Subject: "double hexlifying" problem in ntemacs 19.34

From: Mike Krell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 23:20:52 -0400

I'm seeing some strange behavior with hexl mode with ntemacs 19.34 under
windows 95.  (I previously was running 19.31 and saw the same problem.)  I
can enter hexl mode with no problems, but any files which are saved from
hexl-mode are corrupted in a very interesting manner.  For example, if I edit
a file containing "This is text" replacing the "T" with "U", then the
following gets written to the file when it is saved:

00000000: 3030 3030 3030 3030 3a20 3535 3638 2036  00000000: 5568 6
00000010: 3937 3320 3230 3639 2037 3332 3020 3734  973 2069 7320 74
00000020: 3635 2037 3837 3420 3265 2020 2020 2020  65 7874 2e      
00000030: 2020 2055 6869 7320 6973 2074 6578 742e     Uhis is text.
00000040: 0d0a                                     ..

It's as if in the process of "unhexlifying" the buffer contents, emacs is
actually "hexlifying" them again before writing the file.  (The text in the
right hand side of the file looks like the hexlified representation of the
modified buffer.)  This occurs whether the original file is binary or text.

Has anyone else seen this?  Any clues?

BTW, I have the following lines in my .emacs file:

(setq shell-file-name "c:\\bash\\bin\\bash.exe")
(setq shell-command-switch "-rcfile c:\\mbk\\.bashrc_env -i -c")
(setq hexlify-command "hexl -hex ")
(setq dehexlify-command "hexl -hex -de ")

     Mike                                    [email-masked]

"Many a man in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying 
the whole girl."
                                        -- Stephen Leacock