Subject: ange ftp and Microsoft Peer Web Services FTP server

From: David Biesack <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 13:52:52 -0400

Anyone try to use ange-ftp to find files on an NT (4.0 Workstation) node
running MS Peer Web Services (2.0) FTP server?  The MS ftp daemon seems
to respond incorrectly to the ange-ftp protocol when you try to find a
file:

  (find-file "/[email-masked]/D/djb/cmd.cmd")

This puts me in a dired mode file named cmd.cmd which
has the contents:

  /[email-masked]:/D/djb/cmd.cmd:
  ----------   1 owner    group             246 Aug 29 20:00 cmd.cmd

That is, the ftp server responds to the ls -al cmd.cmd/.  as if cmd.cmd
where a directory, not a file. 

The ftp log shows:

   D:\djb\cmd.cmd is a file, but ange-ftp does not know
   that so it first checks to see if it's a directory:
   ftp> 200 Type set to A.
   ftp> ls "-al /D/djb/cmd.cmd/." /tmp/ange-ftpa18852
   200 PORT command successful.
   150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.

   226 Transfer complete.

(The server is configured to return Unix directory listing.)

>From the dired window, I can open the file fine, so I can always
do a dired first, but that's kind of a pain.

Anyone have fixes for the ftp daemon (or a workaround in ange ftp?)
(I tried the War FTP Daemon 1.20b but could not get it to work
correctly for bare ftp.)

thanks

-- 
David J. Biesack                                    [email-masked]
Object Programming Technology                  (919) 677-8000 ext 7771
SAS Institute Inc. SAS Campus Drive Cary, NC 27513  http://www.sas.com