Subject: Re: NTEmacs & Internet Explorer

From: Caleb Deupree <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 14:33:13 -0400

>>>>> "Robertson" == Robertson G Davenport <[email-masked]> writes:

    Robertson> How does a ddeexec key get invoked?  The
    Robertson> START/Shelex(ShellExecute) methods seem to use the file
    Robertson> associations which use the "open" command.

According to the MSKB article Q122787, 'ShellExecute() checks the
Registration Database for an entry that associates that file extension
with a particular application.  ...  If the registry specifies to use
DDE commands, ShellExecute() attempts to establish a DDE conversation
with that application using the application topic.  If an application
responds to the DDE connections, ShellExecute() sends a DDE Execute
command, as specified in the registry.  It is up to the application to
define the specifics on this conversion....  However, if attempts to
establish the conversation fail, ShellExecute() launches the
application specified in the registry and tries to establish the DDE
connection again.'

The url.dll in 40b2, in winnt40/system32, is also version 4.70.0.1117.

-- 
Caleb T. Deupree
Cincom Systems, Inc.    ;; opinions are mine and mine alone
[email-masked]
http://www.cincom.com/
http://atg.cincom.com/users/cdeupree

---

From: [email-masked] (David C Burgess)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 96 13:46:38 -0700

I don't know if this is relevant but ....

I work on Win95 and set up the following DDE link yesterday for Netscape.
(Explorer/View/Options/File Types)

URL: HyperText Transfer Protocol
Open action:
Application used to perform action: ".. path name ...\Netscape.exe " - h
DDE Message: %1
Application: Netscape
Topic: WWW_OpenURL

So it would seem:
1) netscape -h starts a copy unless one is already running .. (except this 
doesn't seem to be true from the command line)
2) The DDE topic string netscape needs is WWW_OpenURL
3) The parameter passed is the URL

Now none of this has anything to do with emacs, (or IE come to that!) but 
thought I'd share in the hope it may be some use.

Eudora mail can talk to it, and now my screensaver too 
http://www.halcyon.com/pixel/psych.htm (for getting the latest updates)

> I can't seem to get this to work.  (Win95, Netscape 3.0b6, emacs 19.33)
> 
> To those that have: are you using Peter's code to construct a temporary 
.URL
>  
> file which can then be 'started' to start the associated browser?
> 
> I'm not using that code, but just browse-url.el and the best I get is it 
> launching netscape but netscape never appearing (actually staying hidden 
- 
> only saw it with pview) and had to 'kill them' before exiting emacs.
> 
> But even if that was working, it'd start up new copies of the browser.
> Does anyone know if Netscape supports some kind of DDE interface so that 
we
>  
> could write something to talk to it?
> 
> Rob
> 
> 

Dave                        "When the program is being tested
e-mail: [email-masked]       it is too late to make design changes"

Dave                        "When the program is being tested
e-mail: [email-masked]       it is too late to make design changes"