Subject: [[email-masked]: Popup menu implementation & mouse events]

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 18:19:30 -0400

Could you please do the right thing?

------- Start of forwarded message -------
Sender: "Michael Welsh Duggan" <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
Subject: Popup menu implementation & mouse events
Cc: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Mail-Copies-To: [email-masked]
From: "Michael Welsh Duggan" <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Apr 1997 09:09:36 -0400
Organization: Schenley Park Research, Inc.
Lines: 23
X-Newsreader: Gnus v5.4.33/Emacs 19.34
Posted-To: gnu.emacs.help
To: [email-masked]

The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
that has been posted as well.

I am working on the popup menu code for the NT version of Gnu Emacs,
and I need to know what should happen in certain cases.

1) A menu is set up to execute on a specific mouse-down event.  A
click for that button/modifier combination is generated.  As the menu
was created by the mouse-down, should the click event go through?

2) A menu is set up as in 1.  If a user clicks and holds, should the
menu pop up and allow them to select an entry by releasing the mouse
button on a menu entry, or should the menu wait for a seperate
mouse-down?  Does it make a difference if this can only be implemented
on the right and left buttons (not the middle)?

3) If the answer for 2 is the first option, what events should be seen
by emacs?

4) Keeping in mind that way I am implementing popup menus is
aplication modal, should emacs recieve any mouse-move events generated
during menu selection?

- -- 
Michael Duggan
([email-masked])
------- End of forwarded message -------