Subject: Re: compiling within 19.34

From: Mike Krell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 10:51:50 -0400

>From the quill of Geoff Voelker:

 > dunno if this is still haunting you, but it appears that stderr is being
 > redirected to some black hole.  can you check whether you get the same
 > behavior while using some other shell (like cmd.exe if you are NT)?

I fixed the problem by forcing bash to run an interactive shell.  I also
changed my bash startup files some so that now I have one which only does
environment variable settings, as so:

(setq shell-file-name "c:\\bash\\bin\\bash.exe")
(setq shell-command-switch "-rcfile c:\\mbk\\.bashrc_env -i -c")
(setq hexlify-command "hexl -hex ")
(setq dehexlify-command "hexl -hex -de ")

With these settings, I was still having a problem with hexl mode in that
saving a hexl buffer corrupted the file.  (It appeared to "hexlify" the
buffer contents _again_ before writing to the file instead of "dehexlifying"
them, if you follow me.)  I've just stumbled onto a fix for this problem
this morning: I need to quote the hexlify and dehexlify commands:
 
    (setq hexlify-command "\"hexl -hex \"")
    (setq dehexlify-command "\"hexl -hex -de \"")

I'm not sure why I need to do this, but it appears to work.

     Mike                                    [email-masked]

"Never miss a good chance to shut up." -- Scott Beach's grandfather