Subject: newsgroups vs mailing list

From: Amol Deshpande <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:52:34 -0700

geoff,

I read your comment on the list archives about not being convinced that
a newsgroup would degrade the
quality of the list and thought I would voice my concern.

a HUGE problem with posting to a newsgroup these days is that spammers
get your email address. I 
had to drop out of a lot of microsoft.public newsgroups for this reason.
Months after my last post with 
my real email address, I continue to get spam email. I know you can fake
return addresses, but most
people may post a couple of times without realising the need to do so.
And a couple of times is all 
those scum need to grab your address.

I greatly fear this will discourage people from posting answers to
questions etc.

just my opinion, of course.

thanks,
-amol