Subject: Re: mule for nt

From: Hisashi Miyashita <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 12:46:35 +0900

Hello. This is himi.

>From Tomoji KAGATANI <[email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:29:47 +0900
Subject: Re: mule for nt

kagatani> It is not so simple...
kagatani> Mule is ported by Hisashi Miyashita <[email-masked]> on 
kagatani> JAPANESE Windows-NT. You can find the most recent version of Mule-win32
Mule for Win32 can run on Windows95(US Vesion and East Asia Version) and 
Windows NT3.1 3.5 3.51 4.0beta(US Version), too.
I have make sure of it.

Mule for Win32 can handle JAPANESE(SJIS), CHINESES(BIG5), KOREAN(KS C5601)
 Text.
But Windows must operate their correspond coding system.
Mule does not support UNICODE coding system.
So, it can't handle UNICODE.

By the way, I have tried to display Japanese on NT4.0b(US) by Mule.
But owing to font driver, Windows can't handle Shift JIS charset font.
If you install font driver and font, Mule may be able to handle
Japanese or other languages...

kagatani> BTW,I have heard Emacs-19.32(?) or leter version includes a part of Mule

This is Emacs 20, I heard.

kagatani> BUT,the current version of "UNICODE" is not good for handling
kagatani> Japanese/Chinese or other Asian characters,so another Mule will be 
kagatani> developed by other..hmm..

I don't like UNICODE for use of I18N.
This coding system is allowd to use for L10N internal code, I think.
But for this use, UNICODE is narrow.

If I get code table, I may support it on Mule.
But this code table is very large.
I don't know who make it... 

I think that the person who developed it can't understand (or neglect)
the use of letter and coding system in the local.

P.S 
For communication, ISO-2000 is suitable, I think.
UNICODE is very bad coding system for this object.
Because it can't have the complete infomation that we specify
in CJK area.
I don't know ISO10646.... Do you know where this standard gose?

from himi(Hisashi Miyashita)
[email-masked]

---

From: Tomoji KAGATANI <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:29:47 +0900

Hi, voelker,

> In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Geoff Voelker) writes:

Geoff> Can you tell me what is required to get Mule running with NT Emacs?  I
Geoff> am complelely ignorant of how Mule fits in with Emacs...is it a
Geoff> separate package that can be used with the standard version of Emacs,
Geoff> or do changes have to be made to the source to get it to work with
Geoff> Mule (or simply compiled with MULE defined)?

It is not so simple...
Mule is ported by Hisashi Miyashita <[email-masked]> on 
JAPANESE Windows-NT. You can find the most recent version of Mule-win32
(1.01) from ftp://ftp.tokyonet.ad.jp/pub/pc/misc/mule-2.3-win32/..
include source code..of course.
This version has the window-functions;make-new-frames,menu-bars,...
but these codes are different from NT Emacs-19.31,although it was
based your NT Emacs-19.28..

That binaries for i-386 may not run on English Windows95/NT..
I don't know whether it can compile on English Windows95/NT,
at least, you cannot see Japaneae text,because English Windows95/NT
don't have Japanase/Chinese TrueType fonts..

BTW,I have heard Emacs-19.32(?) or leter version includes a part of Mule
 codes in original Emacs,and XEamcs-20.0 with Mule (beta) is distributed
by xemacs.org.(http://www.xemacs.org.. search the words "MULE")
In the near feature, Emacs/XEmacs will include Mule codes completely for
I18N,I think..
BUT,the current version of "UNICODE" is not good for handling
Japanese/Chinese or other Asian characters,so another Mule will be 
developed by other..hmm..

--
Tomoji KAGATANI (JA9TXF/3) Central R&D Lab., OMRON Corporation 
Shimo-kai-inji, Nagaokakyo-City  KYOTO 617 JAPAN
E-Mail: [email-masked], [email-masked]