Subject: ntemacs call-process hang???

From: Steve Ward <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 09:21:03 -0500 (EST)

Geoff -

I've installed and am happily using your emacs 19.34 port on several systems
running W95  and NT4.  The sole problem that I am currently exasperated by
involves an unexplained, intermittant, long delay in executing a command
in a subprocess.

Normally, typing something like "N-! echo foo" responds immediately.  However,
for mysterious reasons, sometimes (often!) the system gets into a state where
a long (15-20 second) period of apparent autistic behavior -- no disk or net
activity, no response to keyboard input -- precedes the correct behavior.
This mode persists despite system reboots, re-installation of emacs, etc.
Then, mysteriously, normal (delay-free) behavior is unexpectedly restored,
often during an editing session and with no apparent cause.

With some primitive elisp-level debugging, I've determined that the delay
is entirely with a call to call-process-region, with reasonable argument
values.  I haven't taken the trouble to look at the c code for this builtin
to understand where the time could possibly be going.

I believe I've observed this problem on NT4 as well, but can't duplicate
it at the moment.

Any ideas?  Is this a known anomoly?

Thanks for your help... and, btw, for an outstanding contribution to the
community.  The care and support you provide for ntemacs should shame
most commercial software vendors.

-Steve