Subject: GNU-Emacs.19.31 Problem

From: Franz Regensburger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 10:04:19 +0200 (MET DST)

Hallo Geoff,

I downloaded GNU-Emacs-19.31 a few days ago an managed to
install it on my WIN95 PC without problems. Besides lot of
fun and relief about the fact that I now have a reasonable 
editor on my PC, I've got a minor problem.

- I CAN execute commands with shell-command  M-! 
- I even CAN invoke an interactive DOS-shell M-x shell
- but I CANNOT run the command shell-command-on-region M-|

When I invoke e.g. 'M-| sort' with some portion of text marked in a region
the system completely hangs. Another example is the command
hexl-find-file which uses shell-command-on-region in the hexlify and dehexlify
functions. It seams that piping the region into STDIN of the called process 
doesn't work.

Since interactive shells work, which I guess was lots of work to make it run,
I suppose that I just missed to customize some appropriate variable.

Do you have some idea?

Thanks a lot,

Franz