Subject: telnet in win95-emacs

From: Naftali <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 21:31:39 +0300

I've seen the following explanation in your site
**************************************************
How do I use telnet with Emacs?

As far as I know, there is no telnet client that you can successfully
use as a subprocess to Emacs, and so
telnet mode does not work. Most telnet clients for Windows are GUI apps
that use their own windows;
Emacs requires a console app that works with pipes. 

To get telnet working with Emacs, I see two possibilities. One is to
implement a version of telnet.el that talks
the telnet protocol directly (c.f. the gnus implementation), skipping
the telnet program altogether. The other
possibility is to implement a console version of telnet. Chris Szurgot
<[email-masked]> has a console
app telnet on his ftp server (see
ftp://ftp.itribe.net/pub/virtunix/telc10a.zip), but it unfortunately
uses direct
console input and output. This version can be hacked to use stdin and
stdout, and then could be used as an
Emacs subprocess. 
*********************************************************************

I hacked that version of emacs (telc10a.zip written by Igor Milavec) to
work with stdin and stdout but without handling of Escape Sequences ( I
don't use them ), It works great from inside emacs as a
comint-subprocess or from a shell inside emacs. If it can help I can
send you a copy.

Bye, Naftali.