Subject: Keyboard key question answered

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Dwork)
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 22:31:39 -0700 (PDT)

Answering my own question:
> 
> How can I get emacs to recognize my keypad keys as different from the
> regular keys?  I want to get [kp-7] instead of [home] or "7" (depending on
> NumLock)?  I get the same results with GUI emacs from "runemacs.exe" or
> "emacs -q" and console mode "emacs -q -nw" in a dos box.
> 

There is a difference in "describe-key" between NTemacs and unix.
On unix, describe-key on keypad 4 reports "kp-4", as does "view-lossage".
NTemacs describe-key reports "4" if numlock is on and "left" if numlock is
off.  Running "view-lossage" on NTemacs shows the first as "kp-4" and the
second as "kp-left".

Not sure if this is a bug or just a difference.  If it's not a bug it would
be nice to mention it somewhere in the FAQ.

Thanks,
Jeff
-- 
Jeff Dwork                      |  408-749-5216   |   [email-masked]
Advanced Micro Devices, M/S 45  |---------------------------------------
PO Box 3453                     |  The above opinions are mine,
Sunnyvale, Ca 94088-3453        |  not AMD's.