Subject: start-process woes

From: "Michael Welsh Duggan" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Aug 1996 23:24:37 -0400

I have had some problems with start-process for quite a while.  In
order to test this, I ran the following piece of code from a
lisp-interactive buffer which which thought that the emacs-19.32/src
directory was its home (this was culled from the actual call grep.el
makes):

(BTW, the variable `grep' held the result of (get-buffer "*grep*"),
just to be pedantic (this is what grep.el places in there).)

(start-process "grep" grep "C:\\WINNTSRV\\system32\\cmd.exe" "/c"
               "grep -n start-process *.c NUL")

This comes back in the *grep* buffer with the quite reasonable
response of:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
fileio.c:416:The `call-process' and `start-process' functions use this function to\n\
process.c:1004:DEFUN ("start-process", Fstart_process, Sstart_process, 3, MANY, 0,
process.c:3770:The value takes effect when `start-process' is called.");

Process grep finished
----------------------------------------------------------------------

However, when I execute this a second time (or any subsequent times),
I get the following:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bad command or file name

Process grep finished
----------------------------------------------------------------------

What's up with this?  It makes it difficult to do any two M-x grep or
M-x diffs in a single session.

-- 
Michael Duggan
([email-masked])