Subject: Frame positioning bugs in NT Emacs 19.34

From: Michael Hotchin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 18:07:25 -0800

Hi, as the keeper of All That Is Good (TM), I'm sending you this.  if
this isn't the 
right place, please let me know so I can pass it on to the right
people...

I'm seeing weird behavior when I try to position the frames in Emacs.  I
actually
noticed this when try to crank up EDIFF, since it has a 'wide-mode' for
viewing
differences.

The behavior I'm seeing is that Emacs is consistently wrong about it's
internal
idea of where the frames are positioned.  For example, I execute this in
*scratch*:

(modify-frame-parameters (selected-frame) (list (cons 'left 0) (cons
'top 0)))

This is pattermed after similar code in EDIFF.

Immediately afterwards, I execute:

(insert (prin1-to-string (frame-parameters (selected-frame))))

Among the volumes of output, I see...
 (top . 25) (left . 6)

The offsets are consistently wrong by the same amount.

For even more fun, run the following a few times:
(modify-frame-parameters (selected-frame) (list (cons 'left 1)))

The frame will march down the screen, apparently by the same offset
amount that it's
reporting above.  In EDIFF, toggling Wide-Mode cause this relentless
march 
down the screen.

System:
NT 4.0 SP2

"GNU Emacs 19.34.1 (i386-*-nt4.0) of Wed Aug 28 1996 on BANANA-FISH"
(from the distribution).

I also do the following, (among other things), in my .emacs...
(menu-bar-mode 0)

(setq default-frame-alist
      '((width . 60) (height . 50)
	(top . 225) (left . 790)
	(cursor-color . "red")
	(foreground-color . "black")
	(background-color . "white")
	(horizontal-scroll-bars . nil)
	(vertical-scroll-bars . nil)
	(font . "-*-Terminal-normal-r-*-*-12-90-*-*-c-*-*-oem-")))

(setq initial-frame-alist '((width . 97) (height . 83)
			    (top . 0) (left . 0)))

	Mike H.

	[email-masked]