Subject: Re: Crypt++ on Win95.

From: "Dr Francis J. Wright" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 13:37:27 +0100

Francois-Nicola Demers wrote:
> 
> I have tried to use Crypt++ (version 2.82) as described in the HTML ...
> 
> For me it seems that all *.gz files give me always this following
> answer in the file asked to be loaded instead of the containing file. ...

I copied a set of gzipped info files from a Linux system onto my my Win
95 system, and in order to get the automatic decompression provided by
the Emacs info browser to work under NTEmacs I had to modify the info
elisp source slightly to force the process running gzip to input in
binary mode.  (I don't have the details to hand but I think that's what
I did.)  It's possible that a similar fix would solve your problem,
although I have not tried using crypt myself.

Francis

-- 

Dr Francis J. Wright  (Senior Tutor for Mathematics)
School of Mathematical Sciences   | Email:     [email-masked]
Queen Mary & Westfield College    | Telephone: +44 171-975 5453 (direct)
Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, UK  | Fax:       +44 181-981 9587 (dept.)
      World Wide Web Home Page URL: http://www.maths.qmw.ac.uk/~fjw/

---

From: [email-masked] (Francois-Nicola Demers)
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 11:23:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I have tried to use Crypt++ (version 2.82) as described in the HTML
documentation on Emacs for Win32.  In this file it is explained where
to get the good crypt++.el file for Win32.  It explains also that:

>     This package will allow you to transparently visit `.Z', `.gz',
>     `.tar', `.tar.gz' and DOS files. (However, on occasion, certain
>     `.tar.gz' files lock up emacs...don't know why, but killing
>     `gzip' frees up emacs again.)

For me it seems that all *.gz files give me always this following
answer in the file asked to be loaded instead of the containing file.

> GZIP.EXE: compressed data not read from a terminal. Use -f to force decompression.
> For help, type: GZIP.EXE -h

In fact when I use the gzip.exe in the GNU Emacs Win32 utilities
directory, it locks up emacs (as quoted above) and when I use the
Cygnus gzip it returns the above message.

I have tried lots of changes ("-f" also) in crypt++.el without
success.  Do you have an idea how to solve this problem?

Thanks.

F-Nicola Demers

........................................................................
: Francois-Nicola Demers               E-mail: [email-masked]
: Pre'sentation:                   http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~demers
........................................................................
: Universite' de Montre'al                   Equipe Re'flex
: C.P.6128, Succursale CENTRE-VILLE,         Labo. Incognito, D.I.R.O.
: Montre'al, Que'bec                         Fax: (514) 343-5834,
: CANADA, H3C 3J7                            (514) 343-6111 ext.1651.
:.......................................................................