Subject: Does auto-save work with NTEmacs 19.34?

From: Levent N Atasoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 22:03:53 -0700

Autoaves issue an error message and I don't see any files in the
auto-save-directory on the NT. 

I have the following setup, which works fine in XEmacs.
Any pointers will be appreciated.

(require 'auto-save)
(setq
 auto-save-directory (expand-file-name "~/.autosave/")
 auto-save-hash-directory (expand-file-name "~/.autosave/")
 auto-save-directory-fallback auto-save-directory
 auto-save-hash-p nil
 auto-save-interval 2000 )

---

From: Milt Epstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 10:00:09 -0500 (CDT)

>  auto-save-interval 2000 )

The emacs lisp directory that comes with ntemacs (I have 19.32) has no
auto-save.el file, and I couldn't find any reference to a variable
auto-save-directory (for example).  So, it looks like this
file/package is not part of GNU Emacs/ntemacs (it's not unusual for
XEmacs and GNU Emacs to have different packages).  This doesn't mean
that you can't use this package with GNU Emacs, you just need to set
it up yourself (which may be very easy or quite difficult, depending
on what's in the package, and whether the requisite hooks/mechanisms
for using it are already in GNU Emacs or are easy to add).

Milt Epstein
Software Engineer
Central Data Corporation
[email-masked]
WWW: http://www.cd.com/
FTP: ftp.cd.com

---

From: Levent N Atasoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 10:45:04 -0700

You are right.  I should have said that I am using the external
package auto-save.el.

It works with both XEmacs and (GNU) Emacs,
however.  I also have the UNIX version of 19.34 Emacs, and the package
works fine there.  So I was hoping it would also work with NTEmacs

Maybe I'll have to live with the backups files being spread around on
the NT :-).

>>>>> On Mon, 14 Oct 1996 10:00:09 -0500 (CDT), Milt Epstein <[email-masked]> said:

 >> auto-save-interval 2000 )

 ME> The emacs lisp directory that comes with ntemacs (I have 19.32) has no
 ME> auto-save.el file, and I couldn't find any reference to a variable
 ME> auto-save-directory (for example).  So, it looks like this
 ME> file/package is not part of GNU Emacs/ntemacs (it's not unusual for
 ME> XEmacs and GNU Emacs to have different packages).  This doesn't mean
 ME> that you can't use this package with GNU Emacs, you just need to set
 ME> it up yourself (which may be very easy or quite difficult, depending
 ME> on what's in the package, and whether the requisite hooks/mechanisms
 ME> for using it are already in GNU Emacs or are easy to add).

 ME> Milt Epstein
 ME> Software Engineer
 ME> Central Data Corporation
 ME> [email-masked]
 ME> WWW: http://www.cd.com/
 ME> FTP: ftp.cd.com