Subject: Ange-ftp performance

From: Jim Wilcoxson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 10:15:05 -0400

Many thanks for the Win95 port and ange-ftp stuff!  Not to knock
anybody's tools, but I noticed that the transfer rates of the special
ftp client were pretty lousy - about .5K/sec on my 28.8 connection. 
After running some tests I found that ASCII mode transfers are extremely
slow with this version of ftp.  I added:

  (defvar ange-ftp-binary-file-name-regexp ".*")

to my .emacs startup file so that all transfers are binary, and the
transfers are 6-10x faster (100 MHz 486 laptop).  This works fine for
editing text files on Unix machines.  I didn't see any mention of this
in the mail archives or FAQ.

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Timothy Regan)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 09:12:58 +0100

Hi All,

Ange-ftp has transformed my experience of Windoze 95. No more X
sessions just to run emacs. However if I get the syntax wrong, for
example

  /[email-masked]:/home/tregan/

instead of

  /[email-masked]:/home/tregan/

emacs hangs and needs to be killed via ctrl-alt-del.

Also if I realize that I've misstyped the password and hit delete,
emacs complains "non-character input event".

Any guesses whats up and how to fix them?

			Cheers,

			 Tim.