Subject: Re: hexl mode on Win95

From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Dec 1996 08:39:27 +1300

In article <[email-masked]>, dssl <[email-masked]> writes:

> I haven't used hexl mode before, so perhaps I don't understand, but
> when I open a file in hexl mode, I get a blank screen on win95.  Is
> this the expected behavior?  Or perhaps there is a prob with the setup
> I've got?

> Any clues would be appreciated.

COMMAND.COM will not accept input on stdin.  There are a number of
alternative shells you can use.  I use CMD32.EXE which comes with the
Win32 Perl 5 distribution (doesn't work interactively, but works well
for hexl, ediff, metamail, ftp and make).  The registry setting under
Software/GNU/Emacs/SHELL controls what your default shell is, or there
are some variables you can set in your .emacs

In addition to the SHELL environment variable, I have the following in
my .emacs (the path is probably not neccesary, but I did have problems
with the default options for dehexilifying.

(setq hexlify-command "D:\\Emacs-19.34\\bin\\hexl -iso")
(setq dehexlify-command "D:\\Emacs-19.34\\bin\\hexl -de")

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
You saw the video, you heard the soundtrack, well now go buy the softdrink.
        - Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy
-------------------------------- Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> ----------