Subject: pre-compiled emacs

From: Amol Deshpande <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 08:43:24 -0700

hi geoff,

would it be possible to have available pre-compiled binaries without
debug info in the exe ? I compiled my own yesterday, and the exe is
about .5Mb smaller. I haven't had much luck with rebasing the in the
past, or else I suspect we could get it down to under 1.5mb.

thanks,
-amol

---

From: Amol Deshpande <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 19:54:57 -0700

geoff,
a workable solution might be to strip debug information out with
rebase.exe (since andrew  knows how the weird address-basing emacs uses
works, he might be the right person to do that).  Then you have a .dbg
file that can go into $systemroot\symbols\exe, if someone does want to
track the problem down.

If emacs crashes, the debugger will be able to break into the code at
right location. 

The nice thing about this solution is that even if the exe is optimized,
you can still use the symbols to get a pretty good idea about what
happened.  you get a good stack dump etc.

I'm glad people like tcsh. version 3.x has major improvements over the
last one (stable pipelines, parenthesized expressions etc.), but I wish
more people would try zsh too :-)

thanks,
-amol

> ----------
> From:
> [email-masked][SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 	Thursday, April 24, 1997 7:10 PM
> To: 	Amol Deshpande
> Subject: 	Re: pre-compiled emacs
> 
> Amol,
> 
> I've thought about that and I'm torn.  I like the idea of people being
> able to look at Emacs in the debugger if they are having problems, and
> send me info about it.  but it happens less and less frequently, so I
> could always ask them to download an executable with debugging info if
> that happens and have them repeat the problem.  so what I will
> probably do is remove debugging info the next time I have to recompile
> everything, but I probably won't recompile everything just to remove
> debugging info.
> 
> -geoff
> 
> p.s. from what I can tell, people like your tcsh port a lot.
> 
> Amol Deshpande writes:
> > 
> > hi geoff,
> >