Subject: Re: console NT emacs & telnet

From: Andrew Innes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 18:46:52 +0100

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996 13:33:10 -0400, Brian Tibbetts <[email-masked]> said:
>I setup Seattle Lab's NT telnet server this morning (slnet) and
>immediately got telnet serving capability.  I then happily went on to
>try emacs in console mode and got nowhere.  The client telnet locked
>up and that was that.  
>
>I just got off the phone with SL's tech support:
>
>  A)	They won't support since emacs is public domain.
>  B)	He was guessing that emacs launches a second console which
>slnet can't detect.
>
>I'm guessing that (B) is correct (as indicated by the blank window we
>have to remove when not setup properly).  Is this really the case and
>does anyone have experience with a properly working telnet solution or
>a modification to NT emacs which will allow this server to work.

You need to run emacs.exe directly, or through emacs.bat, but not using
runemacs.  A second console will only be created if you start Emacs
using runemacs.exe.

When run in console mode (-nw), Emacs changes the mode of the console
for "raw" access - I don't know whether this is supported by the telnet
server (hopefully yes, otherwise the utility of the server is greatly
reduced).

AndrewI