Subject: console rlogin client

From: "David W. Kelley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 09:10:26 -0400

Since there seems to be no console telnet client that works with Emacs, I'll
mention a console rlogin client that does, sort of:

   ftp.the.net:/pub/mirrors/microlib.cc.utexas.edu/nt/tcpip/nrlogind.zip.

I installed rlogin.exe, and modified my startup file to include:

   ;; for rlogin

   (setq rlogin-directory-tracking-mode nil)

   (defun my-rlogin-hook ()
     (setq comint-process-echoes t))

   (setq rlogin-mode-hook 'my-rlogin-hook)

Presto, M-x rlogin works.  Glitches I observed:

   * Prompt is echoed.

   * Gets confused with interactive commands like line-mode ftp.

Source is included in the release, so perhaps someone with more initiative
and time than I have can fix these problems.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David W. Kelley                 phone:  (919) 677-8000 x6052
SAS Campus Drive                e-mail: [email-masked]
Cary, NC 27513                  visit SAS at http://www.sas.com/