Subject: Re: Printing under Windows 95?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 09:33:39 +0200 (IST)

On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, David Ellis wrote:

> I still have a few glitches.  GNU Emacs is found in a directory under
>                 C:\Program Files\Desktop\emacs-19.34
> and apparently it can't parse a directory name with an embedded blank, even
> when it's enclosed in quotes.  This manifests itself when I tried to drag
> the "lisp/dos-fns.el" file into GNU Emacs:  It failed, saying it couldn't
> find the path
> C:/Program Files/Desktop/emacs-19.34/Files/Desktop/emacs-19.34/lisp/dos-fns.el
> in which components following the blank space are repeated.

I don't use Emacs compiled as a native Windows 95 application, so I can't 
help you here.  I've cc'ed this message to Geoff Voelker who maintains 
the Win32 version of Emacs so he could help you with this.

> Also, the "grep" function fails, yielding an empty set of results in all cases.

Do you have a port of `grep' program installed?

Following the advice in the readme supplied with NT Emacs, I'm sending this
bug report to this mailing list.

I'm using Emacs 19.34.1 on NT 4.0.

Emacs is installed in C:\Program files\emacs\.

If the directory C:\Program\ also exists, then runemacs gives an error
window containing "Could not start emacs.".

I *think* that C:\Program\ was created by the installation of Microsoft's
Power Toys (http://www.microsoft.com:80/windows/software/powertoy.htm).
C:\Program\ contained no files (just an empty subdirectory), and deleting
it had no ill effects so far on the Power Toys, and runemacs worked again.

Iain Tuddenham.