Subject: Fwd: Setting up Emacs, suggestions for code to include?

From: Geoff Voelker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 22:44:07 -0700 (PDT)

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Steve Kemp <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]
To: NTEmacs <[email-masked]>
Subject: Setting up Emacs, suggestions for code to include?
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 15:12:18 +0100

Hi,
  Recently I put together a simple Installshield installation script 
 for Emacs, and am just about to update it.

  I've come up with a simple function that will attempt to write
 lisp to a users .emacs file after asking them questions..  This will
 be used in conjunction with an Extra menu, setup in the users .emacs
 file - for accessing common functions.

  Something like "Do you want to send e-mail from within Emacs?"
 will result in the correct lines being inserted into their .emacs
 file.

  Hopefully this should simplify the process for complete Emacs
 virgins.

  I was just wondering what kind of things users might like to
 have setup for them, does anybody have any opinions?

  So far I control :-

   * Sending e-mail
   * ange-ftp.el
   * cua-mode.el
   * general settings
   * Line number mode
   * Scroll bar mode (This is in anticipation of jumping to Emacs 20.?)
   
  Theres a simplified version available at
   http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~skx/win/setup-emacs.el

Steve
- ---
------- end -------