Subject: Re: mkisofs

From: Andrew Innes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 11:06:54 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997 16:43:41 -0400, Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> said:
>>It sounds like it would be most useful to have one group for Windows
>>95/NT, and another for MSDOS and Windows-16.  Do you agree?

Yes.

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997 01:49:40 -0400, Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> said:
>How amount gnu.mswindows32.help, and gnu.msdos.help.

These seem quite reasonable to me.

AndrewI

---

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 16:43:41 -0400

> 95/NT, and another for MSDOS and Windows-16.  Do you agree?

    I agree (provided that such special GNU groups are indeed needed).

Andrew and Voelker, do you agree that this is the right way to split
them up?

---

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 13:54:41 +0300 (IDT)

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Richard Stallman wrote:

> It's useful to keep GNU in the users' minds;
> for this reason, it would be good to set up a GNU newsgroup
> for use on MSDOS even though comp.os.msdos.djgpp exists.

I think people who use DJGPP have GNU in their mind most of the time.
It is my impression that about half of the messages on c.o.m.d is
related to GNU software (as opposed to DOS specifics, protected mode,
etc.).

One thing that might bring GNU closer to DJGPP users' minds would be
to post GNU announcements to c.o.m.d (but this should first be
discussed with people who read that group, to see what they think).

Perhaps if you could read the DJGPP group for a while and tell which
aspects of GNU are rarely or never mentioned, we could make this
discussion more specific.  For example, what kind of information would
you like to see on or post to the GNU MSDOS group?

> Do you think that would create any great problem or make many people
> unhappy?

Not unhappy, just confused as to where to post questions and
information.  Having 2 groups instead of one always complicates
things.

> If so, what would be good names to indicate clearly the purposes of
> the two? 

gnu.dos-windows3 and gnu.windows-nt?