Subject: Re: Emacs hanging.

From: [email-masked] (Tom Horsley)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 97 14:31:47 -0400

>Have anyone else had similar problems, and perhaps even found some
>remedy?  

I have emacs hang anytime the network service it is trying to talk to isn't
actually disconnected, but isn't responsive either. With the problems
worldnet had in the past with their mail servers, I would often hang
(seemingly forever) trying to check for new mail using VM. I've never looked
at the source code, but from the external behavior I get the impression the
socket stuff might be using blocking calls with no (or exceedingly large)
timeouts.

I could often run netscape or outlook or something to try to read mail at
close to the same time, and they would only sit there for a few minutes,
then give me an error about mail server not responding.

--
[email-masked]  or  [email-masked]
Work: Concurrent Computers, 2101 W. Cypress Creek Rd. Ft. Lauderdale FL  33309
The 2 most important political web sites: http://www.vote-smart.org (Project
Vote Smart), and http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/ (Me!)