Subject: No .info suffix for info files (2)

From: Ulrich Beyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 20:23:45 +0200

TNX for so many echo, but ...

It seems that I wasn't verbose enough the first time ;)

Ok, there is a directory (/home/gnu/info) on one of our UNIX machines, that
contains lots of info files. Some of them have a suffix '.info' (eg.
bison.info) some don't.

Emacs defines a variable 'Info-suffix-list' as 

"List of file name suffixes and associated decoding commands. Each entry
should be (SUFFIX . STRING); the file is given to the command as standard
input.  If STRING is nil, no decoding is done. Because the SUFFIXes are
tried in order, the empty string should
be last in the list."

This variable on my system, as well as on the UNIX emacsen, contains a list
(".info"). This should declare that there can be info files ending with
.info and that no decoding has to take place on these, isn't it ?

Unfortunately, NTEmacs seems to ignore this variable at all and only
searches a file with exactly the name that follows the associated menu
entry within the dir file (eg 'bison', no suffix).

Does anyone know about this or did I only misunderstand something ?

Regards
=uli=

PS:
I recently solved this problem by adding symbolic links with the
non-suffix-names for all the files with a .info suffix. But what would have
done someone else, who hasn't got enough access rights to create symbolic
links within a non-public directory :-(