Subject: Gnus v5.3, Emacs 19.34 over modem using Windows 95

From: [email-masked] (Sridhar Boovaraghavan)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 96 8:55:30 PDT

Hi,

I have to check in with my complaints about GNUS running over a 28.8 modem
too. Andrew Innes recently posted (to the ntemacs-users list) some variables to 
look to reduce startup time.

My problem is more of the actual header fetching in a newsgroup.

Say if my newsgroup has 500 articles, the time it takes me to present me with
a summary is incredibly long (order of 15-20 minutes). And the connection
just hangs after sometime (the Modem statistics show that ~30k transmitted,
3-4M received) and nothing happens. I have to close the connection to Netcom
(my ISP) and reconnect when things start perking up again. But I have lost all
that work that GNUS did over the first 20 minutes.

First off, why do 500 headers take up ~2M (assuming some for the active file
etc.)? If one can score based on the content of an article (Is this possible?),
does GNUS parse through the article too instead of just the headers (and is
that one of reasons for the size downloaded)?

I am running Emacs v19.34 on Windows 95. (GNUS v5.3)

This is crossposted to both the ntemacs-users mailing list and the gnu.emacs.
gnus newsgroup. Since I am not subscribed to gnu.emacs.gnus, could replies
be e-mailed please?

Thanks,
Sridhar