Subject: hexl mode fix

From: Mike Krell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 10:23:28 -0400

I now have hexl mode working under windows 95 using bash.  For those
interested, here are the details:

First, as David Rosinger pointed out, you need to use a shell other than
windows 95's default command.com; I'm using bash.  This fixes the problem of
the subprocess not being invoked, but I had an additional problem with saving
a hexl mode buffer corrupting the file.  (It appeared to "hexlify" the buffer
contents _again_ before writing to the file instead of "dehexlifying" them,
if you follow me.)  I fixed this problem by putting extra double quotes
around the settings for hexlify-command and dehexlify-command as shown below.

Here are the settings from my .emacs file:

Note that .bashrc_env is a startup file which only sets environment variables.

(setq shell-file-name "c:\\bash\\bin\\bash.exe")
(setq shell-command-switch "-rcfile c:\\mbk\\.bashrc_env -i -c")
(setq hexlify-command "\"hexl -hex \"")
(setq dehexlify-command "\"hexl -hex -de \"")

These settings also cleaned up another problem I was having in which the
ouput from a makefile was not appearing in a compilation buffer.  

Hope this helps.

     Mike                                    [email-masked]

"Start slow and taper off."  -- Walt Stack