Subject: Re: Cyrillic characters???

From: Andrew Innes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 12:22:49 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997 17:35:03 -0400, Dmitry Yaitskov <[email-masked]> said:
>Hi,
>
>I am using emacs for NT 19.34.4, and all works well except that I cannot 
>display Cyrillic characters in emacs. I am running NT 4 (sp3), and have 
>Russian input locale installed - so that I can type in Russian in many 
>Windows applications (e.g. MS Mail, MS Word, some 16-bit apps even). But if I 
>try to type something in Russian in emacs all I get is ? (question marks). 
>What am I doing wrong? I *have* tried to
>
>(standard-display-european 1)
>
>and
>
>(standard-display-8bit 128 255)
>
>to no avail - it didn't change anything. Changing fonts also does not help.

As well as doing M-x standard-display-european (which just enables chars
greater than 127 to be displayed as themselves rather than in octal
format), you also need to select a font using Cyrillic encoding.

On my system, Lucida Console supports Cyrillic encoding; if I do
S-mouse-1 to get the font selection dialog, I select Lucida Console and
change the "Script" setting from Western to Cyrillic.  This displays
Cyrillic characters for me.

The same applies for the other script settings listed on my system for
Lucida Console - Greek, Turkish, Central European and Cyrillic.
Depending on the fonts installed on your system there may be other
choices.

---

If you have selected a Cyrillic font, then the problem is presumably to
do with inputting Cyrillic characters.  To get question marks displayed
suggests either that the font being used doesn't have the correct gylphs
or that the character you typed was mapped to a real question mark.  You
can tell which it is by positioning the cursor over one of these
characters and typing `C-x =' - this will display the hex value of the
character, which is 0x3f for a real question mark.

AndrewI

---

From: Dmitry Yaitskov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 12:42:38 -0400

> character, which is 0x3f for a real question mark.

Thanks for advice. I checked and yes - the problem *is* with input. If I open 
a file that contains Cyrillic in it already, I can see it. But if I type or 
paste Cyrillic chars - I get real question marks... But why? What can I do to 
fix it? It happens even if I remove my .emacs file - what else should I 
check?

Thanks again.

--
Cheers,
 -Dima.