Subject: file owner/modes

From: Christopher Stacy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 18:25:47 -0400

Some of the file-attributes under Win95 are faked up (eg., the owner is
user-login-name, group 123).   But I NFS mount file systems that really
would have that information.   Is there anything that can be done about that?

---

From: Andrew Innes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 12:27:07 +0100

>would have that information.   Is there anything that can be done about that?

I suspect not.

On NT, it is possible to get ownership information for files on NTFS
partitions, using the Win32 security calls (specifically
GetFileSecurity).  I would guess that a good NFS client for NT could
support these calls on NFS-mounted partitions as well, but I don't know
if that's actually possible or if any do.

However Win95 doesn't implement any of these security calls, so as far
as I know an NFS client would have to use a proprietary interface, if it
provided one at all, to get ownership information.

AndrewI