Subject: Re: (expand-file-name "~")

From: Ulrich Beyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 23:35:56 +0200

Hi,

I'm sorry but I can't find any misbehaviour in (expand-file-name "~").
I tried a little bit with some different settings of HOME but my instance
of
'expand-file-name' always does what I expect it to do.

I also spied into the code (unfortunately it's a builtin), but that is a
650 lines
monster with #ifdefs on nearly every second line and an absolutely
traumatic 
brace style :-(

It might have to do with either the variable file-name-handler-alist or the
existence of the second argument to expand-file-name. 
The former may contain a function to provide the
expand-file-name-functionallity 
instead of the native code under certain circumstances (see doc). 
The latter might be concatenated to the first argument at some places
within the code,
but could not exactly figure out under what conditions that happens, sorry
..

Another Question:
I discovered that fontifying in info mode does not work any more since
19.32.1 !
The variable info-fontify will be set to nil if you do not change the
following line
within info.el:
	(if (memq (framep (selected-frame)) '(x pc))
to
	(if (memq (framep (selected-frame)) '(x pc win32)) ;; am I wrong ?
But that alone does not lead to working fontification. Also the faces
info-node and info-xref
won't be created as in 19.31.1.
Does anyone know more about that ?

Regards
=uli=

----------