Subject: High-priority Emacs

From: "Nico Francois" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 18:28:54 +0100

I don't know how much this has annoyed anybody else, but if you are 
doing heavy-duty stuff in the background NTEmacs becomes almost 
unbearably sluggish.

Well, I got so fed up with this that I downloaded the source, added a 
single

    SetPriorityClass (GetCurrentProcess(), HIGH_PRIORITY_CLASS);

to an appropriate spot in w32fns.c and recompiled.

This worked perfectly.  Running as a high-priority process Emacs no 
longer suffers from the aforementioned sluggishness as it gets enough 
CPU cycles when you are working with it.  Joy! :)

And when you are not using Emacs it is idle anyway, so it doesn't 
matter that it has a high priority (0% CPU time is the same at every 
priority :-).

Could this (perhaps optionally) be included in 19.35 ?  What are the
views of others about this ?

IMHO this change has no big drawbacks.  Yeah, fine, if font-lock is
fontifying your buffer it will potentially suck up some more CPU
time than normal, but I can live with that. 

                                _o
   Nico Francois                 #>    Sr. Software Engineer
   <[email-masked]>     4     Scala Computer Television