Subject: Re: Emacs 19.34: ^M in (bash) shell buffer

From: "Michael Welsh Duggan" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Sep 1996 11:07:21 -0400

[email-masked] writes:

> I leaped from 19.31 to 19.34 and started to get gratuitous ^M's in my
> shell buffer (and some others, but I assume the cure will fix all of
> them).  And I seem to remember a message addressing this problem but
> cannot find it.
> 
> What is the cure?

This depends on where you got your binaries.  If you ftp'd the
binaries that Voelker supplies, than the problem is more widespread
that I thought, and I don't know an answer.  If, however, you compiled
the binaries from the source yourself, were you using MVC++ 4.2?  If
so, the first fix to use is to compile with MVC++ 4.1 instead (some
default somewhere was changed behind our backs).  If this is difficult
to do, the following change fixes the problem for me in 4.2, as long
as there are no gratuitous ^Zs output by your shell.  (This change is
not necessarily endorsed by the ntemacs maintainers.)

Change the following line in nt.c

  rc = _pipe (phandles, 0, _O_NOINHERIT);

to

  rc = _pipe (phandles, 0, _O_TEXT | _O_NOINHERIT);

-- 
Michael Duggan
([email-masked])