked]                                                          |
|              |             |                                                    |                |                                                                                                   |
| SYBASE-L     | Listserv    | Discussion of SYBASE Products, Platforms & Usage   |   ~ 10 - 20    | with a subject of                                                                                 |
|              |             |                                                    |                |                                                                                                   |
|              |             |                                                    |                | SUBSCRIBE SYBASE-L your name                                                                      |
|--------------+-------------+----------------------------------------------------+----------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|              |             | Exactly the same list as above, but through Yahoo. |                |                                                                                                   |
|              |             |                                                    |                |                                                                                                   |
|              |             | One of the nice features of having the group       |                |                                                                                                   |
| SYBASE-L     | YahooGroups | mirrored at Yahoo is that it makes trawling the    |   ~ 10 - 20    | Send email to [email-masked]                                                  |
|              |             | archives very easy. Goto the website, there are    |                |                                                                                                   |
|              |             | enough links to it already on this page, feed      |                |                                                                                                   |
|              |             | 'sybase-l' into the search box, select the correct |                |                                                                                                   |
|              |             | group and read.                                    |                |                                                                                                   |
|--------------+-------------+----------------------------------------------------+----------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|              |             |                                                    |                | Send email to [email-masked] with a subject of                                            |
| Sybperl      | Listserv    | Discussion of things Perl and Sybase               |      < 1       |                                                                                                   |
|              |             |                                                    |                | SUBSCRIBE SYBPERL-L [email-masked]                                                            |
|--------------+-------------+----------------------------------------------------+----------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|              |             |                                                    |                | Subscribe by going to                                                                             |
| ase-linux    | Majordomo   | Specific discussion of Sybase on Linux             |     1 - 5      |                                                                                                   |
|              |             |                                                    |                | http://www.isug.com/ISUG2/ase_linux_form.html                                                     |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Back to top

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12.4: Finding Information at Sybase

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sybase has now gone completely Portal or is that Postal?  The front desk is
most definitely www.sybase.com, which leads to a very polished site.  A more
useful thing to do is to sign up at the site for your own particular
perspective.  You can do this by going to my.sybase.com, where you can
configure your account to only show you those parts of the system that you are
interested or are relevant to you.  The links below give you a couple of faster
pointers to some specific sites.

Sybase Web Sites

Caveat: Sybase has implemented a portal. Quite a number of the old links that
were/are in the FAQ now nolonger work. The following is tried and tested as of
today (20th September 2001) but could well become out-of-date. Let's hope not!

Here's a list of internet web sites at Sybase:

Sybase corporate (search, browse)
    This is the start of the portal.  From here you can get everywhere.  The
    following links simply allow for a more direct route to a few places.
Sybase Technical Support Web site (gateway, meta-search, browse)
    Gateway to all support information at Sybase.
Sybooks-on-the-Web (search, browse)
    Sybase Enterprise product manuals. This is the main site for product
    manuals. It's browseable and searchable.
Technical Information Library (search, browse)
    This is the place to find all of the Answerbase content plus lots more:
    FAQs, White Papers, TechNotes, Customer Letters, Certification Reports,
    Problem Reports, Release Bulletins and much more. This is a searchable and
    browseable site.
Infobases (search, browse)
    This link takes you directly to the solved cases area.  It is searchable..
Sybase's public news server (browse)
    Newsgroups for most Sybase products moderated by Sybase representatives.
    Savvy lurkers here.

Getting Sybase Software

There are a few types of software available from Sybase. These include
Enterprise Emergency Bug Fixes (EBF) which are roughly equivalent to patches,
Tools patches and upgrades, Beta software downloads,

Electronic Software Distribution (ESD)
    EBFs for Enterprise, Workplace and Tools products
Free Sybase Software Downloads
    Downloadable Sybase software found here includes demos, betas and test
    drives of Sybase software.
Sybase E-Shop
    Online ordering of Sybase software and accessories. Items ordered here will
    be ground shipped. This service is only available to customers in the US
    and Canada.

Back to top

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# prev ASE FAQ