Subject: Re: Bugs with Emacs version 19.34.1 (Aug 29, 1996)

From: "Dr Francis J. Wright" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 14:38:57 +0100

Stephen R.Wolfe wrote:
> 
> I have been meaning to raise this question for quite some time
> myself. I try to avoid the menus because I noticed the same
> pattern. I'm using GNU Emacs 19.34.1 (i386-*-nt4.0) of Mon Apr 21 1997
> on ESME.
> 
>    From: [email-masked] (Francois-Nicola Demers)
> 
>    Many times per week my Emacs crashes badly on Windows 95. It says that
>    the program Explorer has made a general failure from the module
>    Krnl386.exe (and other times from User.exe).  Then Windows says that a
>    fatal error occurred .  I have to reboot.  It seems to me that it occurres
>    always when the menu is used with the mouse...

That's strange.  I use the menus a lot and I have not seen this
problem.  I did have a run of problems a while ago with Explorer
crashing on one of my machines, which is running Windows 95b, but I
don't think it was due to Emacs and it seems to have gone away by
itself.

Maybe you both have something non-standard in your setup, like a
third-party mouse driver?

However, I have noticed a couple of mild Emacs mouse/menu problems (with
version 19.34.1).  (1) Menus tend to disappear of their own accord in a
way that Windows menus do not normally (and I think should not) do.  I
suspect that this happens when Emacs is doing some regular update, such
as a mode-line update.  (2) If I select a region in an Emacs-Lisp buffer
using mouse triple-click and drag then the option to comment out the
region in the mode-specific menu is not enabled, whereas if I select a
region is some other way then the option is enabled.  After this problem
has occurred it can be hard to re-enable this option at all, but
eventually it comes back to life.  Maybe these are mild versions of the
problem causing crashes?

Francis

-- 

Dr Francis J. Wright  (Senior Tutor for Mathematics)
School of Mathematical Sciences   | Email:     [email-masked]
Queen Mary & Westfield College    | Telephone: +44 171-975 5453 (direct)
Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, UK  | Fax:       +44 181-981 9587 (dept.)
      World Wide Web Home Page URL: http://www.maths.qmw.ac.uk/~fjw/