Subject: magic numbers for courier new bold and italic faces

From: Skip Collins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 14:59:00 -0400 (EDT)

when i tried to enable bold and italic faces with courier new, using the 
faq instructions, it would not work. i kept getting error messages about 
not being able to find a font with the correct size. the faq gives the 
following font strings:

(set-face-font 'italic "-*-Courier New-normal-i-*-*-11-82-c-*-*-ansi-")
(set-face-font 'bold-italic "-*-Courier New-bold-i-*-*-11-82-c-*-*-ansi-")

i interpret this to specify courier new at 8.2pt, 11 pixels high. these 
are not valid numbers for my windows video and font settings. so, 
following some instructions earlier in the faq about determining the 
string for a particular windows font, i executed

(insert (prin1-to-string (win32-select-font))) 

in the *scratch* buffer. when i chose courier new italic at 8pt, the 
following string resulted

"-*-Courier New-normal-i-*-*-13-78-*-*-c-*-*-ansi-".

since i replaced the 11 pixels, 8.2pt setting with 13 pixels, 7.8pt in
default-frame-alist in .emacs, i can now use bold, italic and bold-italic
variations of courier-new. there is no need to set-face-font for italic or
bold-italic as the faq states. i expect that the correct pixel/point
combination will depend on the current video resolution. 

skip collins