Subject: How I got PGP to compile.

From: Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 12:44:15 -0700

For those of you who want to use mailcrypt with emacs, you'll probably
want a 32-bit version of PGP to play with.

Note that I've never gotten mailcrypt to work perfectly: mc-decrypt
often leaves an empty buffer; some other command (I forget which) puts
at the end of the buffer three dots that don't belong there; and
mailcrypt is supposed to install itself when you read GNUS, but it
doesn't seem to -- I have to type M-x mc-verify RET, for example,
instead of C-/ C-c or whatever the key sequence is supposed to be.

But overall it's useful.  

First you'll need to get the PGP sources from
ftp.csua.berkeley.edu:/pub/cypherpunks/pgp.

Then just follow the directions in msvc.txt, and that ought to work.

Note that my patches insert preprocessor directives that look for the
constant "WIN32", and my makefiles define that constant.  It would be
cleaner if the preprocessor directives looked instead for the constant
"_WIN32", and the makefiles did *not* define it -- the compiler defines
that for us.

Also I think one of the patches says something like "#if (_MSC_VER ==
800)"; the "==" should of course be changed to ">=".