Subject: NT-Emacs 19.34

From: Craig Dickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 16:48:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I've been using NT-Emacs for a while (since about 19.28) and I think you've
done a great job on it. I have a few requests, though, which I would take
care of myself if I really felt like ftp'ing all the source (I just grab
your binaries) and wading through it to find the right lines...

(1) As we all know, well-thought-out command shells glob the command line
for you. NT's, though, doesn't, so apps have to do it themselves. Since NT
Emacs doesn't, "runemacs file.*" doesn't work the way one would like it to.
Think you could slip in some #ifdef _WIN32 code to take care of this?

(2) I have edited my registry to associate the command 'runemacs "%1"' with
the "open" action (NT 4.0) for text files so I can bring Emacs up by
double-clicking on a file in the Explorer. This works, but Emacs always
gets the 8.3 MS-DOS filename rather than the long filename, which is mildly
annoying. Any idea why this should be? The effect seems to be the same
whether or not I enclose %1 in quotes. However, if I change "runemacs" to
"notepad", notepad.exe gets the long filename.

(3) Attempting to close Emacs via the system menu (or NT 4.0 close button)
seems to do nothing but display "Quit" in the minibuffer when there are
modified buffers. I would expect it to act just like C-x C-c.

Again, thanks for doing such good work with NT Emacs.

Craig