Subject: [[email-masked]: emacs not detaching properly under NT]

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 15:24:58 -0400

Please do the right thing.

------- Start of forwarded message -------
From: [email-masked] (Chang-Sun Lin)
Subject: emacs not detaching properly under NT
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 16:37:33 -0700 (PDT)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Length: 715       

Version/OS: Geoff Voelker's precompiled ntemacs 19.32.1 binaries, running
under NT 3.51 SP 2

Description: When I start emacs as a detached process from a console
window using "start /b emacs", it pops up in a separate window and
behaves normally. But if I try to exit the parent shell with the
"exit" command, the shell hangs, waiting for the emacs process to
complete. If I kill the shell by double-clicking on the close box, the
emacs window is also killed immediately, without prompting for a save.
I'm not running the emacs executable from a script or batch file. Other
NT applications don't "hang on" to the console window like this, which leads
me to believe this is a bug.

- ------
C J Lin
[email-masked]
------- End of forwarded message -------