Subject: Shell in shell mode is not a tty

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 08:27:24 -0700

Hi All,

  I am running 19.34 ntemacs on windows nt 4.0.
I am using mks shell. 

  I have noticed that some commands hang when executed in shell mode of
ntemacs but not when executed from the dos command line. 

 The reason, in my case, for this is that the shell in shell mode is not
a tty. This is confirmed by typing tty, the response will be "not a
tty". If I type tty on the dos command line window running mks shell I
get "CONS$0". I have looked at the source for the programs with the
problem and found a block that checks if the shell is a tty if not
nothing is sent to stdout. 

  Does anyone know how I can make my shell in shell mode be a tty?

I have noticed alot of email concerned with shell mode ntemacs problems.
THis may be the cause of alot of it.

Thanks,

Chris Campbell

Analogy, Beaverton OR USA