Subject: RE: [[email-masked]: Re: emacs on NT domains]

From: Gord Irish <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 15:57:33 -0500

At 08:15 AM 3/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I've seen an occasional problem on NT that sounds sort of like this. 
> I often double click a file to open it with emacs (I have the 
>extensions mapped).  Most times, emacs comes up fine (though slowly of 
>course).  But sometimes it hangs like you describe below (though it 
>only takes 7 or seconds for the window to appear).  It's like it 
>starts up the window and basic emacs ok, but then it hangs getting the 
>file or something.  I can access the menus, but they do nothing.  The 
>only way to kill it is with the Task Manager.
>
I get a similar thing when starting Emacs from a shortcut on the 
desktop. The Emacs window comes up, the menus come up and will drop
down, the status bar doesn't show up and nothing works. I have to
kill it with the Task Mangler. Simply starting again from the shortcut
always works fine. Somtimes it starts all the way up on the first 
attempt. This is running on NT 4.0 with a slow domain controller. 
Is it possible that Emacs makes requests to the domain controller that
are timing out?

- gord
---------------------------------------------------
Gord Irish                        [email-masked]