Subject: Re: Trying to run NT emacs via telnet

From: Andrew Innes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:08:43 GMT

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996 11:45:10 -0500, Brian Tibbetts <[email-masked]> said:
>>Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 09:24:29 -0500
>>From: Jim Corwin <[email-masked]>
>>
>>I have been trying to run NT emacs within a telnet session started from
>>a UNIX machine inside an xterm.  No matter which telnet server I've tried
>>on NT (3.51), I have not managed to get emacs to come up.  I did get it to
>>find the lisp and etc directories correctly (by making sure the registry keys
>>were correct).  I run it with "-nw", which I know works because it works in a
>>4NT window on my PC.  Is it possible to make this work?  (The UNIX system is an
>>HP - though I don't know if that matters.)
>
>I did some looking into this as have others on this list.  The basic
>story I got from one of the telnet daemon vendors (pragma systems) is
>this:
>
>NT emacs uses an alternative or shadow console which the daemon can't
>track so the emacs in console mode is started; however, the console
>isn't passed to the telnet client.  

There isn't any strong reason for Emacs to switch console buffers - if
you can recompile Emacs, try commenting out the calls to
SetConsoleActiveScreenBuffer in src/ntterm.c and changing
set_terminal_modes to set cur_screen to GetStdHandle (STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE)
instead of creating a new screen buffer.  I don't think anything else
should need to change.

If this makes Emacs work in tty mode over a telnet connection, then I'll
make this change for 19.35.

AndrewI

PS. If you can't recompile Emacs, I can send you a binary of 19.34 with
this change for you to try (if you have an ftp site I can upload to).