Subject: Re: problem with auto-compression-mode

From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Aug 1996 09:09:00 +1300

In article <m0usmn9-000AzYC@mail>, Ronan Waide <[email-masked]> writes:

> I know there's a 32-bit shell of some sort provided with Perl for
> Win32 (check out www.perl.hip.com) which they use to get around some
> inconsistencies in return codes from COMMAND.COM; I don't know if it
> would have any other effects on the behaviour of the shell but it
> might be worth a try.

Perfect.  I could never get ange-ftp or ediff working properly with
bash, but hexl, metamail and others wouldn't work with command.com.

Now I've got everything I want working with just the following in my
.emacs (and the SHELL set in registry to D:\PERL5\BIN\CMD32.EXE)

(setq shell-command-switch "")
(setq ange-ftp-tmp-name-template "e:/tmp/ange-ftp")
(setq hexlify-command "D:\\Emacs-19.31\\bin\\hexl -iso")
(setq dehexlify-command "D:\\Emacs-19.31\\bin\\hexl -de")

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer
that you want me to.
        - Fleetwood Mac
-------------------------------- Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> -------