Subject: Re: 2 ntemacs questions

From: Ulrich Beyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 11:00:06 +0200

Hi,

There has been a long thread about the problem with bold and italic fonts.
It seems to me that

- fonts that haven't got an italic or bold representation within the system
(e.g. fixedsys) cannot be displayed bold or italic at all.

- fonts whose italic or bold representations are not of the same height as
the default font is (e.g. Courier New's italic face is higher than the
normal and bold ones) cannot be displayed italic or bold no matter what
value win32-enable-italics has (?). This is because FSF Emacs cannot
display faces with variable heights whereas XEmacs can.

If you would like to use Courier New you will be able to use bold and
normal faces but I didn't succeed yet to display italic faces with that
font.

Correct me if I'm wrong ...

=uli=

----------
> From: Darin Johnson <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: 2 ntemacs questions
> Date: Mittwoch, 28. August 1996 03:38
> 
> First, how can I get bold and italic fonts enabled as faces?
> I've done:
>     (setq win32-enable-italics t)
>     (set-default-font "-*-Fixedsys-normal-r-*-*-17-102-*-*-c-*-*-ansi-")
>     ;(set-face-font 'italics
"-*-Fixedsys-normal-i-*-*-17-102-*-*-c-*-*-ansi-")
> 
> The last line is commented out because it complains "no matching fonts
> are the same height as the frame default font"...
> 
> Also, is there a way to have long lines wrap rather than be cut off
> with a "$"?  Ie, when I compile within emacs I can't see the most
> vital part of the error messages.  It wraps in a 19.28 version but
> I don't see anything special that I set...